A plot to test sabotaged GMO contamination

Books, television programs, films, magazines or music to share, counselor to discover ... Talk to news affecting in any way the econology, environment, energy, society, consumption (new laws or standards) ...
Targol
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

A plot to test sabotaged GMO contamination

by Targol » 31/07/07, 15:21

BORDEAUX (Reuters) - A farmer from Saint-Dos, in the Atlantic Pyrenees has filed a complaint for sabotage of organic corn plots, report on Monday the president of the Bio-Aquitaine Federation, Jon Harlouchet, and Patrick De Kochko, agricultural engineer.
(Publicity)

This plot composed of two fields of 1.4 hectare and 0.4 hectare was the subject of a "scientific study to measure the pollen contamination generated by GMO corn on non-GMO corn", says a press release from Bio-Aquitaine.

This study was supplemented by a measurement of the contamination of pollens and honey from neighboring beekeepers' hives and was monitored by a "Quality-France" control body which certified the "Organic" appellation subject to a specifications of the Ministry of Agriculture.

The plot on which eight different species of maize were planted was sabotaged. The plants did not have a normal development, "the leaves were turning yellow, the corn could not grow".

The farmer, Bernard Pouey, lodged a complaint last Thursday with the gendarmerie of Salies de Béarn which found that the plots "surrounded by GMOs were sprayed with a chemical which cancels the flowering", said the press release.

If a sabotage was confirmed by the gendarmerie services, it would be a first in France.

Patrick De Kochko explained that Bernard Pouey had reserved a small part of his plot "to carry out our experimentation".

"We had also received aid from the Aquitaine Regional Council of 20.000 euros. Today, this sabotage wants to prevent us from demonstrating that coexistence between GMO and non-GMO corn is impossible", he added.

Jon Harluchet clarified that his association and the Confédération Paysanne du Pays Basque also lodged a complaint in this case.

One of the major problems encountered by the members of this association and by anti-GMO activists is being able to locate the GMO plots. Indeed, French law only allows to know the surface exploited in a commune but not the exact location.

On the other hand, a European directive requires member states to publish public registers intended to inform citizens about the locations of GMO crops. The French government has not yet transposed this directive.

source: Yahoo news
0 x
"Anyone who believes that exponential growth can continue indefinitely in a finite world is a fool, or an economist." KEBoulding
Christophe

by Christophe » 31/07/07, 15:33

Well, I wonder if this terrorist act (because this is how it is called by the media concerning anti GMOs) will be the subject of reports in the various news programs ...
0 x
Christine
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Christine » 31/07/07, 15:48

This plot [...] was the subject of a "scientific study to measure the pollen contamination generated by GMO maize on non GMO maize"

To put us before the fait accompli?
The French government has not yet transposed this directive

... and will have to pay fines accordingly ... the taxes must be used for something.

christophe wrote:will be the subject of a report to the various news ...

yes, I think I saw something at 13 p.m. Fr2 a few days ago
0 x
Targol
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Targol » 31/07/07, 16:02

Christine wrote:
This plot [...] was the subject of a "scientific study to measure the pollen contamination generated by GMO maize on non GMO maize"

To put us before the fait accompli?

Well no, precisely, this plot had been planted by ecologists to demonstrate that the contimanition was real and thus cut the grass from under the feet of pro-GMOs whose club argument is "we are not sure there is contamination ".

If this experiment had gone to the end, the government would have been obliged to recognize the contamination and, therefore, forced to legislate to avoid incurring their future responsibility (which they do not do as long as they have the excuse "we could not know").
0 x
"Anyone who believes that exponential growth can continue indefinitely in a finite world is a fool, or an economist." KEBoulding
Christine
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Christine » 31/07/07, 16:34

As much for me, I had read too quickly. So it would be pro-GMOs that would have sabotaged the experiment so that proof of contamination could not be done? In any case, it is courageous on the part of organic beekeepers to scuttle their harvest to demonstrate - if I understood correctly.
0 x
Targol
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Targol » 31/07/07, 17:27

Christine wrote:As much for me, I had read too quickly. So it would be pro-GMOs that would have sabotaged the experiment so that proof of contamination could not be done? In any case, it is courageous on the part of organic beekeepers to scuttle their harvest to demonstrate - if I understood correctly.

You've understood everything : Wink:
0 x
zac
Pantone engine Researcher
Pantone engine Researcher

by zac » 31/07/07, 18:49

who said dictatorship method ????
0 x
Said the zebra, freeman (endangered breed)
This is not because I am con I try not to do smart things.
goodeco
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by goodeco » 01/08/07, 07:44

zac wrote:who said dictatorship method ????

I did not say it but I think so :P

In any case, the guerrillas are once again organized.
: Arrowd: : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen: : Arrowd:

The former presidential candidate and 500 anti-GMO activists spread traditional corn pollen on a GMO corn field, making the seeds unsuitable.

The organizers claim that the operation took place "within a legal framework" because no one had to enter the field.
They conceived of this operation as a "baptism". 500 anti-GMO activists, José Bové in the lead, "pollinated" Thursday in Ardèche a GMO corn field, ie they spread traditional corn pollen in order to make the GMO seeds unsuitable. The operation took place in Lussas "without incident", without anyone having to enter the plot of approximately 6.000 m2, and the gendarmerie present on the scene did not intervene, according to the "organizers".

Faced with the many condemnations to which they are subject, anti-GMO activists have imagined this means of action to limit their liability. "We simply waved the ears. The pollens are moved by the wind, insects, humans, so we did not need to enter the plot", underlined the manager of Agribio Ardèche, association of promotions of organic products of the department participating in the operation. The organizers believe that the operation took place "within a legal framework" because no one had to enter the field. "Until now, GMOs are polluting the peasants around, and here for the first time we are going to pollute the seed by sending traditional maize pollen and the seed company will not be able to do anything with it. It is the policy of l 'watered sprinkler, we are going to pollute the polluter ", for his part declared José Bové.
"New form of sabotage"

The French seed company Limagrain, which operates the field, has announced its intention to file a complaint and called the operation a "new form of sabotage". According to the group's strategy and communications director, "it is perfectly the equivalent of destruction, since the purity of the corn is required in all marketing cases". "We will analyze the consequences of these acts but it is certain that we will file a complaint," he added. For its part, the prefecture of Ardèche declined to comment.

Anti-GMOs accuse GMO seed companies of being unable to control the pollens of their plants and of contributing to the proliferation of GMOs in traditional crop fields. The Limagrain plot concerned by the action is located in Lussas, near Aubenas. Asked recently about the Limagrain sites, the group had mentioned fields in Tarn-et-Garonne and Gers, but none in Ardèche. The director general of the group announced at the beginning of July that he "very seriously wondered" about the continuation of these tests in France, a few weeks before the Grenelle de l'Environnement which must notably rule on GMOs.

source of 26/07/07: http://tf1.lci.fr/infos/sciences/enviro ... llen-.html

They forgot to be c * n : Mrgreen:
0 x
In eternal learning
Targol
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Targol » 01/08/07, 10:10

The French seed company Limagrain, which operates the field, has announced its intention to file a complaint and called the operation a "new form of sabotage". According to the group's strategy and communications director, "it is perfectly the equivalent of destruction, since the purity of the corn is required in all marketing cases". "We will analyze the consequences of these acts but it is certain that we will file a complaint," he added. For its part, the prefecture of Ardèche declined to comment.

Let him file a complaint, all anti GMO activists are just waiting for that.

And the best part is that if he wins the lawsuit, he loses the war.

Let me explain: if a court rules that a complaint for pollen pollution is admissible, this opens up the possibility for organic farmers polluted by GMOs to also file a complaint when, for the moment, they only have their eyes to cry.
As currently, no insurance company accepts to cover GMO risks, no farmer will dare to plant GMOs anymore if he has to bear the risk of reimbursing contaminated organic plots in the surrounding area.

Go ahead, make a complaint, and above all take a good lawyer and win the lawsuit : Twisted: : Twisted: : Twisted:
0 x