Leaking zinc gutter pierced by corrosion: why? Emergency repair and what lasting solution?

Help and advice for your real work in new or renovation, interior or exterior.
Christophe

Re: Leaking gutter pierced by zinc corrosion: why? Emergency repair and what lasting solution?

by Christophe » 09/07/21, 14:06

Macro wrote:the aluminum of your panels is not in contact with your gutter? I do not really see how there could be galvanic corrosion with rainwater which is moreover very little conductive… Moreover I think that the flow of water of your gutter would be more impacted than the downpipe….

Not at all in direct contact and they are under glass and attached to I would say 99%!

So little contact but with heavy rain with a continuous stream of water there is a "contact" ... but yes the rain water normally does not conduct well so it remains mysterious for me ... Mystery 1

Could the bottom zinc plates contain some lead?

Macro wrote:I must ask my nephew about this…. He is not a chemist but a roofer ... His specialty is listed buildings ... Well, he must not see a lot of aluminum on this kind of roofs….

Ah yes great, show him the photos of my pierced gutter ... also tell him that the horizontal part presents no problem (Mystery 2) ...

Suddenly I wonder if Ahmed's 1st hypothesis was not the right one ... some dirt in the gutter whose decomposition would have attacked the zinc (it is nevertheless punctured a little before this bend on a completely vertical part or nothing can stagnate ... Mystery 3!)?

I understand better bistro zinc than gutter jcrois !! : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen:
0 x
Christophe

Re: Leaking gutter pierced by zinc corrosion: why? Emergency repair and what lasting solution?

by Christophe » 09/07/21, 14:36

GuyGadeboisLeRetour wrote:https://www.econologie.com/forums/renovation-travaux-immobilier/gouttiere-qui-fuit-percee-par-la-corrosion-du-zinc-pourquoi-reparation-d-urgence-et-quelle-solution-perenne-t16920.html#p454171

Yes thank you I had seen and read! But that does not directly answer my problem ... it is one of the tracks but not the only one ... If it is correct, it is necessary to find which pair of metals is incompatible: renovation-works-real estate / aqueous-corrosion-galvanic-electrochemical-couples-of-main-metals-and-alloys-t16926.html a priori Alu Zinc but why with rainwater and without direct contact?

And apart from putting magnesium I don't see what it is possible to do ...

I am impatiently awaiting the response from Marco's nephew!
0 x
gildas
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

Re: Leaking zinc gutter pierced by corrosion: why? Emergency repair and what lasting solution?

by gildas » 09/07/21, 15:12

I suggest a resistance measurement of the bottom of the roof in contact with the wet slate (after a rain shower) and the zinc gutter ... How to detect a pile effect?
0 x
Christophe

Re: Leaking zinc gutter pierced by corrosion: why? Emergency repair and what lasting solution?

by Christophe » 09/07/21, 15:24

Okay I would do that ... On the damp slate? I understood well ?
0 x
gildas
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by gildas » 09/07/21, 17:34

Yes on wet slate. Stitched in several places on the tiles ... To see if the humidity makes electrolyte ...
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 09/07/21, 17:51

Ok I will do this ASAP!

As long as I do, I would also do with the frames of solar PV panels ...
0 x
Macro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Macro » 09/07/21, 18:50

For my nephew .... Without appeal ... Chemical defoamer without subsequent passivation ...
0 x
The only thing safe in the future. It is that there may chance that it conforms to our expectations ...
Macro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Macro » 09/07/21, 18:53

On the other hand .. Ensure electrical continuity over the entire height of your zinc coating ... You are a flowerpot and your silicone gaskets do not ensure that ....
0 x
The only thing safe in the future. It is that there may chance that it conforms to our expectations ...
Christophe

by Christophe » 09/07/21, 19:01

Macro wrote:For my nephew .... Without appeal ... Chemical defoamer without subsequent passivation ...

Thanks, okay!

But I have never used this since 2007 ... and it has deteriorated since!

Mystery 4!
: Cheesy:
0 x

Back to "Renovation, construction and real estate work: help, advice and methods ..."