How to isolate a stone wall from the inside

Help and advice for your real work in new or renovation, interior or exterior.
Cuicui
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Cuicui » 20/12/14, 14:52

manny864 wrote:I also want to insulate my house from the inside. It dates from before 1800. It is not wet in itself, no trace of moisture on old wallpaper. We would like to thermally isolate the mud. Do you think this is a good idea? we want to renovate it in an ecological way.
That's great. A vapor barrier on the cob on the inside of the house would be helpful, especially if the house is well heated. The warmer the air, the more water vapor it contains, it would be a shame if it condenses in the mud.
0 x
manny864
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by manny864 » 20/12/14, 18:15

what type of vapor barrier? how many cm of cob should I apply? Should I remove the plaster from the wall and apply the cob directly against the interior stone? Can daub be a good insulator, it's pretty hazy the info on the net ...
0 x
Cuicui
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Cuicui » 21/12/14, 11:59

manny864 wrote:what type of vapor barrier? how many cm of cob should I apply? Should I remove the plaster from the wall and apply the cob directly against the interior stone? Can daub be a good insulator, it's pretty hazy the info on the net ...
I don't know if the mud is better insulator than the plaster. If so, remove the plaster and replace it with the mud. Thickness ? As much as possible ... Vapor barrier? To choose, you should know how you plan to finish.
Having never used a daub, I give up the place to less incompetent than me.
0 x
manny864
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by manny864 » 21/12/14, 14:41

Thank you, your advice is already precious ... so yes I thought I would remove the plaster in order to be able to marry my wall as well as possible and start again on healthy bases ... One of my questions too, is the capacity of my wall has borne a heavy loaded, apparently the cob has a fairly large weight? Should I use a wooden frame in all cases?
As for the finish, we would like a natural finish such as a layer of cob in finish or clay and linen, or clay + natural dye ...
0 x
manny864
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by manny864 » 21/12/14, 15:02

http://www.tiez-breiz.org/isolation.php

Apparently, it is highly inadvisable to use a strong layer of cob indoors ... and better to insulate the exterior ... I had already read that it was better ...
Me who dreams of seeing my house with exposed bricks ... :(
0 x
Cuicui
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Cuicui » 21/12/14, 22:49

manny864 wrote:http://www.tiez-breiz.org/isolation.php
Apparently, it is highly inadvisable to use a strong layer of cob indoors ... and better to insulate the exterior ... I had already read that it was better ... Me who dreams of seeing my house the exposed bricks ... :(
Obviously, insulation from the outside is preferable, but Fabrylily chose interior insulation and asked for help to achieve it. The thickness of the cob is not a problem provided that the cob is coated with an impermeable coating which prevents water from condensate from entering it.
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 21/12/14, 23:20

Pffff ... there are "indestructible" here! You see Manny, he hasn't read anything to me!

manny864 wrote:http://www.tiez-breiz.org/isolation.php

Apparently, it is highly inadvisable to use a strong layer of cob indoors ... and better to insulate the exterior ... I had already read that it was better ...

Exact !

Oh, some are ready to support any postulate, as long as they can sow doubt, and without strictly knowing the most basic rules, I think the best is to no longer answer them.
0 x
manny864
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by manny864 » 22/12/14, 10:49

In your case in my case, a very good insulation between each floor, can it be enough to insulate the house? with only an interior finishing coating of 2 or 3 cm of clay ??
0 x
Cuicui
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Cuicui » 22/12/14, 14:59

manny864 wrote:In your case in my case, a very good insulation between each floor, can it be enough to insulate the house? with only an interior finishing coating of 2 or 3 cm of clay ??
In the absence of an impermeable film, the clay will gradually absorb the moisture coming from the house and lose its qualities as a thermal insulator.
Currently, to insulate the exterior walls, the equivalent of 15 cm of polystyrene is used ... Good insulation of the walls is important to ensure the comfort of the inhabitants. It remains to be seen what degree of comfort you wish to obtain.
0 x
manny864
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by manny864 » 22/12/14, 15:05

I want good comfort but not a passive house either. Polistyrene is not very natural ...
0 x

Back to "Renovation, construction and real estate work: help, advice and methods ..."