Do not throw away your convectors toast improve them !!!!

Environmental impact of end of life products: plastics, chemicals, vehicles, agri-food marketing. direct recycling and recycling (upcycling or upcycling) and reuse of good items for the trash!
I Citro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by I Citro » 22/05/08, 10:17

: Arrow: There are subject matter experts on the forum.

I think your friend's chilliness could be overcome without heating up as much.:?

Your problem may come from humidity, insulation, cold walls, poor ventilation ...Image

It would be better to act on what causes the discomfort, rather than increase it by creating sources of heat which will contrast all the more with the sources of discomfort ...

To make an image, imagine a colander under a water tap, you open the tap a little, the water flows gently by the lower holes of your colander. If you open your tap wide, the water flows violently through all the holes in the colander. Balance sheet; you have consumed a lot more and the colander has not filled, the worse you have created eddies which increase discomfort.
The best solution is still to plug the holes in the colander ...:|

A mass stove (tulikivi type) for a house weighs between 1500kg and 4000kg. :| At this level, comfort is important.
In the past, 200kg cast iron radiators were used in houses for sometimes barely sufficient comfort ...

Do you think the ridiculous storage heaters sold today are comparable to 200kg of cast iron or soapstone :?:

This type of heating is suitable for "rooms of moderate size and properly insulated", as you can read on the sites of storage radiators, that says it all ... :x
Finally the prices ... : Evil: I bring everything in price per kg, then I compare ...
0 x
Superform
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by Superform » 22/05/08, 11:43

I was just talking about theory, because being an apartment tenant, I can't change much ...

Neither the heating mode, nor the edifying thermal bridges that I detected, nor even the open windows in the stairwell in the middle of winter ... :?

But within a year I think, I will have bought a house, and these criteria will be taken into account ...
(HS mode on) The main thing is to find a house that meets the maximum number of criteria we have given ourselves ... there will be concessions anyway : Cry: (HS off mode)
0 x
LOGIC12
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by LOGIC12 » 17/07/08, 21:27

hello: This is a simple DIY with the means at hand, so practically nothing costs which allows to have a radiator "more interesting" and much more pleasant to use. They heat up quickly as originally and you don't have this hot and cold effect.
I set them up instead of hanging them on the wall, and we use them as backup heaters.

Accumulation is very long-term inertia, it's something else, it takes weight and volume, and you have to look at the weather to charge just the right amount of the storage radiators that are nothing new, it's been more than 40 years that it exists. In addition, with these devices the distribution of heat is not good because we do not put a device in each room.

That said with the increase in oil and gas, many people are turning to electric heating. So when the electricity is produced by dams or wind turbines, that's fine, but with nuclear power plants which we are discovering problems at the moment, this is a real concern.
Given the tidal wave of electric heating, we risk seeing new nuclear power plants appear .....
0 x
LOGIC12
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by LOGIC12 » 17/08/08, 13:11

HELLO TO ALL: We should not confuse everything: inertia, accumulation. Accumulation is long-term inertia, I would even say very long-term. It's an "invention" that is easily 45 years old, it's not that great, because you have to watch the weather forecast to know how to charge for the next day: neither too much nor too little. And don't forget that the savings will be largely absorbed by the difference in the price of the subscription.

DIY the convector by doubling the sheets allows you to take advantage of the passage of hot air. Normally, the sheets heat up, but cool very quickly, if you double them with tiles, you keep the heat longer, so you give a little inertia WITHOUT HARMFUL TO THE NORMAL OPERATION of the device, and without any contact with the resistor that operates normally.

It is in some ways an experimental DIY.
The advantage is that we keep the heating speed of the convector, which is an advantage, and we reduce the jolts, because the heat is prolonged a little.

There is a better comfort, and if there is an advantage, it is only in a better use of the heat provided by the resistance, because it can be noted that by improving the regularity of heating one pushes the thermostat less .

When we tinker, we are not going to get soapstone, we do with the means at hand, and the tiling which is quite heavy is rather good. In addition, the tiling is thin, so does not obstruct the passage of air which must absolutely be preserved.

And also, it should be noted that the materials which keep the heat longer than the others, take longer to heat up.
But a longer heating time is particularly interesting for the combustion of wood for example, when the fire stops.
0 x
m_you49
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by m_you49 » 17/08/08, 15:49

Hello
We must not confuse everything: inertia, accumulation. Accumulation is long-term inertia, I would even say very long-term.

The accumulation is old "like my dresses". What else were the Romans doing by heating their thermal baths and villas with hot air under the terracotta floors?
It is an "invention" that is easily 45 years old.
Does inertia last 45 years? ': No? If it is that of the public authorities, yes!
This morning I heard the "Mémo" broadcast on France Inter. Recall of René Dumont's candidacy against Giscard in 1976. He died (Dumont, not Giscard) in 2001 without having seen the will of the rulers answer the questions he asked at the time on global warming, global pollution, scarcity of energy and food resources, global overpopulation, etc ..., etc ...
Remember that heating is only a compensation for losses. So limiting these must be a priority. But when you're a tenant, it's less easy. Perhaps inform the owners that aid linked to the improvement of the habitat exists and that one euro of aid entails on average 4 € of work. It makes craftsmen work, and even if we criticize them, it gives them a job, they are neither unemployed nor depressed. This is called collateral social treatment ': lol:'
Come on, @ +
Mil'd
0 x
Mil'd49

Back to "waste, recycling and reuse of old objects"