Help for getting started in 3D printing Elegoo Neptune 3

Forum dedicated to 3D printing: 3D printing technologies (fdm, lcd, sla ...), hardware, software, slicers, settings, use, database, model exchange, tips and tricks, optimization, exchange of experiences...
Remundo

Re: Help for getting started in 3D printing Elegoo Neptune 3

by Remundo » 05/11/22, 23:52

tell me kids...

The gentleman touched his ball in electronics and computer science when you were bottle-fed...

so leave him alone on his old machines if he likes them, especially sincebeforehand they make old software work better.
1 x
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Forhorse » 06/11/22, 09:18

Remundo wrote: especially thatbeforehand they make old software work better.

I strongly doubt it.
Being myself a user of some old software, they are all much more responsive on a recent machine, even through a VM, than on the hardware that corresponds to their time.

And the other question is why stay on old software?
Sometimes we have no choice (I know the situation, I have one that only runs under Windows 2000 and several only under Windows XP) but in the majority of cases we gain by switching to a more recent version (better ergonomics, library to the taste of the day, new features, etc...) all this on PCs which generally consume less for more performance.
(for a particular use I recently mounted a config based on the pentium J5040 which consumes between 20 and 25 W and which is 12% faster than the top processor of 10 years ago which was reputed to be a real grid pain... and I'm talking about comparing a low-end processor from low-end from 2021 with a top-of-the-range processor from 2013)

I don't like obsolescence either, changing to change is useless and it's just a waste of resources, I kept my previous PC for 12 years (that's why I also know very what you gain by changing machines when the one you are using is too old)
My current one is 6 years old (with a processor upgrade bought on sale 4 years ago) and barring an accident, I'll keep it until the end of windows 10's life (it's not compatible with win11), i.e. 9 years in total ( an eternity in the computer world...)
At that time I would change to a machine up to date, with Windows 11 (or 12 since they are already talking about it) and I would migrate my software, data, VMs,... to my new machine. With of course the latest OS to have support for ten years rather than the one that is 2 generations behind because I don't want to adapt, and end up with something obsolete 2 years later...
Out of the question to continue to use the old machines, it would be nonsense (I reuse what can be: box, power supply... and the rest finished in the attic in a box). I don't need 12 pc in working order in the house (there are already 4 of them...), the collections of ordinosaurs are in the museums...

Using an obsolete OS on outdated hardware means taking risks for the safety of your personal data (and not only) and finding yourself limited by the choice of software you can use, we have the example here: finding yourself to use the software that you can install rather than the one you would like to use... what's the advantage?
1 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 06/11/22, 10:02

+1 with Forhorse...

In any case if he wants to print in 3D with his Elegoo Neptune, he will need slicer software (the software that prepares the print) I'm not sure they run under XP or win 7...

I asked him if he was ok...no answer...
0 x
SENIOR ELECTRONICIAN
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by SENIOR ELECTRONICIAN » 06/11/22, 15:32

Hello first!!!

Yes, even and especially in old age, with a recent PC or not, politeness is still a value that some have lost, with these so-called "social" networks which are not very useful. The "likes" or not it's bogus and reserved for bnb or other...

I came on this forum for advice, not harsh, unwarranted, baseless criticism. At first, with Christophe I believe, it was okay. I have the right to use old PCs and OSes that give me satisfaction. Altium Designer 2018 works with XP, just like Quartus II from Altera for fpga in vhdl (that's Hebrew for you) and if you want to take a look at it you will see that it is not within the reach of the first comer!!!

I don't know whether to ask for help on a site that has 0 or 1 registered every day and 0 to 2 guests who, if they see the level of these dialogues, will "zap" or a site where we wait for a week the validation of the profile, a sign of activity.

My PCs give me complete satisfaction. You should get hired by Microsoft to help certain sites block their access to outdated operating systems, there is a market. But for my case I remain dissatisfied, it's true that I only spent time, but will I agree to give it to others on your forum ?

I LEAVE YOU MEDITATE ON THIS QUESTION
1 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 06/11/22, 16:23

It's a bit of bad faith there! The boomer mentality what...

We gave you advice: if you want to use recent and more powerful apps, you need machines that can run them... full stop! Sorry but we are not magicians...

And for information, Win10 is less greedy than 8, maybe even than 7! Win 10 it was designed to run on a tablet...

And then the Elegoo slicer? Does it run on win 7?

If not and you don't want to upgrade your config, you can resell your 3D printer...or test other slicers...

Apparently Elegoo uses a fork of CURA: https://www.elegoo.com/blogs/3d-printin ... port-files

Cura is not known to be lightweight...

Did you launch it? It turns ?

Otherwise, here is one of my 2 3D printers: 3d-printers / tronxy-x5sa-500-pro-improvement-z-axis-how-to-paste-a-toothed-belt-t16537.html
0 x
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Forhorse » 06/11/22, 17:34

Just to try and see what we were talking about.
I downloaded Meshmixer 3.5, installation took 30 seconds, it launches without any problem.
I opened the "bunny" model with no problems. (well after I don't know what to do with it, 3D printing is not my delirium yet)
That's what...that's it"a PC that gives complete satisfaction" for me.
1 x
SENIOR ELECTRONICIAN
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by SENIOR ELECTRONICIAN » 06/11/22, 19:59

And you developed an application with Android Studio on your Solex? I think not, it's not intuitive for newbees.

No need to put a tiger in the engine if there is a donkey at the wheel (which I see in the photo).
0 x
Macro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Macro » 07/11/22, 11:31

Hello Senior Electronics Engineer

Ha... Another refractory Senior... One of those who doesn't want to take his booster dose : Cheesy: : Cheesy: : Cheesy: How do you want us to get there... : Cheesy: : Cheesy:
1 x
The only thing safe in the future. It is that there may chance that it conforms to our expectations ...
phil59
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by phil59 » 07/11/22, 15:44

Well, I made my debut with a 2.2 dos, it seems to me, and one of the first windows I used was 2.3, on an amstrad based on the 80286 processor, it seems to me.

Some software absolutely does not want to work with versions that are too recent.

The serious problem we have now is above all piracy.

My PCs are pretty old too.

At work, a few years ago, I stopped the last XP I had, for security reasons. Otherwise, for this position, it was more than enough.

I still have a server at work, which is almost 10 years old, and still peaks at 60 users on it, but, with Google, when you open that on a session, it starts to lag quite well.
This server, we had to put it on a VM, on ESX, we have machines well sized for that, but with the risks, we gave up.

At the time I had taken 2 hexacores, and 32 GB of ram, but it was to keep it for 5-6 years, instead of 4, and our maintenance company did not know how to mount a cluster properly.. .

I still have, it seems to me, Prolog installation diskettes .... if they are not dead ....
0 x
hmmmmm, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmm, huh, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

: Oops: : Cry: :( : Shock:
SENIOR ELECTRONICIAN
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by SENIOR ELECTRONICIAN » 07/11/22, 19:34

I still have an old desktop NCR, with DOS 6.2 and low RAM!!! I just removed the tube screen to put an lcd.

I use it to order a kind of engraver normally designed to engrave two-tone plastic plates (waiting room type signs)
In X it's at least 300mm of stroke, and in Y the plate is also at least 300 but you can work in several times, you just need the space.
In Z at least 80 mm. 100 watt spindle motor, with ER11 collet chuck, adjustable speed up to at least 30 rpm.

I machined brass, aluminum, epoxy wood and various plastics. I make holes in electronic boxes (BOPLA, OKW or other) and windows for displays. Old machine but very solid and precise, very useful. She weighs at least 25 kg.

For connoisseurs it is a VENTURE P600 with the PNT3 software, on diskettes.
0 x

Go back to "3D printers and 3D print: machines and technologies, hardware, software, use and optimization"