Pantone ULM engine?

Edits and changes to engines, experiences, findings and ideas.
Other
Pantone engine Researcher
Pantone engine Researcher

by Other » 08/11/07, 02:09

Hello

In both cases, the efficiency in terms of kilos thrust / cv engine is an important factor.

Very little research is done on the propellers of small planes
It's a bit of a let go at the discretion of small manufacturers
some great MaCCauley, Sensenich, Hartzel for the variables
then all the wood and composite propellers, which is a small market..Just look at the serial numbers on MaC Cauley since the 50s to see that it is not millions of propellers produced there. are still 5 digits.

I wouldn't want to disappoint you, but the thrust measurement on a propeller is not indicative of performance on an airplane
it only gives us a static indication.
Very rarely propeller manufacturers use this method of measurement on propellers, I also work in this field.
For example, a ULM pilot who came to the field with Rotax 80hp ULM and a scale, to make comparisons
with my Lycoming 140 hp engine and large propeller.
on the test with the scale attached it had more traction than the Lycoming :| ..
Then take off side by side, he only accelerated faster
but after 300 meters I lost it in the fog autand to climb, (1400 feet / minute) the speed we are not talking about almost double.

The bottom line is that a low pitch propeller gives more static traction on a scale, while a high pitch propeller becomes effective when the plane has picked up a certain speed.
the efficiency of a propeller is measured when cruising when it gives the least possible slip.

André44 :D
0 x
privateer69
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by privateer69 » 08/11/07, 09:21

Hello and thank you for your answer.

But let's compare what is comparable ... I am not trying to transform a Rotax 912 into a Lycoming 140cv ...

My goal is to improve the performance of a propeller and so for the same machine:
- either to improve the performance of the beast
- or to switch to weaker engines

Info that I had forgotten, I was received four years ago at ONERA for this research; their response was:
- we don't have a budget for independent researchers
- to do is to demonstrate

Finally, a propeller is a wing which turns, its lift becoming its thrust. With a good profile we have a good zinc, with another we have a stone (no, no, I do not think of any machine that I have driven ...).

voila, things are progressing a little bit, I continue!
0 x
Sic forecourt magna
Cuicui
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Cuicui » 08/11/07, 09:33

titus02 wrote: the improvement of the technology in matter of electric accumulator allows it, or could it
allow to fly an electric ULM?

The Silent AE (electric propulsion microlight) is marketed.
0 x
Cuicui
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Cuicui » 08/11/07, 09:49

Cuicui wrote:
titus02 wrote: The Silent AE (electric propulsion microlight) is marketed.

Oops, no, I don't think it's released yet, but it flies well. There are also other models. Type "electric ulm" in Google
0 x