Renovation, instalation of firefighting Sprinklers

Help and advice for your real work in new or renovation, interior or exterior.
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 25/09/12, 14:52

Basic passive fire protection is very effective in dividing the risk by 10 to 100 !!

Do not smoke, do not overload the electric wires in power, respecting the maximum power by plug and extension wires in general 10A or 2KW !!
By having 30mA circuit breakers and fuses.
By not putting papers or clothes on electrical devices or transformers to block their vents, and block their cooling, ideal for setting fires.
It is good to eliminate transformers or other devices that get too hot (for lamps or others because they are badly designed).

Avoiding flammable materials in the house, such as plastics, etc.

Finally by installing a lightning rod, as I did after receiving lightning with a fire that I stopped quickly within 2 minutes with a garden hose.
Spinklers would not have protected me, because not in the right place, in the attic.
The fire would not have started if a rubber had been non-flammable !!

The risk of lightning is not negligible on a house about more than 1/10 on a viie, in fact and much more in certain places attracting lightning, summits or seaside.
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 25/09/12, 16:20

Deledeco is right: prevention is better than cure.

- do not under insure, also insure the content.
- automatic fire extinguisher above the boiler burner (around 250 euros, can receive an alarm contact)
- throw away the heaps of cardboard, fabrics
- do not rely on old electrical installations, especially the French standard ...
- if necessary, recalculate the circuit breakers "as accurately as possible"
- have the chimney sweep and maintenance performed annually
- pay attention to the storage of flammable liquids

and you will only fear molotov cocktails and lightning in a ball :D

It is all a question of value relationship:

if you are mr everyone: your insurance is there
if you have works of art that are worth millions: resell one and team up like a pro.

It all depends on standards and firefighters too: in Belgium, (Philippeville) one of my clients rented 2 apartments above his butcher's shop: firefighters demanded fire doors, professional centralized fire detection, fire extinguisher, emergency lighting and maintenance contract.

At my sister's (10 homes), the firefighters have just demanded 2 additional fire doors and the transformation of the smoke-resistant walls which give onto the stairwell into fire walls.
(there is already centralized detection, fire-resistant stairs, emergency stairs, emergency lighting: this is an old senior home)

Note for our friends:

a fire door is made of wood and burns slowly. It is equipped with "pistons" which keep it closed at several points when the temperature rises. Particular care must be taken in the realization of the doorframe to avoid their too rapid combustion and smoke leaks.

But, let's repeat, all of this is to save lives! The building and the stuff, we don't care.
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 25/09/12, 17:27

antoinet111 wrote:Hi guys, I'm looking to install a sprinkler network in my house (kitchen, shower rooms, garage) but I can't find a way to stop the water automatically when the fire stops, would you a suggestion?

I never had a fire at home, but in my entourage if, and it's not cool ...

Goods.

Hello,

Again and again: Prevention is better than cure!

I add a layer ... flame retardant : Cheesy:

Since we know that what triggers the Sprinkler is the little bubble that serves as a valve opening and that only triggers when the temperature is high because it melts, it is already too late, since it indicates that the fire is already gone! So the Sprinkler is not so much used to extinguish the fire as to slow its progression.

I therefore advise you to invest above all in prevention:

- smoke detectors (of different types);

- infrared alarms (or whatever);

- emergency lighting in the event of a power failure;

- list of routine checks to be done (especially when leaving the home);

- install a "safety cut" efficient, better than a Sprinkler in the event of a short-juice, since it will cut the current before reaching the critical threshold of a fire, because it cuts the current instantly in the event of a problem (and which does not risk d "get to the point that some cables will fuse and still let current flow without being interrupted ... Or heat above the critical threshold, as Dedeleco suggests. Or not like a fuse: cut, but too late, as in the case of electric arcs or what do I know ...)

- do not smoke in the house (now we easily admit going outside to smoke, whereas a few years ago, it was impossible to impose it) ... Or we put ashtrays in secure places and attached to the wall, so it's safe, even if we watch over grain with smoking guests ...

- in active prevention: put ALL the devices on stainless steel plates or fireproof materials and away from any combustible material: like that if it burns out, it remains limited to the devices in question (watch out for the power cables, it can also burn). Because contrary to popular belief, a ground plug does not guarantee that a short juice will not set the house on fire!

- eliminate all flammable materials near heat sources.

- put all obsolete batteries for recycling (and those which are not such as Li-on or others, in a container supporting fire, like terracotta pots ... And to be treated as a source of heat: far any flammable object / coating ...)

- do not put cloths soaked in oil in a drawer (since the gases released can cause it to ignite spontaneously).

- regularly sweep chimneys (1x per year).

- obviously if you have kids, you have to put all the lighters and other flammable products under lock and key ...!

- have fire extinguishers where you need them: kitchen, near a chimney, etc ...

- have proper electrical installations (beware of house DIY which will be quickly detected in the event of a disaster, in which case the insurance will not pay or poorly), and not have electrical cables running everywhere ... Pass the cables electrical in fireproof conduits / angles.

- get rid of all the furniture, flammable arrangement and replace it with something that does not burn.

- avoid carpet rugs, even curtains and floor coverings that are not treated against fire ... (Pay particular attention to electric heaters).

- See the insulation issues (polystyrene is a great danger, whereas in principle cellulose wadding is non-flammable).

- if you have a garage, also put in a fire extinguisher (a car contains a gas tank and it can burn ... so we disconnect the battery when not in use !!! It's b_A ba ...)
EDIT: (some points already mentioned)

All this presupposes having order at first sight in his affairs. : Mrgreen:

Then the sprinkler is contraindicated, because depending on the type of fire, it is not with water that you extinguish the fire! Agree with the fact that in some cases water is worse than evil (with oil in particular it stirs it up, or if it vaporizes creating flashback phenomena) ...

But the fundamental point is that you have to act upstream (do everything so that the fire has no chance of declaring itself AND / OR of spreading) and that is worth all the Sprinklers in the world.

Surely there must be a "What do i know"dedicated to this topic?
0 x
Alain G
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Alain G » 25/09/12, 17:39

So the Sprinkler is not so much used to extinguish the fire as to slow its progression.

My beauf is a fire extinguisher technician and I assure you that in many cases the fire is extinguished when the firefighters arrive.

The water damage depends on where these systems are located and when we plan to recover the water ben there is not too much damage!

There are always Co2 systems that do no damage but are very expensive, they are used in computer server rooms.
0 x
Stepping behind sometimes can strengthen friendship.
Criticism is good if added to some compliments.
Alain
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 25/09/12, 17:43

Hi Alain G!

Ok, well defend the brother's steak, huh! : Cheesy: : Mrgreen: [joke "OFF"]

But then explain to us how the Sprinklers can leave if there is not already a sufficient rise in temperature ( :D )

Be that as it may, I have no particular interest in defending - whether or not they have perfected their system, it does not matter to me - since I just drew attention to the fact that the preventive measures, in general, are taken upstream! When the fire has started, it is a bit late to think about making it ...

This is what many of us said and thought above!

That's the bottom line, amha. : Lol: 8)
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 25/09/12, 18:05

In any case, the sprinkler is above all HIGHLY DECORATIVE!

I imagine the cries of joy from Madame when you are going to install this at home : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen:

Alain G said:

- do not put cloths soaked in oil in a drawer (since the gases released can cause it to ignite spontaneously).

Indeed, the furniture oil (in pine, I think) on a cotton cloth ignites spontaneously.

Anecdote: when we installed the sprinklers at my garage customer (firefighters' requirement), I asked with a naughty smile to the 2 guys who had been moving around for a good 3 weeks: "and how do we check your thing?" .
"Don't worry, they told me: it is done with compressed air. We come with a big compressor"
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
sen-no-sen
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sen-no-sen » 25/09/12, 18:06

Obamot wrote:
- get rid of all the furniture, flammable arrangement and replace it with something that does not burn.

It is acceptable in business but not for individuals.
Classified furniture (M1, M2, M3) costs a fortune.
The best is to limit the calorific potential (avoid the storage of paper, flammable product, various objects etc.).
For the rest it figures very quickly ...

Alain G wrote:

My beauf is a fire extinguisher technician and I assure you that in many cases the fire is extinguished when the firefighters arrive

In France, the regulations on AIS (automatic water extinction) impose a flow rate of 2,5 to 30 liters per minute per sprinkler head, its last watering between 9 and 16m2, we can therefore understand that the fire is quickly calmed ...
However, as Obamot mentioned, the role of the sprinkler is above all to prevent the fire from advancing.
There are also nearby technologies, such as irrigated building elements (water curtains) mainly used in theaters and cinemas.

The water damage depends on where these systems are located and when we plan to recover the water there is not too much damage!

Once again, this is a fairly heavy investment, which can only be seen in the context of a large area.
For water damage, this ranges from a few thousand to a few hundred thousand euros ... in order to avoid millions of losses.
0 x
"Engineering is sometimes about knowing when to stop" Charles De Gaulle.
antoinet111
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by antoinet111 » 25/09/12, 18:35

Hello guys, well I just went to see a big fire station (Pontivy), the guys do not know a house equipped, but do not comment on the curative action apart from the fact that the interventions that 'they have to do in this kind of cases are commonly successful.

regarding preventive measures, thanks for the list Very interesting that you did, I copied it and would apply it carefully.

still active security interests me a lot, I found new stainless steel sprinklers for 20 € fdp in 5. (LBC)

a very important thing i think is the amount of water, it is not necessary to bring a huge amount of water
example: http://www.directindustry.fr/prod/fike- ... 42412.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ot4pby2D7o
0 x
I vote for the writing of concrete post and practicality.
Down the talkers and ceiling fans!
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 25/09/12, 19:06

You can also take inspiration from professional doc which there is plethora on the woueb:

http://www.icsi-eu.org/francais/dev_cs/ ... cendie.pdf

http://www.deparisnet.be/incendie/SOBAN ... die_fr.pdf

Car attention, the list is to be completed with the other tips in this thread (mine is not complete, far from it)

Here's an idea that it's good! To go find the firefighters, indeed ...

But I doubt that they did not say much to you, because they are wary ... of arsonists: so they do not give by their pipes (you will tell me that it is a little normal for a firefighter : Cheesy: )

But you can always try in national fire prevention organizations, it exists in some countries!

By cons there is a radical thing for well insulated houses, it is air conditioning depleted oxygen... Thus we move the ignition point and the fire that was to occur does not occur / more (flash point ...). I have no more details, but it seems to be very effective!

This is what they do in planes, large libraries, cinemas, theaters and museums, even certain large surfaces etc ...

It is very effective, precisely when you are not there!

And it is safe for the human organism (because we do not deplete below a certain proportion, which means that the air is always breathable ...)

Here is this solution, still innovative, but which has existed for quite a year:
http://www.info.expoprotection.com/site ... 227345.htm
0 x
Alain G
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Alain G » 25/09/12, 19:38

Alain G said:

Quote:

Hi Elephant!

It was not me who said that but hey!

I was going to talk about the fog made with a Karcher which limits water damage a lot but Antoinet111 has already posted a link, it could be triggered with temperature probes and high pressure valves for each zone.

At the limit of greenhouse fog sprinklers would be much less expensive but much more necessary!
Last edited by Alain G the 25 / 09 / 12, 19: 40, 1 edited once.
0 x
Stepping behind sometimes can strengthen friendship.

Criticism is good if added to some compliments.

Alain