Switch to a monosplit heat pump?

Heating, insulation, ventilation, VMC, cooling ... short thermal comfort. Insulation, wood energy, heat pumps but also electricity, gas or oil, VMC ... Help in choosing and implementation, problem solving, optimization, tips and tricks ...
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Switching to a monosplit heat pump?

by izentrop » 02/02/23, 19:36

Forhorse wrote:The insulation is weak, even non-existent (10cm of glass wool + 15mm wood chipboard on the exterior walls)
It's already good, with 60 cm walls it's a very good thermal inertia. If in addition, the windows have 4/16/4 argon double glazing and 20 cm of under-roof insulation, that is more than enough in Normandy.
Forhorse wrote:1 Kg of CLAMC gives it seems 12kWh of heat
at the price of 1.875€ per liter it therefore gives 0.15625€/kWh (I simplified 1l=1Kg even if I know it's wrong, if someone wants to refine...)
At this price, it still seems profitable to heat with CLAMC rather than pure electricity (toaster...) because the kWh EDF is at 0.1841€/kWh
BUT, considering a heat pump with a COP of 3, that gives us 0.06137€/kWh of heat;
12 kWH must be the PCS, identical to fuel oil. The real power PCI takes into account the high humidity rate generated by a kerosene stove
Dearomatized oil "contains" about 10 kWh per litre....
The combustion of 1 kg of kerosene:
- generates a lot of humidity (about 1,4 liters of water per kg of oil burned). Through
elsewhere, the presence of humidity on oneself (facing the combustion) or in
the room is a source of major discomfort (see this site).
- consumes about 3,5 kg of oxygen. Continued use of a kerosene stove
in a room that is just normally ventilated may therefore generate a
depletion of oxygen in the air and cause symptoms
comparable to "altitude sickness" (headaches, fatigue, lack of appetite, dizziness,
insomnia).
https://www.precarite-energie.org/IMG/p ... _trole.pdf
A heat pump heats up at low temperatures and will take longer to heat up.
With your thick walls, you can take a tempo option and heat during the HC period on red days. Mine heats 120 m² permanently. I got some for less than €500 last year. I also have a wood stove that we light only in the evening at mealtimes, only when it's very cold and on red days from now on.
Forhorse wrote:its surface makes it complicated to install a wood stove: basically it is a room of 24m² (6x4) which contains the kitchen/living room, a bathroom (6m²), a staircase upstairs .
You can put an outer double skin insulated casing through a wall.
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 02/02/23, 19:44

Macro wrote:the noise and drafts of a heat pump in heating ... Yuck
Do you know people who have an air/air heat pump?
It's the outdoor unit that makes some noise. With double-glazed windows, you can't hear it.
I have an air/water heat pump so no indoor ventilation, but I have friends who have electric heaters blowing at the top of the walls in the dining room and the kitchen. They are really very quiet.
0 x
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Forhorse » 02/02/23, 21:57

As already said, wood heating is dead in the current state, there is just no room in the room (at this level the absence of a chimney flue is a secondary problem)
0 x
Macro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Macro » 03/02/23, 08:51

izentrop wrote:
Macro wrote:the noise and drafts of a heat pump in heating ... Yuck
Do you know people who have an air/air heat pump?

Yes my brother-in-law in his wooden frame house planned to be passive if he had invested in 3000Wc of pv

izentrop wrote:It's the outdoor unit that makes some noise. With double-glazed windows, you can't hear it.
I have an air/water heat pump so no indoor ventilation, but I have friends who have electric heaters blowing at the top of the walls in the dining room and the kitchen. They are really very quiet.

I sleep regularly in hotels on the islands of Brittany and Vendée where the winter toasters have been replaced by reversible air conditioning units...Air-conditioned hotel for tourists in the summer...Hotel with turboventilated heating for businesses in the winter ... Personally I cut them too noisy and unpleasant drafts... And if it's too cold I have a scheme: I open the bathroom door and I put the towel dryer on full : Cheesy:
1 x
The only thing safe in the future. It is that there may chance that it conforms to our expectations ...
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 03/02/23, 09:03

My friend who had his walls of 60cm, also found his 1st price heat pump, mainly inoperative by negative temperatures - and in general in winter, the colder it was, the less it heated, and the more it consumed juice he told me (someone can anyone explain the phenomenon?) — in the end, the comparative performance that had been used by the VRP to refourguer his junk, was out of the way....

He no longer used it except as an extra, a luxury deemed useless. Luckily he had a chimney, so he was having a nice fire...

The heat pump, the more you need it, the less it heats up, and the less it heats up, the more juice you need :P
Forhorse wrote:As already said, wood heating is dead in the current state, there is just no room in the room (at this level the absence of a chimney flue is a secondary problem)
When we want we can ( : Mrgreen: )
0 x
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Forhorse » 03/02/23, 09:52

Obamot wrote:When we want we can ( : Mrgreen: )

Yes, I just have to destroy a staircase, fit out (temporarily) a new part of the house, build a new staircase in this new part, all that to gain the 3m² necessary for the installation of a wood stove. With the big ladle 4000€ of work before even starting the installation of the said wood stove and its conduit. it may take a long time to be profitable even with free wood (which is not guaranteed, my stock and my capacity for self-production is limited)
Clearly I don't want yes!

I called EDF this morning to switch to the Tempo offer which actually seems more interesting than the HC/HP offer which I currently have (and which saved me €30 per year compared to the BASE offer) because even in red days the HC tariff is more interesting than the off-peak hours of the tariff of the same name and with us our consumption off-peak hours represent 60% of the total.

I plan to order this mono-split air conditioner soon.
For the red days the oil stove will resume service.
And if these heat pumps really aren't worth anything in terms of heating, it will at least have the utility of properly air-conditioning in the summer.
All this coupled with PV panels and a home automation system to manage all this somewhat automatically, I hope to save on my energy bill and in comfort.
0 x
Macro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Macro » 03/02/23, 10:15

I have to look...I may have one in stock...
0 x
The only thing safe in the future. It is that there may chance that it conforms to our expectations ...
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 03/02/23, 10:33

:?:
Forhorse wrote:
Obamot wrote:When we want we can ( : Mrgreen: )

Yes, I just have to destroy a stair climb
Clearly I don't want yes!
Well if you have a staircase, there's space under mebon, it's your choice and it's respectable, and since we don't have a photo or a plan, there's nothing left to do but bow : Idea:
0 x
phil59
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by phil59 » 03/02/23, 11:57

Switching to tempo, panels, seeing a small battery, air conditioning, a kerosene stove (which at worst will give you the same heating as before), there's plenty to save you money.

In the off-season, the air conditioning will not be expensive "to feed".

I have a friend who has an apartment in Spain, and for 15 years, he fired the toasters, replacing them with an air conditioning, with 2 diffusers.

Except when you arrive at the end of December, afterwards, you have a decent tp, with 65 m2. Well, the climate is a little warmer.
Summer is the cold, which is appreciable.

It's Daikin, I don't know its exact consumption in winter, but I know it has the mini Spanish subscription, 2.2 kVA, and it's hot, with a fridge that runs, TV, lighting.
If you put a blower at 1000W, it trips depending on what the air conditioning is pulling at that moment...

Gas cooking, and gas water heater.
0 x
hmmmmm, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmm, huh, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

: Oops: : Cry: :( : Shock:
Macro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Macro » 03/02/23, 18:36

Macro wrote:I have to look...I may have one in stock...

I just took a look in my stocks... The monosplit I had is already gone... sorry it would have been gifts...
0 x