Le Potager du Sloth: Gardening without fatigue more than Bio

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: The Kitchen Garden Sloth: Gardening without fatigue more than Bio

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 13/02/22, 18:45

Did67 wrote:
Adrien (ex-nico239) wrote:
There is a “yellow” (from the gleaning of 2019) and a “black crimean” style but large in size
Both are rather large: which is not very smart if you want to have tomatoes early in the season
We have not yet found a "small" tomato that we really like

Don't focus too much on size; I have, among the precocious ones, Gregory Altaï, who is a "big one"... Well, for the taste, I'm poorly equipped. I have not trained this skill. To tell you, I classify the wines as "good" or "disgusting"!

My precocious-house, I don't know if it's psychological or not, but seem to me to have taste, compared to what we can buy!

Ah OK...
Must say that I mainly focused on the techniques adapted to the place and it takes time these co .... 5 years already
This year will be the first where taste will really come into play for another probably endless quest.

The yolks are not too slow
The others I ignore
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 13/02/22, 18:53

Did67 wrote:Have you ever had a lift in the fall?? Under some of my feet, I had germinations in the fall... I think there are very important varietal differences. From memory, I believe that a "Bloddy Butcher" (???) fallen to the ground sprouted almost instantly...

But otherwise, indeed, it spends the winter "frozen" and germinates in the spring... I have lots of spontaneous emergences every year - we could play the lottery to find out what it will be!

we do not digest tomato seeds, my father when he worked in the city, he collected his tomato plants at the sewage treatment plant, it was indeed a nice lottery, but free tomato plants as long as you wanted them and when you wanted some, it had a practical side : Mrgreen:

on the other hand, spreading station sludge really needs to be dosed to the mini mini, the first year if you put too much on it it no longer plays the role of weedkiller : Mrgreen: not to mention that it could be really very strong
0 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
pi-r
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by pi-r » 14/02/22, 09:49

Did67 wrote:Have you ever had a lift in the fall?? Under some of my feet, I had germinations in the fall... I think there are very important varietal differences. From memory, I believe that a "Bloddy Butcher" (???) fallen to the ground sprouted almost instantly...

But otherwise, indeed, it spends the winter "frozen" and germinates in the spring... I have lots of spontaneous emergences every year - we could play the lottery to find out what it will be!

not really because I took care to do that late in the season and to put the containers in the coldest corner of the garden... but it was like you said a bit of a lottery! I sorted the containers by category: cherries, reds, yellows,...
on the other hand, each year, as you say, I have spontaneous upsurges in the fall where I grow them in year n. there were feet there in year n-1 sometimes also in the spring... like everyone else I think!
Moindreffor wrote:we do not digest tomato seeds, my father when he worked in the city, he collected his tomato plants at the sewage treatment plant, it was indeed a nice lottery, but free tomato plants as long as you wanted them and when you wanted some, it had a practical side : Mrgreen:

I confirm I once had to empty a small septic tank on a farm. at the corner of the field where I had emptied my wheelbarrows it was a "real jungle" of tomatoes of all sizes and shapes! my wife made green tomato jam for several years....she didn't want to make any more because she had taken a "sadouille" of these tomatoes!
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 14/02/22, 10:17

Yes, in my phyto-pedo-purification station, before it was properly vegetated (reeds), the first invasive plant was the tomato!!! A hydroponic culture, in short, on a bed of sand!
0 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 15/02/22, 00:13

The score of the "bell player"

Sunday cool day and not very sunny
In the morning I pick up the bell but I leave the safes closed (without taparel of course)

Night from Sunday to Monday announced day of rain / snow we do not touch anything: closed chest no taparel no bell, on the other hand chest which are not afraid (chews) remain open
Monday rain and snow the chests remain closed all day

Night from Monday to Tuesday with promise of release on Tuesday: so who knows a freezing daybreak with the snow that has fallen (little but which covers the ground)
So at nightfall I ring the bell again and close the chests with the taparels this time.

Bell probe 2 in probe box 7
At the start around 18 p.m. it was less than 5 under the bell.
As soon as the cords tripped it went up to 12.6 now
The trunk being at 7.5
Obviously the cords pass under the bells which fill with hot air... and play the role of a second chest.

Attention the differential is not at all the same if we had a sunny day before nightfall
Because in this case the bottles take over and chest and bells display almost similar values

Next experiment: cut a can of kerdane so that the new volume is half the current volume and see if, as a result, the temperature is higher or not.

To be continued
0 x
pi-r
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by pi-r » 16/02/22, 09:32

little question for 2 pennies:
I prepare my seeds for future sowing and I read on the package concerning basil: "do not cover the seed, only germinate in light"

I'm a little surprised by these recommendations...and you?
0 x
Rajqawee
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Rajqawee » 16/02/22, 12:56

pi-r wrote:little question for 2 pennies:
I prepare my seeds for future sowing and I read on the package concerning basil: "do not cover the seed, only germinate in light"

It seems out of the hat, it is not present in the literature. It's just like all small seeds: too much soil prevents them from breaking through.
0 x
Biobomb
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Biobomb » 16/02/22, 13:53

pi-r wrote:little question for 2 pennies:

I have always sown basil in 1cm deep furrows. Everything raises nickel. Do not tamp the potting soil. Below I water with fine apple.
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 16/02/22, 14:44

pi-r wrote:

I also think it's overkill.

For seeds "in need of light" (first and foremost lettuces!) I proceed as follows:

- a terrine of slightly moist potting soil
- I "lead" and level with a planchette, a scrap cleat, etc. - whatever comes to hand
- I sow ("light" - we always sow too much!)
- I iron my utensil by "rubbing" a bit like a mason trotting a plaster; this is enough to both lightly bury and promote seed-soil adhesion

Keep moist by misting (so as not to crust the surface too much). For those who are not allergic to minimal use of plastic, the terrine can be wrapped in plastic film for food preservation. It stay wet! I put a few small holes in it.

Note: the risk of burying too much is much greater than the risk of not doing it enough - in a germinator, all the usual seeds germinate on a damp blotter! It is therefore not necessary to bury provided that it is kept moist!!!! Germination tests are done like this.
0 x
pi-r
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by pi-r » 16/02/22, 16:32

thank you to everyone for your "returns" which confirm my point of view: the message on the package is quite absurd!
so far I have always practiced in the direction you indicate and I will therefore continue...
To save space and time, here is how I proceed for my sowing:
-all in pots or terrines with the exception of radishes and large seeds such as broad beans, beans, peas that I do "in place"
- in homemade potting soil = sieving of platform compost
- settling by "tapping" the bottom of the container
- cover with a very light layer of sand, slightly smoothed either with your finger or by rain if planned in the hours that follow
- humidification by soaking or spraying as needed
-possibility of frost protection at night in winter, or "shade" in summer
...and that's it!
with this technique, even I managed my seedlings quite well. but I still sow too thickly...lack of self-confidence no doubt...but it allows me to give plants to neighbors and friends...so!
0 x