Le Potager du Sloth: Gardening without fatigue more than Bio

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: The Kitchen Garden Sloth: Gardening without fatigue more than Bio

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 13/02/22, 16:28

Moindreffor wrote:doing nothing is still too widely frowned upon : Mrgreen:

Oh that's for sure
0 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 13/02/22, 16:30

Did67 wrote:My understanding is that it's more serious: the man has this grain of madness that makes him think that he's the one doing it, that it's thanks to him that it grows! And so, in my analysis, the "tricks to succeed in this or that" are above all psychology - to prove to yourself that you are a good person... When you flatter the "ego" sides of the human, the result is guaranteed...

The proof: the famous "Gout, these are MY tomatoes!". Which I replace with "Gout, these are the tomatoes from my vegetable garden"! (he produced it). When people compliment me on the taste of "my" vegetables, I take it - because after all, I still have the merit of not confusing my system and letting it do its thing while directing it!

You would have to taste it blind.
Would our vegetable garden be a winner every time?

This year I am doing a commercial variety from which I have collected the seeds.
I will see
At this moment I doubt that there is a big difference even if I hope to be wrong in my favor : Mrgreen:
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 13/02/22, 16:36

I don't understand: tomato seeds are not a problem...

When I go to eat a tomato of such a variety, I take a square of Paper Towel, I note the variety / the year, and I cut the tomato. On my cutting board (rinsed before to be sure that there are no seeds of another variety cut before), I have enough seeds, in one meal, for my crop the following year ... I dry my Soplin and file in a binder...

[Be careful, on the markets, even organic, many tomatoes are "hybrids" - false "coeur de boeuf" for example, etc... We do not know enough about it: "organic" mass production is today made with hybrids - with some nuances depending on the plant species. Although of course there is a small local production of rare and stable varieties - those rarely shed]
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 13/02/22, 16:44

Adrien (ex-nico239) wrote:
You would have to taste it blind.
Would our vegetable garden be a winner every time?

Compared to mass "organic" bought in stores (hypermarket or specialized store - except when it comes to local producers): yes, every time! I think I can recognize eyes closed.

Fortunately, there is a small "artisanal" production of quality, fragile varieties that are therefore only found locally. There, I think it's worth it.

I have already done the test 3 times with visitors (agronomist, journalists, hosts): tasting of 3 tomatoes X, Y and Z. Served sliced ​​on a plate. A drizzle of the same olive oil. A pinch of salt. That's all.

Every time praise. Except that one was... a hybrid variety (it was Prévia or Maestria or Diplom)!!!

This was to demystify the fact that "hybrids are disgusting"! Hybrids are disgusting the way they are produced. And non-hybrids bred the same way would be... disgusting!
0 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 13/02/22, 16:47

Did67 wrote:I don't understand: tomato seeds are not a problem...

When I go to eat a tomato of such a variety, I take a square of Paper Towel, I note the variety / the year, and I cut the tomato. On my cutting board (rinsed before to be sure that there are no seeds of another variety cut before), I have enough seeds, in one meal, for my crop the following year ... I dry my Soplin and file in a binder...

[Be careful, on the markets, even organic, many tomatoes are "hybrids" - false "coeur de boeuf" for example, etc... We do not know enough about it: "organic" mass production is today made with hybrids - with some nuances depending on the plant species. Although of course there is a small local production of rare and stable varieties - those rarely shed]

That's how we made the 2022 stock: by harvesting the seeds of the tomatoes we ate and loved.

In the markets there are sometimes nice things...

Memories of a gleaning

ap5r3imy.jpg
ap5r3imy.jpg (139.69 KiB) Viewed 1044 times
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 13/02/22, 16:51

This year I am doing a commercial variety from which I have collected the seeds.
I will see
At this moment I doubt that there is a big difference even if I hope to be wrong in my favor : Mrgreen:

You have to drip tomatoes bought with yours... blind. Never say anything in advance (other than "I'll let you taste 3 varieties and you'll tell me what you think"). And ask, if you have a group, to write down on pieces of paper (otherwise, the "biggest mouth in the herd" wins the opinion... It's psychological)

[Do you know if your recovered variety is a hybrid or not? Do you have the name? Cra unfortunately, in the trade, the name is only rarely indicated - and beware of the deception of "Coeur de Bœuf" in quotation marks, which means "of the Coeur de Boeuf type" and which can be a hybrid. On the site of the ex-GNIS, you can find out; it's the SEMAE today: https://www.semae.fr/catalogue-varietes/]
0 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 13/02/22, 17:04

Did67 wrote:
I will see

You have to drip tomatoes bought with yours... blind. Never say anything in advance (other than "I'll let you taste 3 varieties and you'll tell me what you think"). And ask, if you have a group, to write down on pieces of paper (otherwise, the "biggest mouth in the herd" wins the opinion... It's psychological)

[Do you know if your recovered variety is a hybrid or not? Do you have the name? Cra unfortunately, in the trade, the name is only rarely indicated - and beware of the deception of "Coeur de Bœuf" in quotation marks, which means "of the Coeur de Boeuf type" and which can be a hybrid. On the site of the ex-GNIS, you can find out; it's the SEMAE today: https://www.semae.fr/catalogue-varietes/]

No, I don't know which varieties I like.
There is a “yellow” (from the gleaning of 2019) and a “black crimean” style but large in size
Both are rather large: which is not very smart if you want to have tomatoes early in the season
We have not yet found a "small" tomato that we really like

The ones whose seeds I bought did not please me... pfff
There was a real Crimean black, small to medium and round and a paul robeson (blah)...

Otherwise, while reviewing photos, I came across this one...
Stayed all winter in this plastic pot outside.
My wife had everything reassembled and the music was on

rotten tomatoes after winter.JPG
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 13/02/22, 17:32

There is a “yellow” (from the gleaning of 2019) and a “black crimean” style but large in size
Both are rather large: which is not very smart if you want to have tomatoes early in the season
We have not yet found a "small" tomato that we really like

Don't focus too much on size; I have, among the precocious ones, Gregory Altaï, who is a "big one"... Well, for the taste, I'm poorly equipped. I have not trained this skill. To tell you, I classify the wines as "good" or "disgusting"!

My precocious-house, I don't know if it's psychological or not, but seem to me to have taste, compared to what we can buy!
0 x
pi-r
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by pi-r » 13/02/22, 18:27

sowing whole tomatoes works very well. I practiced it several years before my retirement to have "educational" tomatoes for children and the pleasure of a tomato cut in half with basil and olive oil which goes well! everyone was happy...
my technique was to put in "containers" filled with soil and compost, pieces of tomato recovered in the garden of the brother-in-law. this at the very end of the season with overripe tomatoes that have more or less fallen to the ground. I put the "containers" north of the house and in the spring I had bundles of plants to transplant...
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 13/02/22, 18:38

Have you ever had a lift in the fall?? Under some of my feet, I had germinations in the fall... I think there are very important varietal differences. From memory, I believe that a "Bloddy Butcher" (???) fallen to the ground sprouted almost instantly...

But otherwise, indeed, it spends the winter "frozen" and germinates in the spring... I have lots of spontaneous emergences every year - we could play the lottery to find out what it will be!
0 x