More wind turbines but as much CO2

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
loop
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by loop » 22/02/08, 06:56

Hello

A 2 MW wind turbine costs 2 million euros
It's an order of magnitude
Imagine that 100% of the price (worst case scenario) of this wind turbine is the energy bill for the construction and that the kWh costs 0.1 euro (invoiced by EDF)
This wind turbine therefore represents an energy spent of:
2 / 000 = 000 KWh
A 2 MW wind turbine = 2 KWh in 000 hour at 1% load
or 400 KWh in 1 hour at 20%
The duration of energy efficiency will be:
20 / 000 = 000 hours or 400 days = 50 years
In other words, in the worst case you build the 2nd wind turbine 6 years after the first, the third 3 years after the 2nd, the fourth 2 years after the 3rd etc ...

Otherwise we can continue to operate uranium mines in our neighbors (swindled and irradiated) in Africa until exhaustion, it's really smarter and so much cooler to pollute others.

Good reflection
0 x
loop
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by loop » 22/02/08, 07:24

Wind turbine manufacturers must base their calculations on more favorable assumptions than mine
Energy bill of 50% of the sale price (normal, there is the margin, development costs, MO etc.) and a charge rate of 100%, which would explain the 6 months

For our dear nuclear power plants, I won't be surprised that a single reactor requires more than 1690 times the energy needed to build a wind turbine.
Besides, how much does a reactor cost?
And the embodied energy of reinforced concrete, pipelines, liquid sodium, uranium enrichment, etc.
Why do you buy the KWH at 0.1 euros if not because of the cost price of its production?

A+
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 22/02/08, 08:16

Ok for "energy efficiency". I think that the reality should be around 1/5 of the price ... well, it's a figure that I'm taking out of my hat to confirm or not.

For the price of the nuke, I believe (to be confirmed) that a reactor costs around € 1 billion.

Ah no it's 1.5 billion € / reactor after
http://www.sfen.org/fr/question/economie.htm

How much does a nuclear power plant cost?

The nuclear power plants in the 1000 megawatt range (1 million kilowatts, producing around 7 billion kWh per year) were built in France, during the nuclear program, for a unit cost which would now be around 1,5 billion euros per unit of 1000 MW.

Interesting page on the operation of a power plant:
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centrale_nucl%C3%A9aire

On the other hand I found an info on the cost of nuclear kWh http://www.industrie.gouv.fr/energie/nu ... nlande.htm on Finnish nuclear (French should not be very far):

according to the study by the Technological University of Laaperanta, the MWh produced by nuclear power would come to 21,5 euros (including including the costs of spent fuel management and dismantling of facilities) against respectively 24,1 euros and 26 euros for the coal and gas sectors. (2001 figures)

€ 21,5 per MWh = € 0,0215 per kWh
So there is "margin" at EdF ...

To vary the debate a little and give wind power an advantage: pkoi would CO2 be THE only ecological criterion for wind turbines? As you say: how much does African misery cost? (for our banker and engineer from areva or edf not much apparently ...) How much will waste cost in the future (although I am quite confident in the treatment of the future)? What about dismantling? Etc etc ... EdF currently pays vacations and other social privileges to its employees I doubt that it will put aside enough for the dismantling (afterwards it is like PSA they will go and cry for subsidies see https://www.econologie.com/forums/peugeot-ps ... t4863.html )
0 x
loop
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by loop » 22/02/08, 17:41

Since we are talking about the exploitation of uranium mines in Africa here is an overview of what is happening there

The reports drawn up by the group on the health and environmental situation of uranium mining sites in Niger and Gabon detect three sources of concern: safety measures and working conditions in the mines (almost non-existence of risk taking into account related to radioactivity, manifest insufficiency of safety equipment, ignorance of and non-compliance with safety rules, insufficient knowledge of the exposure dose measurement); error in medical diagnoses and "notorious information deficiencies", in particular for cases of cancer and illnesses linked to workers' activity (lack of medical monitoring by subcontractors, total lack of declaration of occupational illnesses that the legislation exists, question of independence of the doctors of the hospitals of the mining companies); the control of mining activity rendered illusory (lack of means for control bodies, whether they come under the labor inspectorate or the Mines Directorate).

This situation, of course, results in health impacts, but also environmental impacts: concerns about radioactive contamination of drinking water or waterways, unsafe deposit of uranium extraction residues, disturbing dust, equipment waste. mines reused in homes or public buildings… “The company is aware of the risks involved,” explains lawyer Jean-Pierre Getti. The voluntary maintenance of workers and retirees in ignorance of these risks and negligence in the general health and environmental consideration makes it guilty of this risk. ”

“It shocked us that after a few years,
workers were given dosimeters without them
nor doctors have access to the results. ”

Full article

http://www.continentalmag.com/archives/ ... tu_uranium

Happy reading and above all take a different look at our nuclear electricity, as if your own children were working there!

A+

[/ Code]
0 x
loop
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by loop » 23/02/08, 08:42

Hello

Obviously, the fate of the miners of Niger and Gabon does not move you much.
To join the subject on the cogeneration of power plants and their performance, it is clear that we are walking on the head.
Producing electricity from heat is nonsense.
Nature provides us with free mechanical energy (wind or water from dams) which guarantees unparalleled yield for electricity production, free thermal energy with formidable efficiency (solar thermal).
Even if we do not know how to store these energies efficiently (but are we really looking for solutions to do so?) All this shows that our very short-term vision makes us irresponsible and blind in the face of the depletion of resources announced.

A+
0 x
loop
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by loop » 07/03/08, 18:30

Hello

As promised, here are some pictures of the latest E70 wind turbines with concrete block masts and blades optimized to the hub (first installed in France to date)
0 x
loop
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by loop » 07/03/08, 18:33

Here are other images of a work in progress, not far from my home

A+
0 x