It melts a lot in Greenland

Books, television programs, films, magazines or music to share, counselor to discover ... Talk to news affecting in any way the econology, environment, energy, society, consumption (new laws or standards) ...
martien007
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

It melts a lot in Greenland

by martien007 » 23/09/08, 00:55

Read here:

http://fr.news.yahoo.com/afp/20080922/t ... ff8aa.html

The melting of the ice sheet in Greenland is faster than expected (researchers)

AFP - Monday 22 September, 22h03COPENHAGUE (AFP) -

The melting of the ice sheet in Greenland, the icecap covering more than 80% of this island, is faster than previously estimated, due to global warming, said Monday a Danish researcher.

The ice cap of 1,8 million km2, containing 10% of the fresh waters of the planet, today loses about 257 km3 of ice creams per year.

It will record in 2080 a net annual loss of 465 km3, according to new assessments from a team of US-based experts working at the Arctic International Research Center at Fairbanks University in Alaska.

This net loss would be in 2080 "81% greater than that of today (...) leading to" a rise in sea level of 107 mm or some 11 cm ", said researcher Sebastian H. Mernild, in a press release.

Satellite observations indicate that "the global water level has increased" since 1993 by about 3mm per year, ie at a much faster rate than during the last century "(+1,7 mm per year) , he stressed.

"The melting season (in summer) of the ice sheet broke a new record in 2007, corresponding to a loss of 50% of the total ice surface. And this record will not be the last", according to this researcher.

"The melting at the end of the decade 2070 will see this percentage increase to 66%, or about 1,204 million km2", according to Dr. Mernild, at the head of this team of researchers, observing that this melting "takes place at a faster rate than estimated in the past ".

The calculations of this team, based on "climate models and scenarios" from the UN climate panel (IPCC) show "that the average air temperature will increase by some 2,7 degrees by the end of this century "in Greenland.

This thinning of the ice surface of the ice sheet is accompanied by an acceleration of the flow of fresh water towards the sea. About 400 km3 per year during the period 1998-2007, this flow will increase to some 675 km3 in 2070-2080, corresponding to an increase of 70% compared to the current period, according to models developed by these researchers.

"We can already notice that the salt content of the seas around Greenland has decreased (...) and this is naturally worrying, because this will have a lot of consequences for countries located in low areas "of the earth as in Asia. (Bangladesh, Maldives), he said, quoted by the Danish agency Ritzau.

This study, published in Hydrological Processes and the Journal of Hydrometeoroly, will be presented in December at a meeting of the American Geophysical Union (AGU) in San Francisco.
Last edited by martien007 the 23 / 09 / 08, 10: 26, 1 edited once.
0 x
Gregconstruct
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Gregconstruct » 23/09/08, 09:04

It actually melts a lot and this way could have other consequences than rising sea levels.

We could actually see the Gulf Stream disappear which would have the effect of giving a serious blow of cold to the European continent!
0 x
Every action counts for our planet !!!
martien007
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by martien007 » 23/09/08, 10:30

I find that this summer there is a big difference in temperature between day and night (on average) and in particular this month of September.

When the sun heats the day, it burns, and at night the temperature is below seasonal averages.

Indeed, the Gulf Stream can be slowed by the melting of fresh water ice in Greenland, but no one is talking about it at the moment ..... too concerned about the financial crisis : Lol:
0 x
Gregconstruct
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Gregconstruct » 23/09/08, 12:28

If you noticed, the snow came early on the Alps and the Pyrenees.
And we had the first nocturnal frosts in early September here in Belgium, which has become quite rare. But the NE currents that we have since early September helped this refresh.

Finally, in good big polar bear, cold does not bother me !!! 8)
0 x
martien007
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by martien007 » 23/09/08, 14:13

Exact greg the mountain biker.

Hence the interest in having a good "passive" solar house with a lot of glass surface on the SOUTH / WEST side and thus bring into the house the heat energy lost at night.
0 x
Gregconstruct
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Gregconstruct » 23/09/08, 14:17

Totally agree with you my dear Martian!

ps: I'm not only a mountain biker, there is also trail running, hiking, raids, ... : Cheesy:
0 x