PV: link between temperature and solar yield in summer

Forum solar photovoltaic PV and solar electricity generation from direct radiation solar energy.
MonicaSolar666
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

PV: link between temperature and solar yield in summer

by MonicaSolar666 » 26/08/22, 11:16

During this period, Europe experienced extreme heat, which is rare in history. Many customers ask us: "With such heat and strong sunshine, will my photovoltaic panels produce more electricity?". Unfortunately, this is a misconception, high temperature does not lead to high electricity production!

First of all, a PV module is a device that converts light energy into electrical energy, not energy from heat (it is a photothermal device, such as a solar water heater). There are many factors that affect the amount of electricity generated by PV, the duration of light is one of the most important, the longer the duration of light, the greater the amount of electricity generated; temperature also affects the amount of electricity generated, but it is often inversely proportional.
If we look at the PV module specifications, on the back, in the lower right corner, you will see the term "temperature coefficient of Pmax", the temperature coefficient of the products is -0,34% (most of the modules on the market have a temperature coefficient of -0,38%), this means that when the temperature increases by 1°C above 25°C, the module will lose 0,34% of its power. In other words, a 410W PV module will lose (40-25)*0,34% = 5,1% of its power at a temperature of +40°C. Although the hours of light are long in summer, the high temperature leads to a decrease in efficiency, which can instead lead to a decrease in total electricity production.

Secondly, the continuous high temperature can also trigger the hot spot effect and the PID effect of solar modules, thus reducing the service life of the modules. A good panel has minimized these possibilities by considering the high temperature factor early in the product design. However, how to reduce the impact of high heat is system engineering, you also need a professional and reliable installer to do a reasonable design and construction of your PV system; also in this hot and dry summer, you may need to do some surface cleaning of PV panels to prevent dust, leaves, bird droppings and other shading objects from causing spot effect hot on the PV panels, although most of the time the PV panels can be self-cleaned by rain and snow.

For your information : Idea:
0 x
phil59
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: The link between temperature and yield in summer

by phil59 » 26/08/22, 11:42

A little publicity, no doubt?

That's kind of the idea we already have here...
0 x
hmmmmm, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmm, huh, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

: Oops: : Cry: :( : Shock:
Exnihiloest
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Exnihiloest » 26/08/22, 18:53

MonicaSolar666 wrote:During this period, Europe experienced extreme heat, which is rare in history. ...

Rare in history, it is false.
Advertising that begins with a lie, it does not presume anything good.
0 x
GuyGadeboisTheBack
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by GuyGadeboisTheBack » 26/08/22, 19:36

Exnihiloest wrote:
MonicaSolar666 wrote:During this period, Europe experienced extreme heat, which is rare in history. ...

https://www.france24.com/fr/plan%C3%A8t ... -en-europe
1 x
Remundo

by Remundo » 26/08/22, 20:25

topic has already been covered...

by myself in 2010-2011: OPALE by SYCOMOREEN

But you're right about the diagnosis, Ms. Monica.

However, in hot but sunny weather, production is high.

Cooling in the summer period increases production by around 20%.

Over the year it is not as much, about 10%.
1 x
MonicaSolar666
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by MonicaSolar666 » 05/09/22, 11:09

Remundo wrote:topic has already been covered...

by myself in 2010-2011: OPALE by SYCOMOREEN

But you're right about the diagnosis, Ms. Monica.

However, in hot but sunny weather, production is high.

Cooling in the summer period increases production by around 20%.

Over the year it is not as much, about 10%.

Hello Remundo, you are right and your knowledge of this area is quite professional.

In summer, thanks to enough light, electricity production is the highest of the year. : Cheesy:
1 x
MonicaSolar666
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by MonicaSolar666 » 05/09/22, 11:24

Exnihiloest wrote:

Maybe I said the wrong thing about the climate. But what is certain, the prize is rare in history.
0 x