haylage

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
habumko
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

haylage

by habumko » 10/03/22, 14:36

Hello everybody

Unfortunately I was not able to read all the posts and I hope my question has not already been answered.
What do you think of using the hay preserved in wrapped, ie fermented. The method is to enclose the fresh hay tightly. These are the different bacteria that work. This hay is more acidic (fermentation), I think PH 4.5 to 5, but totally seedless.
-is it too acidic for the garden?
-can we compensate with lime or bicarbonate?
-which properties of the hay are acquired and/or lost?

Thank you for your enlightened answers so that I can start my new garden. Good day.
0 x
Did67

Re: Wrapped hay

by Did67 » 10/03/22, 18:58

Good question - I almost didn't see it!

The question of the pH will depend a lot on the starting pH of the soil... In my opinion, if the fermentation is successful, it is a lactic fermentation and very quickly, this lactic acid will be... digested!

Who cares about the toxicity of a yogurt?? Yet it is milk preserved by lactic fermentation - and acid!

Who cares about the digestion of cows? Exactly bacteria from the stomach of cows?

I am convinced - without any proof!!! - that the soil will digest all this without difficulty. It is only in already clearly acidic soil that I will ask myself the question of the relevance of adding a layer (of acidity)... So a small pH test (strips at 3 francs 6 cents; extract with a coffee filter a solution after mixing 100 g of soil with 250 g of water... Shake well several times... Filter... Measure the pH).

You can try on a part of the vegetable garden, in case of the slightest doubt.

The main problem, in my opinion, will be that wrapping is a technique for "ensiling" immature grasses (we optimize the PDN/PDI - therefore the nitrogen of the grass; by mowing low fibrous grasses early - afterwards, the C/N ratio increases: more and more fibres, less and less N-rich green matter). And suddenly, you risk running out of fiber compared to dried hay, usually mown later!!!

a) a cover that will not last long enough, will decompose too quickly...(too "fresh" material)

b) a lack of fiber for humification...

So you place the cursor more towards "organic fertilizer" than towards "structural stability / humic substances"...

At worst, one can imagine a vegetable garden... too fertile! My conviction - again !!! - is that a "too advanced" system is more sensitive to parasitism. It doesn't matter whether the nitrates come from ammonium nitrate, urine or soft grass!!!

But all this can be corrected very easily: add straw!

And keep me posted, I'm really interested!!!
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 10/03/22, 19:40

You forgot the sauerkraut. : Wink:
Did67 wrote: In my opinion, if the fermentation is successful, it is a lactic fermentation and very quickly, this lactic acid will be... digested!
If it's incorporated into the ground like a bokashi, or if it's kept moist by the rain, but in dry weather, only the part in contact with the ground will decompose, probably faster than conventional rolled out hay. :?:

Otherwise, to fertilize poor soil before the first gardening, it may be of interest : Wink:
In the garden, before planting: bury the Bokashi by mixing it with the soil one week before planting at the rate of 500 g per square meter.
During cultivation: the fertilizer obtained by fermentation being acidic, it must be incorporated deeply between the rows of vegetables or flowers.
https://magazine.hortus-focus.fr/blog/2 ... ompostage/
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 11/03/22, 09:51

izentrop wrote:
You forgot the sauerkraut.

Indeed !

That said, the comparison "living soil" / "digestive system (of mammals" has all the limits of comparisons: in our country, the stomach passes all food to an extreme acid treatment. Much more than vinegar or sauerkraut or sparkling water...

Ruminants are more interesting, because the rumen is closer to "living soil": it is a huge bacterial fermenter.

In the end, it all depends on the quantities! A watering can of bokashi has little to do, in terms of acidity, with a roll of wrapped!

Simply, in fact, it shows that the soil "collects" variations: it is an enormous buffer (for water, for heat, and for pH).
0 x
pi-r
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by pi-r » 11/03/22, 16:25

Personally, I wouldn't worry too much!
-for having seen what happened to the "excess" corn silage put in the vegetable garden, the flower beds,... in the dairy farms where I did internships in the 70s...
- on the other hand if you can make a more rigorous observation than my memories, it will be more interesting as Didier says..
0 x
habumko
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by habumko » 24/06/22, 09:53

Hello everybody

A little throwback to the wrapped.

This remains without little comparison and experience, since previously, in my old garden, I only put straw after a little grelinette.

The boots I got were unsuitable for animal consumption because they were damaged in storage and therefore moldy.
Perfect for the garden, but sometimes so tight that I had to put in some places an exaggerated and therefore uneven thickness.
And I didn't have the patience to wait until next year! So I started with a few late planted potatoes which are not very developed, then tomatoes and summer vegetables which are going well.

Aside from bindweed and yarrow (these are absolutely everywhere on the ground), unwanted weeds seem contained.
The ground remains very very very compact for the moment. The little "house test" says sandy-loamy. (but is it fair? it remains homemade and executed by my novice care! )
The moss that was on the ground resists: will it rot? Is it maintained by humidity, acidity -but I don't believe that-? Can she live without light?

In conclusion I would say that classic hay or haylage not much difference except that in my case the work of the mushrooms had already begun and there were very few seeds left capable of germinating.

Besides, I have a few rabbits. Do you think I can spread their manure on the surface like I do with plant waste?

Thank you for your shares and good jadin to all........
0 x