Save the planet - love your neighbors!

Current Economy and Sustainable Development-compatible? GDP growth (at all costs), economic development, inflation ... How concillier the current economy with the environment and sustainable development.
nonoLeRobot
Master Kyot'Home
Master Kyot'Home

Save the planet - love your neighbors!

by nonoLeRobot » 27/05/08, 11:35

Well, I didn't have time to write the article I wanted on Kyot'home before the neighbors' party.

But the idea is to show that the model of the suburban pavilion to end up in the (pseudo) countryside with a big wall so as not to be bothered by its cursed neighbors and to have its own swimming pool to be independent with its a garden (pseudo) organic (most of the time we end up treating) and above all, each mower turning the mixture is not ecologically viable (I think Rulian will confirm).

Indeed, it swallows up hectares of agricultural or forest area, it requires individual heaters with a lot of losses (the apartments heat themselves between them), it requires kilometers of paved road and especially the car that goes with it because this n is not dense enough to have local shops or public transport etc ...

So ultimately the most ecological solution is to live in dense urban centers (not necessarily big, it can be villages, but dense to do most of the work on foot by bicycle or public transport).
E not necessarily in large HLM bars, but it can be in buildings on a human scale with large parks nearby thanks to the space saved.

That said the problem is that the dream of the suburban lodge comes from being able to be quiet away from all these "city dwellers". So here is the idea is that we should reverse this vision, this dream of "countryside" and one of the first thing to do is to love your neighbors (at least to support them).

Hence the slogan "save the planet, love your neighbors" and take advantage of Neighbors Day (May 27) to improvise something if nothing is done (I know it's a little late) or especially participate if something thing is organized.

I have "organized" (like come have a drink and eat something, also bring something to share) mine in the hall of the building, at least one person will find the right idea and will help me. We will see this evening for the rest ...

Well it's longer than an article after all, but I will do something more argued with figures later and especially taking into account the comments you put :) .
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 27/05/08, 11:51

As I told you in real life, I do not quite agree ... living 50km from his job or more is stupid bullshit (which will soon be expensive ...) but there is not just that...

Your argument would be true if displacement constituted the major part of our environmental impact. Heating and food have more impact than transport ...

So how do we feed these megalopolises? With food imported further and further? How do we heat them? With mega-coal plants like the steam networks in New York? So what you gain here you lose it there ...

In addition, the concentration reduces the possibility of using diffuse RES requiring large areas such as solar for example ... I think that the development of teleworking is a more affordable solution ... quickly.

Take your case: as a researcher, I am almost sure that you could work several days a week at home ... so you heat 2 rooms and use transport (even in common it is better not to travel) ... Me deceived?

Finally, in the past, population concentration are not really examples of fulfilling life and ... I'm not just talking about low-cost housing: to bcp having your home is the accomplishment of a working life ... .

ps: good hangover : Mrgreen:
0 x
nonoLeRobot
Master Kyot'Home
Master Kyot'Home

by nonoLeRobot » 27/05/08, 12:13

Ah no for me precisely, I do not use transport in any case neither for work (700 m from work) nor for shopping (stores / shops nearby), I have little space in a well insulated building I only turned on the heater for 2 days.

For teleworking it is not really applicable (a large part of the decisions and new project is done by talking over a drink or coffee) and in any case not socially desirable.

In terms of supply, it is worth it to bring trucks to the stores and to the markets. In any case, most people in pavilions go to the supermarket in an industrial zone which covers hectares of surfaces, if only for parking. The supply is not more local than elsewhere except when exceptionally we know a farm in the area but it works for a chicken or 2-3 them from time to time.

for bcp having your home is the fulfillment of a working life ....
it is quite true and it is precisely this image that must be changed in any case for the ecology where the subject of this email.

Finally, in the past population concentration is not really an example of life development
There is also the problem that it is often those who are not favored who stay in "disadvantaged" neighborhoods as we say with little social and cultural activity, which is not the case for those who have the means. to be in the city center. .. I will finish later
0 x
nonoLeRobot
Master Kyot'Home
Master Kyot'Home

by nonoLeRobot » 27/05/08, 15:08

Typically what I think should be avoided and which grows everywhere on huge surfaces: Image
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 27/05/08, 15:29

Well then I agree with that but it was not clearly stated (even if I knew what you meant since we talked about it in real time).

In your initial post we believe to read: "All concentrated in the city and desert the countryside ..." well that's what I thought I read ...?
0 x
nonoLeRobot
Master Kyot'Home
Master Kyot'Home

by nonoLeRobot » 27/05/08, 23:46

Well, well, this neighbors' party was very nice. There were 7 apartments on ~ 20 + 1 who lent the chairs but could not come from all ages.

And suddenly Saturday I am invited to an evening. Since 1999 that the building exists it is the first year that it was done, they all appreciated and hope to do it again (obviously those who were there therefore already agreed).

In addition we learn a lot of practical tips (good local restaurants, or other good plans) technical or financial problems related to the apartment.
0 x