Leaking zinc gutter pierced by corrosion: why? Emergency repair and what lasting solution?

Help and advice for your real work in new or renovation, interior or exterior.
Macro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Leaking gutter pierced by zinc corrosion: why? Emergency repair and what lasting solution?

by Macro » 07/07/21, 15:36

Personally, I put 3 dogs sitting in my roof in 2005. The zinc work that was sold to me does not react to the magnet. I had to type all the soldering with the tin bar ... I saw on my roofs only zinc or on stopping sheets of pure lead ...
0 x
The only thing safe in the future. It is that there may chance that it conforms to our expectations ...
Christophe

Re: Leaking gutter pierced by zinc corrosion: why? Emergency repair and what lasting solution?

by Christophe » 07/07/21, 16:18

Thank you for all your answers ! It's nice, glad you are interested in the subject!

I answer the one that compiles a bit of everything:

Macro wrote:The gutter to Christophe at 40 years old .... It is possible that it is of low cost materials but ... I doubt it ... With regard to the welds .... In general the elbows and galvanized pipe are not not welded but held by folds ... Personally I really believe in a chemical attack either by the zinc worker with his zin7 or by the roaming demousseur with his chlorine cans ....
To be sure .... Christophe must do a magnet test ...

So magnet test done: it does not stick! So pure zinc a priori ...

Demousseur no idea if there was before 2007 since I lived there but in any case, there has been no more since and the gutter has deteriorated well over this period!

For the leaves, it is possible that there were some ... but if it is pure zinc a priori it is not that!

On the other hand, it is a gutter on this section of the roof: https://www.econologie.com/quelle-maiso ... r-en-2021/

So I also aluminum and lead or leaded zinc (I believe) on the roof also, I am not talking about the PV panels which date from 2019 but about the structure of the thermal solar panels (under the linear joints that we see it is aluminum and it necessarily trickles on) !

I did not think about it when writing the 1st message sorry !! : Shock:

I have to examine the gutters on the other side of the roof where there are only slates and stainless steel ...
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 07/07/21, 16:28

More photos of the solar system here: solar-thermal / solar-house-and-high-power-thermal-solar-panels-t5283.html

In this photo we can see how the system is made, I think the bottom end plate is not lead but zinc ...

I have lead on the top of my greenhouse there on and certain: renovation-real-estate-works / renovation-of-a-greenhouse-with-corrugated-pvc-sheets-turned-opaque-t7461.html
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 08/07/21, 18:22

And so the friends?
0 x
gildas
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by gildas » 08/07/21, 22:40

Power leak? (solar panels?) = electrolysis?
0 x
GuyGadeboisTheBack
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by GuyGadeboisTheBack » 08/07/21, 22:52

You have to try with a millivoltmeter to see if there is current.
0 x
gildas
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by gildas » 08/07/21, 22:56

The metals must also be compatible with each other ...
In the presence of humidity, the metal with the highest potential in the electrochemical classification decomposes the metal of lower potential and causes its deterioration (and ultimately its destruction ...) after a certain time by accelerating corrosion, this is what one calls an electrolytic couple between the 2 materials (effect of pile).

Simply put, water should not flow from a metal with a high potential to a metal with a lower potential.

https://www.girouette.com/content/20-co ... -et-cuivre
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 08/07/21, 23:42

GuyGadeboisLeRetour wrote:You have to try with a millivoltmeter to see if there is current.

The chassis of the PV panels is earthed ... it is a legal obligation ...

But you want me to measure between what and what?
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 08/07/21, 23:45

Gildas wrote:The metals must also be compatible with each other ...
In the presence of humidity, the metal with the highest potential in the electrochemical classification decomposes the metal of lower potential and causes its deterioration (and ultimately its destruction ...) after a certain time by accelerating corrosion, this is what one calls an electrolytic couple between the 2 materials (effect of pile).

Simply put, water should not flow from a metal with a high potential to a metal with a lower potential.

https://www.girouette.com/content/20-co ... -et-cuivre

I have copper these are the thermal panels ... but the water does not run on them ...

There remains the aluminum of the frame and the stainless steel of the slate hooks ...

The link you give is too light, I am going to revise my metal pairs I think I posted a table on the forum few months ago...
0 x
GuyGadeboisTheBack
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by GuyGadeboisTheBack » 08/07/21, 23:46

I don't know, I suck at electricity, but if there is any that goes through zinc, it must be able to be measured, right?
0 x

Back to "Renovation, construction and real estate work: help, advice and methods ..."