Destruction of biodiversity for the sake of cleanliness

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
VetusLignum
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Destruction of biodiversity for the sake of cleanliness

by VetusLignum » 08/02/22, 15:33

Macro wrote:I don't have the physical capacity to deal with this manually at the moment... So it will be mechanized clearing and certainly done by an agricultural work company...

So you're going to have the existing fruit trees destroyed along with the rest?
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 08/02/22, 15:40

VetusLignum wrote:Very interesting video, for a landscaping based on observation, laziness, and respect for nature.

it is easy to listen to, there is common sense which is rare these days, and no headache, I will continue
0 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
Macro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Macro » 08/02/22, 15:47

VetusLignum wrote:
Macro wrote:I don't have the physical capacity to deal with this manually at the moment... So it will be mechanized clearing and certainly done by an agricultural work company...

They died at 90% 20 years ago the land had been sold to naives who hoped to build their house on it while this land was and is still classified as a flood zone (no one has ever seen the slightest flood there but hey it's like that)... they had started skidding the land the trees were cut at the foot and we made wild regrowth which no longer gave any fruit (it was certainly grafted trees) maybe an apple tree that was in bad shape a rustic variety but all the rest is either dead or returned to the state of rootstock ... Oaks have grown in the middle and especially thorns up to 5 meters high ... in short a jungle
0 x
The only thing safe in the future. It is that there may chance that it conforms to our expectations ...
Rajqawee
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Rajqawee » 08/02/22, 16:11

Macro wrote:
VetusLignum wrote:

They died at 90% 20 years ago the land had been sold to naives who hoped to build their house on it while this land was and is still classified as a flood zone (no one has ever seen the slightest flood there but hey it's like that)... they had started skidding the land the trees were cut at the foot and we made wild regrowth which no longer gave any fruit (it was certainly grafted trees) maybe an apple tree that was in bad shape a rustic variety but all the rest is either dead or returned to the state of rootstock ... Oaks have grown in the middle and especially thorns up to 5 meters high ... in short a jungle

I don't think we'll teach you anything, but it never hurts to repeat it: a tree, it takes 10 years to have roughly a tree stump. Before, it's not great visually nor "shady" speaking. You have to think carefully when you cut down a tree, it is an act with "10 years of scope", or even more, depending on the size of the cut tree in question.

Without posing as a lesson giver, but rather to feed a reflection:
- the rootstocks, they have survived so far without any intervention. Using it precisely as a rootstock, even if it means grafting at 1,5m high, would perhaps allow you to maintain a root system, and to have in just a few years a visually much nicer tree.
- brambles/other troublesome things, it can be maintained in hedges around the perimeter of the area... especially brambles which give blackberries, if there are any :)
-the oaks, it's beautiful, it's robust, it makes "return points" to attach a rope (climbing liana but also hammock or children's swing!!)
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 25/05/22, 00:59

I've been practicing for years... I still intervene too much, but it's not easy to manage everything that stings and not bother the neighbors...
What's the point of letting the grass grow?
In ecological terms it simply has nothing to do with it. The tall grass retains the humidity of the morning dew, the soil remains cool, different plant species will appear and enrich it, whereas in summer the lawns burn out in a few days unless you water them abundantly.

As for the fauna, in the tall grass it abounds, it's a real jungle in miniature! In my house there are even praying mantises… On a shaved lawn, on the other hand, it's not the same story at all. We are rather in a desert of biodiversity. On this point the grass is really shit.
https://leterrien.fr/consternant/laisse ... rbe-bordel
IYou still have to mow well from time to time, right?
As little as possible. At home I don't mow, except to create walkways or functional spaces. I mow by hand, usually towards the end of winter and only in selected places. The tall vegetation shelters the auxiliary fauna in winter, and when it freezes it is magnificent.

Do not hesitate to diversify the mowing periods, this allows the different species of plants to reseed themselves from one season to another. But above all avoid cutting just before summer so as not to disturb nesting. As with hedges, if you can leave the birds alone from March to the end of September, that's fine.

There are no hard and fast rules other than minimal intervention. At home, I notice over time that the less I intervene, the better my garden is doing. There are a few thistles growing here and there... but that doesn't bother me at all, on the contrary: they attract the magnificent goldfinches. And if there are really too many of them, that it stings too much or that they risk creating a fuss with the peasant neighbours, I take out the scythe after they bloom to eliminate some of them, so that everyone is happy. Thus, foragers (and their predators) will have taken advantage of the flowers.
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 31/05/22, 02:47

"No mow may" (translate: "No mower in the month of May") launched by the English NGO Plantlife, which encourages British garden owners not to mow their lawn during this fifth month of the year. The goal is simple: preserve biodiversity to allow flora and fauna to flourish in tall grass gardens:“100 square meters of unmowed lawn would produce enough pollen to feed six brood cells of mining bees and enough nectar to meet the needs of six bumblebees a day,” notes the NGO.

For several years, this operation in favor of biodiversity has had some success in the kingdom of perfect lawns: "In 2021, 78,8% of the 2 respondents did not mow their lawn in May, an increase of 157 .33,6% compared to 2019”, observes Plantlife. The idea is so good that it has also been taken up in Belgium and Germany, where 75% of households have a garden.
0 x