Disposable diapers: life cycle analysis, interest?

Environmental impact of end of life products: plastics, chemicals, vehicles, agri-food marketing. direct recycling and recycling (upcycling or upcycling) and reuse of good items for the trash!
At Sophia
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by At Sophia » 19/06/08, 17:20

Hi Anne-Sophie - definitely, we will always use the same kind of site :D

For the others, my namesake and I often come across various sites concerning washable diapers. A common passion.

To answer your last remark.
Pampers probably did not voluntarily put TBT or dioxin (degradation of chlorine) in its layers ...
But when you bleach paper pulp with chlorine and you make and transport sodium polyacrilate, you use plastic to wrap it all, you wrap it in a plastic bag, etc etc you are likely to end up with this kind of product, even if you didn't ask for anything !!

For the English study, I read almost 300 pages : Shock:
Indeed, I find it a little biased.
The tendency is rather to wash at 40 ° without fabric softener than at 90 ° with (even more absurd if you wash ONLY layers).
That alone is already changing a lot for the balance sheet.

But precisely, insofar as the balance sheet is very similar, for me, the conclusion is that if the initial assumptions on the maintenance of washable had been good, the balance tilted on the side of washable.
So, let's maintain our washable diapers in a more reasoned way and the balance sheet is ++

But honestly, I do not think that it is up to the APCL to carry out a study of this type. We will consider that the result is biased given your bias for washable fabrics.
Rather, we should fight for an NGO or the state or a state organization to commission this study. Hoping that it is not "sponsored" by the brands ...
Like the Belgian pediatric society which recommends certain optional vaccines. When we know that pampers and the seller of the vaccine feed the coffers of said company, we understood everything : Evil:

That's my opinion

On the other hand, if you have money, make (again) look for dioxins, TBT or formaldehyde in disposables.

And in washable too!
Because ultimately, if the fleece or another synthetic material is made from recycled plastic, which is common, there can be anything.
Cotton bleached with chlorine may also contain dioxins.
Studies have been done on clothes, not very clean, heavy metals and company.
What about the textiles used to make washable diapers?
Does it go to washing?
Few washable have the OKO test label
0 x