Sawdust Paper Log Press Project

Environmental impact of end of life products: plastics, chemicals, vehicles, agri-food marketing. direct recycling and recycling (upcycling or upcycling) and reuse of good items for the trash!
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Sawdust Paper Log Press Project

by sicetaitsimple » 09/08/22, 20:17

Ahmed wrote:Concerning the particular point of the materials likely to enter into the composition of a log, I listed a certain number of possibilities at the beginning, but beyond that, I believe that it is up to everyone to look for appropriate "combinations". to the various configurations of the situation and not to focus on this or that direction on the pretext that it has already been cleared.

Quite honestly, I don't really have any idea what the immediate future will be, but it still seems that there is some tension on logs and pellets.
It may be over next spring depending on the evolution of the situation in Ukraine, or on the contrary it will have gotten worse. ...
But that necessarily leads to a reflection on the sources of fuel supply, not only for the often-cited gas, but also for wood.
On gas, we cannot do much except in the short term for shale gas exploration drilling to at least have an idea of ​​the available resource, on wood it is certainly possible to go faster, at least for compensate for the loss of previous imports.

So can the wood-log be at least partially replaced by a composite log, you tell us!
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 09/08/22, 21:02

I do not pretend to solve this energy concern on a significant scale, but only intend and modestly to illustrate a "bottom up" approach far removed from the illusions distilled by the media. Corentin de Chatelperron and his "low tech" nicknames...
I content myself with describing my attempts and trying to resolve the main practical difficulties, it is up to others to take hold of them: the final result will depend strictly on the number of vocations aroused...

Coming back to wood-logs, and more generally wood energy, I include it in the mining resources, since this renewable character which the "responsible" gargle about is only observed at a level of extraction that is little related to a possible somewhat serious tilt on this "deposit". Since the beginning of the year, there has been significant pressure on collection, but the latter is not very elastic, in the sense that even if, in the first analysis, potential availability is present (at least temporarily), the personnel and in materials are not able to respond quickly. The low cost of natural gas had in fact resulted in the disorganization of the wood sector to its advantage in the strategy of the managers of collective boiler rooms. It must be understood that there is a common trunk (sic!) in this resource with a versatile character (and not versatile!) and that depending on the situation, this or that use of the wood is privileged: combustible woodchip, wood-log or woodchip for the sign.
1 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 09/08/22, 21:48

Ahmed wrote:Coming back to wood-logs, and more generally wood energy, I include it in mining resources,

Yes, that's where we diverge...perhaps because for you as for me, fifty years necessary to reconstitute a "forest" from a cut, it seems very distant...But that you don't believe it, when I think it's possible.

Hence the interest of a slightly composite "log wood" (as much as possible!) to "plug the holes".
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 09/08/22, 22:10

No, my relationship to time is very particular and absolutely does not fit into this consideration...
It's just the difference between duration of consumption and re-production * which are not in a compatible proportion in my eyes, this qi is at the origin of the illusion of "durability" (the past has amply demonstrated). Not to mention the climate concerns that have more than hovered over the sustainability of forests for a few ages...

* You are talking about "cutting" and reconstitution, but a model of a very productive forest in firewood can very easily be designed, even on a small scale, with very close cuts (even annual), but with very low removals per surface unit: thus the surface of the photosynthetic sensor always remains maximum...
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 09/08/22, 22:36

Ahmed wrote:* You are talking about "cutting" and reconstitution, but a model of a very productive forest in firewood can very easily be designed, even on a small scale, with very close cuts (even annual), but with very low removals per surface unit: thus the surface of the photosynthetic sensor always remains maximum...

That would indeed be great, but I haven't noticed that it's the dominant model. Examples?
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 10/08/22, 11:33

The application of this model presupposes either a lot of manpower (which can be simple on an individual scale), or a reflection on the optimization of this mode of management and on the adaptation of the tools. Due to the lack of commercial value of this type of production on the one hand and the constraints imposed by the mechanization of forestry work on the other, this remains a simple idea. A change in the weighting of the criteria for the roles assigned to the forest would be a prerequisite for certain areas to be devoted to it. Moreover, compromises are entirely possible by mixing firewood and timber production according to the objectives that are set and the area allocated.
Note: it would be interesting, on an experimental basis, to see what a mixture of hardwoods including locust would give and whether it is possible to control its invasiveness through this particular mode (clear cuts radically favor its predominance because of its many multiplicative capacities and the youthful vigor of its growth).

I spoke above of substitutability in uses, but the paper/cardboard from which my logs are made come mainly from softwood trees, hardwoods with shorter fibers being less appreciated, apart from eucalyptus (cultivated massively in Spain where it cause a lot of problems). Firewood favors hardwoods, but in times of crisis we are not so observant and a form of competition could appear. Myself, I routinely burn various pines, either from standing trees (thriving!) or from gardens around my house (there comes a time when these trees become too bulky or dangerous).
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 10/08/22, 22:16

I would like to elaborate a bit on my answer to your interesting question. I have spoken of the diversity of criteria for using the forest: it is clear that the case of a small area devoted exclusively to the production of logs or chips for someone for whom this is the priority concern does not constitute not a generality. Because on the one hand these criteria are likely to evolve, sometimes rapidly, and on the other hand the weather of the forest implies initial choices that cannot be modulated later, a good approach consists in seeking to fulfill several objectives simultaneously, knowing that a few inflections along the way will be possible.
A mixed forest, both in terms of species and ages, offers this possibility while having greater resilience to climatic and circumstantial hazards, this is what the ProSylva association defends. Admittedly, it is more complicated to exploit than industrial forests, but it is also much more pleasant and the biodiversity that can be observed there provides an additional pleasure... 8)
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 12/08/22, 11:56

Uh dumb question for Ahmed: do you think your press would work with grass clippings?

Because I have a few hundred kg of mowing waste per year... well, a little less this year (like many people) 8) 8) 8)

Don't laugh: some boiler rooms work with straw...see cereals!
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 12/08/22, 12:44

Grass clippings are clearly among the substances useful to the soil and which should not be used as fuel. Theoretically this would obviously be possible (some do), but the intrinsic interest is slim.
Independently of the substance considered, its circuit must also be taken into account: in the case of paper/cardboard, it is a long circuit which in no way depends on the end user who only buys it indirectly (it is never the packaging that is desired, but its content), it is up to him to find a use that suits him; in the case of grass or branches, the producer should consider himself as a generator of raw material which is a resource and not a waste.
1 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 12/08/22, 13:45

Agree with the approval of the ground: my old Stiga Park from 1994 is equipped with mulch blades... the cutting blades I have them but I have never mounted them...

Except that most of my neighbors (and other human lawn mowers...not to be confused with grazers huh Macro!) don't mulch...they make a big disgusting pile of grass clippings at the bottom of the garden (which in some extreme case could even produce methane...so catastrophic for the climate)...or worse, bring the waste back to the recycling center (which makes it, I don't know what, from 45 tonnes to tens or hundreds of km for value them... Congratulations on the carbon footprint!)

Their lawn is no worse than mine! So it shouldn't affect much...

So I think it's a track to seriously explore... then you have to see the production of an are of lawn in dry matter so in kWh per year... I don't have the figures in mind but I remember that the lawn is one of the best easily accessible methanogen therefore the energy of the mowing waste must be quite interesting in direct combustion!

As long as we know how to compact them well enough: and that's your part of the job 8) 8) 8)

Regarding the paper/cardboard resource: it all depends on how you "consume"...yes it's waste but your own production probably won't be enough to heat you for a whole winter I think...unless you make 3 Amazon orders per day ... which would surprise me in your case! : Lol: : Lol: : Lol:

It's been 15 years since I had a STOP PUB label on my mailbox...

In addition, paper/cardboard can still be recycled quite well... in overall terms, it would be really very difficult to say from lawn or cardboard which is the best, but I already have my idea...
0 x