Source other than the sun to power the panels?

Forum solar photovoltaic PV and solar electricity generation from direct radiation solar energy.
^ ___ ^
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Source other than the sun to power the panels?

by ^ ___ ^ » 05/06/07, 09:47

Hello everybody

I would like to know if it is possible to use sources other than sunlight to power the photovoltaic panels.

Can they produce electricity if for example they are near a street light lamp or under the light coming from the moon?

Goods.
0 x
On the road to joy ^ ___ ^ !!!
Obelix
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Obelix » 05/06/07, 10:09

Hello,

Yes, but :
1) choose your panels carefully, because they do not all use the same part of the light spectrum
2) Do not expect a huge recovery, because the light is weak to very weak !!

Nevertheless it works !!

Obelix
0 x
Alex
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

Re: other source than the sun to power the panels?

by Alex » 05/06/07, 16:04

^ ___ ^ wrote:Hello everybody

I would like to know if it is possible to use sources other than sunlight to power the photovoltaic panels.

Can they produce electricity if for example they are near a street light lamp or under the light coming from the moon?

Goods.

Imagine a lamp with a power of 5 kW (it's huge) located 5 m from a PV panel.
The power intercepted by your 1 m² panel, assuming that the light diffuses isotropically, is (approximately) 5000 / (ft * 10²), or 15.91 Watts.
Knowing that the conversion efficiency is of the order of 10%, the power recovered will be of the order of 1.5 W, and again, assuming that the spectrum of the lamp is close to that of the sun.
If you consider a more realistic case (lamp of a few hundred watts and greater lamp-panel distance, you will recover a few milli-watts to break everything.
To summarize, it does not have much interest. : Cheesy:
(With the light of the moon, it will be much worse ...)
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 05/06/07, 16:46

yeah!

1) make a hole at the bottom of the post and put two wires :D . Don't forget to put a fuse!
2) don't be surprised when the gendarmes come to your house!

... but the yield will be much better!
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
Targol
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Targol » 05/06/07, 17:26

elephant wrote:yeah!

1) make a hole at the bottom of the post and put two wires :D . Don't forget to put a fuse!
2) don't be surprised when the gendarmes come to your house!

... but the yield will be much better!

The moderators of the econology site would like to point out that the previous advice is the responsibility of its author and that Econologie.com cannot encourage electrical piracy : Lol:

You're in shape right now, elephant : Wink:
0 x
"Anyone who believes that exponential growth can continue indefinitely in a finite world is a fool, or an economist." KEBoulding
the middle
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by the middle » 05/06/07, 18:21

^ ___ ^ wrote:Hello everybody

Goods.

My boss always tells me "there are no silly questions."
However the answers are sometimes :D
0 x
aidiv
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by aidiv » 05/06/07, 18:32

Hi, I asked myself : Idea: if we could not use gas or other fuel, a bit like the principle of the kerosene stove which makes the cylinder blush and therefore recover this light in electricity thanks to a pv,.
apparently it exists ...
you have to cool the panel down a lot so I didn't dig any more.

here is! :|
0 x
^ ___ ^
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by ^ ___ ^ » 06/06/07, 09:19

Oki thank you for your answers and your demonstrations.

lejustemilieu wrote:My boss always tells me "there are no silly questions."
However the answers are sometimes :D

In fact this question came to me when I read an article in the newspaper (Cf 20 minutes yesterday p21) speaking of a wireless keyboard working with a small solar collector (like calculators without batteries). However, it needs extra support (with batteries) in low light.

I wondered if there were other possible "recoverable" light sources because the goal is not to produce just to power the panel. Let's say that if you have to consume more energy to produce this light it is not worth it and if in addition it generates GHG emissions it is good either.
0 x
On the road to joy ^ ___ ^ !!!

Alex
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Alex » 06/06/07, 10:30

Sunlight is still the best!
It's already very powerful (1000W / m²), and it's completely natural!
In itself, "making" light to produce photovoltaic electricity behind it is a heresy, since for a few photovoltaic W, you will have spent hundreds, even thousands of (mainly) nuclear Watts.
On the other hand, and to bounce back on the post before, one can actually think of using the light or the heat released by industrial processes, for example, to manufacture photovoltaic electricity.
Some labs work on thermo-photovoltaic conversion, which is the equivalent of photovoltaic conversion, but in wavelength ranges corresponding to the IR part of the solar spectrum. For this, we use PV cells specifically designed to convert low energy photons (GaSb cells for example). The advantage, for example, is to be able to use the infrared radiation rejected in mass by a large number of industrial processes in particular, to produce electricity.
0 x
Targol
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Targol » 06/06/07, 11:09

Alex wrote:On the other hand, and to bounce back on the post before, one can actually think of using the light or the heat released by industrial processes, for example, to manufacture photovoltaic electricity.
Some labs work on thermo-photovoltaic conversion, which is the equivalent of photovoltaic conversion, but in wavelength ranges corresponding to the IR part of the solar spectrum. For this, we use PV cells specifically designed to convert low energy photons (GaSb cells for example).

The day when sensors capable of transforming (with a drinking yield) heat into electricity will be available for not too expensive, the hybrid vehicles will see their autonomy take a big boost.
Can you imagine if we managed to recover even half the calories from the exhaust of the heat engine to recharge the batteries?
0 x
"Anyone who believes that exponential growth can continue indefinitely in a finite world is a fool, or an economist." KEBoulding