Cinder and unburned pellet problem on easypell boiler (Okofen)

Heating, insulation, ventilation, VMC, cooling ... short thermal comfort. Insulation, wood energy, heat pumps but also electricity, gas or oil, VMC ... Help in choosing and implementation, problem solving, optimization, tips and tricks ...
martod
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Cinder and unburned pellet problem on easypell boiler (Okofen)

by martod » 27/01/23, 11:45

Hello,
So I've had an easypell boiler for a year, I've been pretty happy with it so far, second winter which has been going pretty well so far (apart from the increase in the price of pellets!!!)

But about ten days ago when I went to empty the ashtray I noticed a lot of black pellets but not consumed in the ashtray, and a lot of clinker.
I clean the plate and the ashtray once, I fill the tank and I start again.
And there my consumption of pellets doubles.
Suddenly I tell myself that it must be because of the fouling so I do a major cleaning (complete for half a day) then I fill again and I start again.
3 days later it's empty again with a consumption still doubled and again a lot of unconsumed pellets and a lot of clinker.

However, I haven't changed anything in the settings so I don't understand the doubled consumption or the combustion pbs...

All the pellets used since the start of winter come from the same pallet, stored in a dry place. I washed the plate again to make sure the holes weren't clogged. I opened the duct to remove as much soot as I could (very little soot in what I could reach), also washed out the fan in the back...

If anyone has an idea, leads, a miracle solution, I'm a taker!

Thanks in advance for all your ideas and advice.
2 x
Christophe

Re: Cinder and pellet problem not burned on easypell boiler (Okofen)

by Christophe » 27/01/23, 13:48

What are the variations in the weather in your area between these measurements and findings?

If the combustion air is more humid, is it possible that the combustion is less successful?

It is also possible that even on the same pallet there is not exactly the same quality of pellets... (different sawdust, problems during manufacture or packaging or storage before sale?)

I imagine that you did not notice anything on this point of view?
0 x
belladonna
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by belladonna » 27/01/23, 15:35

having a pellet boiler (Polish brand) I had a draft problem, yet 12m of pipe, I put this at the top of the tube:
https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/1005003298745311.htm
it's better
but it happens to have machefert, as Christophe says, unfortunately, we can put the price in the pellets, they put what they want in it
and now they speculate on it
0 x
martod
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by martod » 27/01/23, 15:42

Thank you for your answers.

So for the weather, we had snow, but normally that has no effect, and I checked that nothing is blocking the roof at the exit, and the air intake for combustion is in the boiler room, which is still properly insulated.
For the pellets, nothing noticed but I bought a few bags from another brand to do the test as soon as my tank is empty (which won't be long...)

For bellad, the link does not work and normally everything was working fine, without problems with printing so far, so there was no need to change the installation, which was originally done correctly.
But it's nice to offer ideas!
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 27/01/23, 16:03

martod wrote:Thank you for your answers.

So for the weather, we had snow, but normally that doesn't matter,

Er...yes, yes, I assure you, the weather temperature has a (significant) impact on energy consumption for heating...and 5°C less can double your consumption...(depends on a lot things...)

martod wrote:For the pellets, nothing noticed but I bought a few bags from another brand to do the test as soon as my tank is empty (which won't be long...)

For bellad, the link does not work and normally everything was working fine, without problems with printing so far, so there was no need to change the installation, which was originally done correctly.
But it's nice to offer ideas!

Yes the first thing to do is to change the creamery...maybe even test 2 or 3 other brands if you can...

For the draft, logically a boiler installed in the rules and maintained (you obviously do it) should not have a draft problem, especially not after 1 year or ever... especially with forced air appliances...

In addition, my pellet boiler stove is equipped with a pressure sensor at the outlet: it goes into safety if ever there is a suppression on the outlet (= clogged conduit)...so an Okofen boiler must also have this function ...

Finally, a draft problem would lower consumption, not increase it...
0 x
Flytox

by Flytox » 27/01/23, 19:39

No problem exactly of this style, but twice I found a sparrow that had fallen into the exhaust pipe (outside the heating period).
They were lucky that I heard them and managed to free them through the small hatch at the bottom of the pipe.
This kind of "obstacle" must be able to make a nice breakdown.
I have to go on the roof to put a grid....to limit recurrences... : Wink:
1 x
Reason is the madness of the strongest. The reason for the less strong it is madness.
[Eugène Ionesco]
http://www.editions-harmattan.fr/index. ... te&no=4132