My vegetable garden at 54

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Did67

Re: My vegetable garden at 54

by Did67 » 13/02/22, 12:13

Just to avoid reasoning like I see in "dogmatic sores": I'm not talking about heating; I'm talking about putting "frost protection"; I have, in my chassis, a 12 m heating cable (zigzag), with a thermostat calibrated at + 3°C... The installed power is 10 W per meter, i.e. 120 W.

What happens: the temperature drops throughout the night; on cold nights, at some point (I didn't have a recorder last year; this year, I'm going to be able to trace that), we risk going below + 3°C; the heating switches on, until around 8 a.m. (when the sun takes over; if it's very cold, the weather is very nice)... Let's say that it switches on at 4 a.m., that would be 4 a.m. heating at 120 W... That is 0,5 kWh!!! We have about 2 of them!

I "waste" more electricity making my coffee during the week in question. But that, sores find it normal to have a nice coffee maker... And they will call themselves a barista!

I'm going to improve, by adding thermal pads (water bottles - we talked about it with Adrien; he did it: me still not!!!! But it's coming! See his recordings: it's terribly effective]. The likelihood of the cable only snapping in extreme circumstances (the jelly of the decade!) increases further, but I'll leave it to sleep alone!
0 x
Gardenerof54
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Gardenerof54 » 13/02/22, 13:10

Did67 wrote:Just to avoid reasoning like I see in "dogmatic sores": I'm not talking about heating; I'm talking about putting "frost protection"; I have, in my chassis, a 12 m heating cable (zigzag), with a thermostat calibrated at + 3°C... The installed power is 10 W per meter, i.e. 120 W.

What happens: the temperature drops throughout the night; on cold nights, at some point (I didn't have a recorder last year; this year, I'm going to be able to trace that), we risk going below + 3°C; the heating switches on, until around 8 a.m. (when the sun takes over; if it's very cold, the weather is very nice)... Let's say that it switches on at 4 a.m., that would be 4 a.m. heating at 120 W... That is 0,5 kWh!!! We have about 2 of them!

I "waste" more electricity making my coffee during the week in question. But that, sores find it normal to have a nice coffee maker... And they will call themselves a barista!

I'm going to improve, by adding thermal pads (water bottles - we talked about it with Adrien; he did it: me still not!!!! But it's coming! See his recordings: it's terribly effective]. The likelihood of the cable only snapping in extreme circumstances (the jelly of the decade!) increases further, but I'll leave it to sleep alone!

Please note that this was not a reproach after I'm not too comfortable leaving something plugged in unattended, but that said, you convinced me. I haven't seen Adrien's thermal pads but I'll follow with interest.
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 13/02/22, 14:15

I just wanted to clarify. Because obviously, when on Youtube I talked about this way of "protecting" my seedlings in my frame, last year, I had the right to this reproach...

I realized that when you put an electric "device", it is likened to a "heating". While it is only a security!
1 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 13/02/22, 14:25

Did67 wrote:I just wanted to clarify. Because obviously, when on Youtube I talked about this way of "protecting" my seedlings in my frame, last year, I had the right to this reproach...

I realized that when you put an electric "device", it is likened to a "heating". While it is only a security!

Colemann heats a part of the greenhouse where he "works" and conditions his vegetables before sale, so as not to work curdling, but hey, not the tropics either, and he uses this for certain seedlings, he specifies because he says he only works in cold greenhouses

precision is sometimes useful : Mrgreen:
0 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
Did67

by Did67 » 13/02/22, 14:30

It has a climate that is clearly harsher than ours!

And then, in addition to "heating / protecting against frost", you have to distinguish between producing your plants (on a small area) and producing your vegetables (on large ones)...

At home, it's not even a question of forcing: I don't try to have vegetables very early. But only to avoid the catastrophy by the 3 nights of frost which could destroy everything like 1 year out of 3... The rest of the time, the device does not act.
1 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 13/02/22, 15:19

Did67 wrote:It has a climate that is clearly harsher than ours!

And then, in addition to "heating / protecting against frost", you have to distinguish between producing your plants (on a small area) and producing your vegetables (on large ones)...

At home, it's not even a question of forcing: I don't try to have vegetables very early. But only to avoid the catastrophy by the 3 nights of frost which could destroy everything like 1 year out of 3... The rest of the time, the device does not act.

it's your insurance, it only intervenes in the event of a problem and with a little thermal inertia brought by bottles of water, the device will have even less opportunity to be triggered

the investment and the cost of using the device being so derisory that to do without it it would be preferable to sow later so as not to fear this strong late frost, but all of a sudden without speaking of precocity, to shorten the season or possibly having to redo a semi in the event of breakage
0 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
Did67

by Did67 » 13/02/22, 16:19

My reflection is that more and more, it will be necessary to "dodge" the summer. Too difficult for many vegetables (gone to seed). Too demanding for the gardener: watering (not to mention the problem of water). And contrary to what many believe, high temperatures decrease production (optimal temperatures, even for tomato type sinners) are in the 25/30° range (and sometimes closer to 25!)....

So I do like the farmers: cultivate earlier!

But I expose myself to the rare outbursts of winter, which from time to time shows that it exists... Well, that it existed... So it pretends to exist like yesterday... .

And so buffer + cable... Tomorrow, it's off in my frame... A little effort, which allows me to finish the first crops in June... And after, I reduce the sails, even if of course, tomatoes, beans, eggplants, melon and other cucurbits can only be grown in summer!
0 x