Brachypodium, 1st bio-fuel organic GMO

crude vegetable oil, diester, bio-ethanol or other biofuels, or fuel of vegetable origin ...
Christophe

Brachypodium, 1st bio-fuel organic GMO

by Christophe » 20/09/08, 11:46

Le premier BIO GAS GM?

A small herb called Brachypodium would be of great help for research on organic fuels

Brachypodium disachyon, a small purple herb from temperate regions, advances research in bioenergy. John Vogel and Yong Gu, two researchers from the Agronomic Research Service (ARS) of the Research Laboratory of Albania in California, will accelerate research on bioenergy thanks to the success of the genetic transformation of Brachypodium disachyon, a grass, direct cousin of Switchgrass (Panicum virgatum) generally studied for the production of bioethanol.

Researchers are the first to successfully introduce a gene in the Brachypodium disachyon genome thanks to the use of the bacterium Agrobacterium tumefaciens. Already in 2002, David Garvin - a plant geneticist from the ARS - had been the first to take an interest in this plant. This geneticist had deciphered the whole of his genome and made it a model study plant, because of his small genome (~ 300Mbp), for the production of fuels. This study allowed Professor Yong Gu and his team to recently develop the genetic map of Brachypodium disachyon, a first for this plant. This genetic map makes it possible to locate each gene in the plant precisely. Many plant genetics laboratories located in more than 20 different countries are now working with this plant.

This new method of genetic transformation makes it possible to determine the functions of each gene in the plant more precisely than the usual methods. For this, the scientists succeeded thanks to the introduction of genes from the bacterium Agrobacterium tumefaciens, to inactivate the functions of certain genes of the plant in order to better determine other less known genetic functions.

This genetic breakthrough makes Brachypodium disachyon the most interesting plant for global research on plant genetics for biofuel production.

http://www.bulletins-electroniques.com/ ... /56006.htm

Why make risky and costly genetic transformations where nature could suffice? Answer: to sell it more expensive ...

Micro algae are not GMO ... at least for the moment.

https://www.econologie.com/forums/bio-fuel-s ... t6133.html
0 x
goumi
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Re: Brachypodium, 1st bio-fuel organic GMO

by goumi » 22/09/08, 16:37

Christophe wrote:Micro algae are not GMO ... at least for the moment.

It seems to me that those used by Bio Fuel Sytem are, however, right?
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 22/09/08, 17:18

Yes mea culpa but it is not an obligation ... at least I hope so ... otherwise the market is biased in advance.

In any case this very complete document does not speak of GMO species:
https://www.econologie.com/les-biocarbur ... -3566.html
0 x
Gregconstruct
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Gregconstruct » 22/09/08, 19:04

If the plants are GMOs, biofuels are no longer very organic, I find ... :frown:
0 x
Every action counts for our planet !!!
Christophe

by Christophe » 22/09/08, 19:17

This is what I wanted to say via the title "Bio Combustible OGM" :)
0 x
Gregconstruct
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Gregconstruct » 22/09/08, 19:20

It's nice to see that we understand each other dear friend : Mrgreen:
0 x
Every action counts for our planet !!!

Back to "biofuels, biofuels, biofuels, BtL, non-fossil alternative fuels ..."