Sawdust Paper Log Press Project

Environmental impact of end of life products: plastics, chemicals, vehicles, agri-food marketing. direct recycling and recycling (upcycling or upcycling) and reuse of good items for the trash!
Macro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Sawdust Paper Log Press Project

by Macro » 17/05/23, 14:17

Ahmed wrote:
I suppose that the shredded material obtained then went to recycling?

We have just hired a former cement employee.... You know what he calls it, all the paper, cardboard, wood... That you are asked to sort at the recycling center and in the yellow trash ....

CSRs...

https://www.syctom-paris.fr/formulaires ... %20inertes.
0 x
The only thing safe in the future. It is that there may chance that it conforms to our expectations ...
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 17/05/23, 14:33

In the link you provide, it is specified that only soiled materials are considered CSR; but it is however quite possible that this notion is (very) highly extensible in the real world... : roll:
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Macro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Macro » 17/05/23, 14:39

Ho yes... The guy saw mountains of pallets and bales of cardboard go through the oven... Especially when the Russian gas taps were closed...
1 x
The only thing safe in the future. It is that there may chance that it conforms to our expectations ...
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 17/05/23, 18:58

Macro wrote:Ho yes... The guy saw mountains of pallets and bales of cardboard go through the oven... Especially when the Russian gas taps were closed...

Yes, it is the eternal problem of recycling materials which are a priori recoverable but which at the same time have a certain calorific value. It's not always easy to make the choice, especially in times of high fuel costs.
From this point of view, cement factories are indeed an "ideal" outlet, we spoke not long ago of tires, which are now introduced as is (without shredding) in the ovens.
Now, is it better to burn cardboard/paper or plastic packaging locally as a substitute for petroleum products or coal than to pile them up in containers heading for China, India or elsewhere for "recycling", as is often the case, I don't know.
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 17/05/23, 21:08

Yes, it is theoretically recoverable, but often at prices that do not allow it, especially in local conditions...
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 18/05/23, 11:00

Ahmed wrote:Yes, it is theoretically recoverable, but often at prices that do not allow it, especially in local conditions...

I'm not sure I understood your comment, can you illustrate?
What seems certain to me is that the global economy of the collection and treatment of waste (we are only talking about general household type waste, not special waste) "costs" rather than "benefits". The monetary valuation of recovered "recoverable" materials should only be counted on in terms of avoided cost.
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 18/05/23, 11:16

Almost everything is theoretically recyclable, as a last resort to produce heat. However, the complexity of the combinations of materials and/or the small quantity of unit material often means that the cost of treatment would be exorbitant.
Moreover, some materials, even easy to isolate, are of very low value (compared to virgin material) which sends them to exotic countries or to landfill. Subsidies can partially remedy this phenomenon, but today what is truly recycled is what is profitable (this criterion being of course variable depending on the evolution of the raw materials markets).
At the local government level, this waste issue is increasingly becoming a budget headache and, at least in my area (most likely elsewhere), considerable restructuring is being considered. Nothing is therefore defined yet, but what is certain is that profound changes are to be expected.
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 18/05/23, 11:27

I think we are "mostly in agreement", as they say in the polls! :)
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 18/05/23, 16:42

Macro wrote:
Ahmed wrote:
I suppose that the shredded material obtained then went to recycling?

We have just hired a former cement employee.... You know what he calls it, all the paper, cardboard, wood... That you are asked to sort at the recycling center and in the yellow trash ....

CSRs...

https://www.syctom-paris.fr/formulaires ... %20inertes.

Paper, cardboard, it's always less bad than tires (1st recovery of used tires = cement factories)! : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen:

Here, I may have suddenly found my binder for the mowing briquettes! (I'm kidding!! Only the big ones can pollute like pigs...)
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 13/06/23, 17:41

Good, a little report of the progress of the "construction site"! After circling the "beast" quite a bit, I started implanting the grinder teeth. Even if the values ​​of the spacings are not at the "top", once the operation is completed, I note that the balancing of the whole is frankly very bad. Fortunately, it was only a partial execution of the welding, a first draft, because I will have to start from scratch with another geometry... :frown:
What is positive is that I am now sure that I can eliminate this configuration! 8) (see picture below)
A little discouraged, I looked at the prices of the shredders a little professional and, there, it gives creative impetus: 7700 € TTC without the port, that calms seriously!
So I carefully redesigned the layout aiming for a double spiral. By examining the result produced, I realize that by cheating very slightly, I can align the teeth on 4 rows of 3 teeth, which should not be bad in terms of balancing... To see, then.
At this point I'm also wondering about the length of the tines: currently they are 75mm, which might be a bit long...?
IMG0108A.jpg
IMG0108A.jpg (229.49 KB) Viewed times 409

I am more and more convinced of the merits of my approach, despite the obvious difficulties of implementation. Because, in addition to avoiding a painful manual task, this shredding will make it possible, at a reasonable energy cost, to overcome two annoying problems: cardboard treated for better water resistance (which will be reduced to pulp more easily, even with a few possible little bits of rest, it's not serious) and also this headache of adhesive tapes which, under a very small volume, concentrate a maximum of worries: once reduced to chips, they can blend into the mass and thus be incorporated brick... Grinding thus makes it possible to greatly homogenize (not completely, of course) a fairly diverse resource, which is therefore complex to process.
4 x