PCBs in the Savoy Lakes

Books, television programs, films, magazines or music to share, counselor to discover ... Talk to news affecting in any way the econology, environment, energy, society, consumption (new laws or standards) ...
martien007
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

PCBs in the Savoy Lakes

by martien007 » 02/04/08, 23:39

Better and better, everything is contaminated on this earth?

PCB contamination: fishing for Arctic char prohibited in the Savoyards lakes

Fishing for Arctic char - a groundfish in the salmonid family which lives exclusively in lakes - has been prohibited since Tuesday in the lakes of Lake Geneva, Annecy (Haute-Savoie) and Le Bourget (Savoie), following the discovery of levels higher than the maximum levels of polychlorinated biphenyls (PCB) in this fish announced Wednesday the prefectures of the two Savoyard departments.

In Haute-Savoie, analyzes carried out on 18 other fishes from Lake Geneva and nine other species from Lake Annecy showed consistent results, specify the services of the Departmental Directorate of Veterinary Services, which will undertake additional analyzes on the set of species in the coming weeks.

The Rhône-Alpes Federation for the Protection of Nature (Frapna) said Wednesday it was "very concerned" following contamination of this fish by PCBs.

"We are asking for additional investigations on all the tributaries of the Rhône and alpine lakes", indicated the Frapna, which reminds us that the same type of pollution is at the origin of the ban on consuming all the fish of the Rhône since August 2007 .

PCBs have been banned for sale since 1987 in France because of the fertility, growth or cancer problems they can cause. PCBs that have long been used as coolants, especially in electrical transformers, can release Dioxin when burned. PCB, a very stable molecule, accumulates in the aquatic environment in sediments and binds in the fatty matter of fish that are contaminated by food.
0 x
jonule
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jonule » 03/04/08, 10:29

all rivers in France for PCBs I think, except the Loire ... unless total has put its 500 tonnes of fuel there recently? ...

when we hear the fathers "but no one there told us 10 years ago that we shouldn't catch fish and eat them with the family" is there something to be worshiped after all I think they are?

boy will not be happy! : Evil:
0 x

Back to "Media & News: TV shows, reports, books, news ..."