Reduce consumption by changing engine oil index

Oil, gas, coal, nuclear (PWR, EPR, hot fusion, ITER), gas and coal thermal power plants, cogeneration, tri-generation. Peakoil, depletion, economics, technologies and geopolitical strategies. Prices, pollution, economic and social costs ...
laurent_caen
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

Reduce consumption by changing engine oil index

by laurent_caen » 28/12/07, 13:17

Bonjour à tous

Here, I have an old Peugeot diesel 309 and I ask myself whether it was possible to reduce consumption by changing the oil index, passing a 15W40 a 10W40 even a 5W40 which appear to reduce fuel consumption.
Is it possible or is it that it is not suitable for an old engine?
Thank you in advance and sorry if the answer was already given on another post.
0 x
delnoram

by delnoram » 28/12/07, 13:44

Yes this subject was evokes parties here you can be just find your answer.
0 x
"Thinking should not it be taught in school rather than to make learning by heart the facts that are not all proven?"
"It's not because they are likely to be wrong they are right!" (Coluche)
Chatham
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

Re: reduce consumption by changing the index of hu

by Chatham » 28/12/07, 14:40

laurent_caen wrote:Bonjour à tous

Here, I have an old Peugeot diesel 309 and I ask myself whether it was possible to reduce consumption by changing the oil index, passing a 15W40 a 10W40 even a 5W40 which appear to reduce fuel consumption.
Is it possible or is it that it is not suitable for an old engine?
Thank you in advance and sorry if the answer was already given on another post.

it has already been discussed, but I answer all the same: on an old technology engine and moreover with high mileage, fluid oils known as "energy saving" (see Total "future" for example) are not at all indicated and can even lead to breakage by excessive drop in oil pressure or runaway.
In any case this would significantly increase the consumption of oil ...
As against these oils are necessary modern engines that are designed for them (unless it is not the reverse) ... : Lol:

Note that in principle a diesel it consumes 309 in principle around 6L / 100 average
(A buddy in a ~ 400 who 000km and shows no sign of weakness)
0 x
Other
Pantone engine Researcher
Pantone engine Researcher

by Other » 28/12/07, 16:15

Hello

The economy with extra fluid oil can not exceed the loss of an engine that is allocated by mechanical friction on older engines on the oil losses and friction 8% oil flowing're a very ramner this has 4% and more hot engine
the talk is just the engine but the transmition (Transmission and bridge) the losses are much greater.
In winter by -25 if you try to start in neutral you can not seem to cause the engine must disengage and both the engine running accellerer legerment the engine slowly let go the clutch otherwise the engine stalls ..

extra fluid oil is interesting for winter engines that make frequent starts and small runs
oil vapor is faster for the lubrication of the cylinders
But on a car which is long parcourts preferable higher viscosity is preferable
We must not forget that the oil in the turbo diesel engine is also used to cool the desous WV 1,9 the pistons, oil spray is sprayed under the piston.
be aware that multigrade oils when they are contaminated viellissent in engines, their viscosity increases, the fluid next cold disappears.
viscosity and mainly driven by the construction of the engine, the gaming rooms, and engine wear.
an 20W self accommodates a boarded airplane will take 50W,
Andre
Last edited by Other the 28 / 12 / 07, 22: 07, 1 edited once.
0 x
laurent_caen
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by laurent_caen » 28/12/07, 20:37

Thank you very much for your answers, I actually consumes around 6L / 100 km (5.8 to be precise), the car 230 000 km and has no problems, it starts like clockwork, even -5 ° C after 2 weeks without rolling!
0 x
Chatham
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Chatham » 29/12/07, 01:25

Andre wrote:Hello

We must not forget that the oil in the turbo diesel engine is also used to cool the desous WV 1,9 the pistons, oil spray is sprayed under the piston.

In fact all the engines not too old have piston bottoms cooled by jet of oil, but on the pushed engines, there is in addition in channel of cooling by oil in the head of the piston (on the most recent it is just behind the fire segment): a jet of oil coming from the crankshaft bearings enters an orifice and the oil leaves by the other ...
Note that 1.9VW range from 75cv to 150cv ... the latter having of course nothing to do technology perspective with the first ...
0 x
Gregconstruct
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Gregconstruct » 29/12/07, 10:29

laurent_caen wrote:Thank you very much for your answers, I actually consumes around 6L / 100 km (5.8 to be precise), the car 230 000 km and has no problems, it starts like clockwork, even -5 ° C after 2 weeks without rolling!

Frankly, there is nothing to pleindre of such consumption !!!
There are high-tech "super" diesel engines today that have higher fuel consumption!

Pampers your well lioness, you can still do twice kilometers without problems !!! : Wink:
0 x
Every action counts for our planet !!!
Chatham
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Chatham » 29/12/07, 11:00

Gregconstruct wrote:There are high-tech "super" diesel engines today that have higher fuel consumption!

Certainly not: we must compare what is comparable: here we are talking about a 65hp engine which pulls, with very relative force, a body of barely 1 ton ... A Citroën AX diesel consumes much less (~ 4L / 100) because still much lighter ... still with an "old" indirect injection engine ... but with the same engine, a sax or a 106, heavier, consumed more with lower performance ...
Knowing that small current bagnoles are more powerful and weigh more 1 ton ... the equivalent in size of a 309 today is 200kg more ...
0 x
Gregconstruct
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Gregconstruct » 29/12/07, 11:02

Small cars now do not weigh any more than a ton !!!!

But Corsa barely reaches 800kg
0 x
Every action counts for our planet !!!

Go back to "Fossil energies: oil, gas, coal and nuclear electricity (fission and fusion)"