Rainwater VS washing machine

Work concerning plumbing or sanitary water (hot, cold, clean or used). Management, access and use of water at home: drilling, pumping, wells, distribution network, treatment, sanitation, rainwater recovery. Recovery, filtration, depollution, storage processes. Repair of water pumps. Manage, use and save water, desalination and desalination, pollution and water ...
vassago076
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

Rainwater VS washing machine

by vassago076 » 15/02/08, 17:47

hi everyone,
many use rainwater for toilets but I would like to know what about the washing machine ?, can we wear clothes wash with rainwater without risk since the water comes into contact with the roof therefore bacteria in perspective (sparrow fiante etc) ???

please
0 x
jcf
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by jcf » 15/02/08, 21:06

On the recovery of rainwater, I had seen in the ecological house a solution used by a house in Switzerland which seemed particularly intelligent: the first 15 minutes of the downpour went to the drain or rainwater, and only afterwards, once the atmosphere and the roof were washed out, the water was stored. It seemed to me a good idea, so as not to fear droppings and other dirt too much.
But I am well aware that I did not really answer your question! :|

Good night,
Jean-Christophe
0 x
loop
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by loop » 16/02/08, 08:39

Hello

JCF is right, we must not recover the water from the start of the rain because of all the impurities, dust, pollution, heavy metals etc ...
As for the use in the housing network, it is clear that there is a health risk due to the bacterial proliferation in the water but it is another subject
The problem is the same for the water from a well (see subject on this forum )

For use in the washing machine, I would say that it is better than hard water from the network but you need a booster
For bacteria, I believe that there are many more in the laundry to be washed than in water (perspiration, stains, etc ...)
Anyway, I believe that bacteria do not survive once the laundry is dry and exposed to the sun on a dryer.

A+
0 x
Leo Maximus
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Leo Maximus » 16/02/08, 10:01

A few years ago (10 years?) A French inventor had developed a washing machine that saved water. The principle consists in keeping the last rinse water in a tank in order to then use it as the first washing water for the next detergent round. The water tank is installed in place of the ballast. We save twenty liters on each tour.
The stuff will be "reinvented" by Philips or some other manufacturer when the invention falls into the public domain ...
0 x
vassago076
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by vassago076 » 16/02/08, 10:28

thank you for these first response,

in fact I have already planned the installation (booster included : Cheesy: ) for toilet water and to avoid any contact between drinking water and rain water I will just meter another tap with float on the left side of my flush, as the drinking water supply is on the right from this I would be quiet which will allow me to open and close at will according to the water stock that I would have in my tanks on the other hand for the problem of bacteria in the water of the washing machine I thought to put a tablet of bleach from time to time as I am going to recover 3 plastic tanks of 1000 liters I do not think that it is too much and as regards heavier materials I thought to connect my tanks in "cascades" and to try to reproduce a system of settling a bit like for the septic tanks and put a stocking on my strainer and place it in the last tank then I will add a 25 micron filter sold commercially at the outlet of the booster.

the whole thing will not cost me between 150 and 200 euros since I am given the tanks : Mrgreen:

What do you think?
0 x
turbozender
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by turbozender » 16/02/08, 15:08

Hello
me it's been 3 years that the wc and 2 years that the washing machine are on the water of my well

certainly the pb is not the same but it was to give water to the mill
0 x
loop
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by loop » 16/02/08, 19:32

For vassago076

I see that your project is already carefully thought out
For water storage, with decantation and too full in the next tank, your idea is not bad a priori
Placing a grid a few cm in the bottom of the tanks will prevent you from overly stirring up deposits during heavy rain
Above all, keep the tanks away from light
It is imperative otherwise there will be development of algae on the walls (I have the pb with a plastic tank of 1000 l placed outside but in the shade, while in my buried tank not)
For water disinfection, I do not know of any alternative to chlorine, you have to search the web. Maybe a track, oxygenate the water with a bubbler?

Regarding the 2nd supply circuit from the booster, this is ideal, no risk of mixing
On the other hand, it will be necessary to open the normal circuit from time to time to avoid letting the water stagnate too long in the ends of the water circuit.

Good luck

A+
0 x
little sparrow
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by little sparrow » 16/02/08, 20:42

Bonjour,

I would just like to clarify that it is not necessary to succumb to "Pasteurian bacteriophobia" concerning the use for LL or LV ...

keeping a little common sense ... no need to stick up ...

I allow myself to refer you to some of my articles on this subject .. for various details ..:
> Rainwater recovery: procedure ...: Step 2: pre-filtration

> Rainwater recovery: procedure ...: Step 5: filtration

cordially : Wink:
0 x
well hello to you !! ...
vassago076
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by vassago076 » 20/02/08, 12:14

thank you for this article because it is true that I was wondering about the type of filter to meter.

So if I understood correctly, I would have to put a 10µ filter to use in washing machine and WC?
0 x