Isolate vertical walls with an air gap and lathing?

Heating, insulation, ventilation, VMC, cooling ... short thermal comfort. Insulation, wood energy, heat pumps but also electricity, gas or oil, VMC ... Help in choosing and implementation, problem solving, optimization, tips and tricks ...
phil59
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Insulate vertical walls with an air gap and lathing?

by phil59 » 24/11/22, 19:23

I have already done classic things and limited by my wife for dubbing ....

THE first house in 88, I only got 20+10, so almost nothing, the second, in 2003, 40+10.... When we redid the kitchen a few years ago, to eliminate a "10 cm step" high on 20-30 cm in front of the furniture, something crazy, there I moved the wall forward, and a worktop 80-90 cm, I don't know, and no more walking, but with an outside wall, a few cm of air, and 100 of insulation, +ba13.
Well, in the kitchen remains "more than 24m2", but I think it's good like that.

Now, my wife has understood that it is better isolated, then, to put dubbing, I can, now, I have "the right".

In fact, it is an old mansion, given for purchase for 440 m2 of living space, with ceiling heights of 3-3.2m.

And even for 2 now, it's just... Image

So, this last room, which opens into another, I will take care of.
0 x
hmmmmm, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmm, huh, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

: Oops: : Cry: :( : Shock:
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 24/11/22, 19:58

izentrop wrote:
sicetaitsimple wrote: there is insulation from the outside, but it does not adapt to everything and it is a little less within reach of DIY.
That's what I did in 2005 on an uninsulated brick farmhouse, with a lot of unattractive concrete connections.
2 layers of extruded polystyrene covered with larch cladding. I had complicated my life with 140 lag bolts... to redo, I would have removed threaded rods, much easier to skewer the insulating panels and cleats...

But if it's not this choice lag screws / threaded rods, are you happy with the result?
Did you have it done, or did you make it yourself?
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 24/11/22, 20:26

It was me who made it. It lacks details to make it perfect. sealing between the insulation and the wall on the perimeter. The lag bolts meant that I only put 6 cm of insulation. Suddenly, each time I redid the interior of the rooms, I added 10 cm to the interior walls and to the ceiling, the floor no longer being “inhabited” except occasionally.
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 24/11/22, 20:38

Apart from izentrop's possible answer.

I think that in this area the best is the enemy of the good.
Of course, if you have around forty thousand euros to put on the table to pay for external thermal insulation on a pavilion for which that poses no problem (town planning, etc.), normally it should be effective. In this case, you have to go there if you want to, without wanting to calculate the profitability over X years. We do it or not.
On the other hand, if we cannot do it, "small" improvements, room by room, even if they are not spectacular, can both improve comfort (the "feeling" linked to the elimination of cold walls) and ultimately, but of course not dramatically, lower bills.

Edit: Izentrop replied while I was writing.
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 24/11/22, 20:45

izentrop wrote: The lag bolts meant that I only put 6 cm of insulation.

Ah yes, 6 cm does not seem like much. Well, that's how it is...
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 24/11/22, 20:56

sicetaitsimple wrote:Of course if we have forty thousand euros to put on the table to pay for external thermal insulation on a pavilion
Far from there. That year, I had also bought glass wool to insulate the under slopes (30 cm) and 10 +1 polystyrene to insulate the gables from the inside. At that time you could still deduct your bill for insulating materials from your taxes without going through a professional.
Since then I had to buy everything to redo the interior and replace doors and windows...
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 24/11/22, 21:04

izentrop wrote:
sicetaitsimple wrote:Of course if we have forty thousand euros to put on the table to pay for external thermal insulation on a pavilion
Far from there.

I was talking about exterior insulation entrusted to a professional, with painting afterwards.
I had in mind this order of magnitude of €40.000 for an average pavilion. It may be wrong, but it won't be €20.000 either... Sources accepted!
1 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 25/11/22, 09:16

An ITE made by a pro costs between 70 and 150 € per m² depending on the finish, the complexity of the architecture and the insulation chosen...

An average house must have 200 m² of wall...
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 25/11/22, 14:47

Christophe wrote:An ITE made by a pro costs between 70 and 150 € per m² depending on the finish, the complexity of the architecture and the insulation chosen...

An average house must have 200 m² of wall...

By searching a bit, I found slightly higher ranges, for example here 110 to 230€/m2:
https://www.quelleenergie.fr/economies- ... -exterieur

From my point of view, if you've made up your mind and don't do it yourself, it's better to invest once in the quality of the insulation, since many of the costs of the service are in any case fixed costs (scaffolding, surface preparation, coating, painting). But hey, it's still not given .....
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 25/11/22, 15:53

Inevitably with the inflation of energies...insulators and works are more expensive...(ROI nianiania...)

Everything is stupid in capitalism, we can never say it enough!

There are some construction sites that you can't or hardly do yourself...but it's paid for!

The best insulation is at €45 per m2 (120 mm of PIR / PU) public price.. I don't see what justifies an installation at €230 per m² (reduced VAT I presume) or at least 4/5th of the price which would be the pose! Except with teak finish cladding? : Mrgreen: : Lol:

Oh, you didn't say it all right. : Shock:

the ITE under coating and under cladding costs on average between 110 € / m² and 180 € / m²
the ITE under cladding raises the bill and oscillates between 140 € / m² and 230 € / m² depending on the type of covering chosen

I already agree more!
0 x