Vegetable garden of the (super) lazy in the 04 (800m)

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Laziness of the (super) lazy in the 04 (800m)

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 10/11/20, 11:46

Did67 wrote:
Adrien (ex-nico239) wrote:
When we see this report we see all the same that she likes aneciques ...
Shouldn't they work all my little stock

It is their staple food. So yeah, it's a bit boring. But in reality, they only eat those fallen in the galleries, which they browse all day long ... I do not think that it is a big predator of worms, which still have enough places intact elsewhere ...

I also caught one two days ago - again big underground activity. I caught two mole rats and a mole.

In theory, I don't like to trap moles, which I consider "quite useful" (soil aeration, "tillage"). But they "prepare" the ground for mole rats, less well armed to dig galleries. In short, they are the tunnel boring machines of mole rats. So I trap them anyway ...

Ah ok well we will monitor this ....

However, our army of cats will soon increase to 11 ... Image
0 x
GuyGadeboisTheBack
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by GuyGadeboisTheBack » 11/04/21, 14:05

0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 11/04/21, 14:28

What are you doing (and how please) against the “white grubs” that feed on the roots?

(I mean when there are a lot)
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 11/04/21, 16:33

1) We identify them because there are the larvae of cetonia, rather useful and "digesters" of dead organic matter, which resemble like two drops of water the larvae of chafer, root eaters. One has a big ass and a small head and the other it's the other way around (like what, you can't have it all!) - but I always get confused about who is the big one ass and who's the big head!

2) If it's cetoin, we leave.

3) If it's chafer, we think about it: I put my gardening in line with my ideas, and I contribute to the return of the chafer (there are not that many any more), at the cost of a loss of some of my vegetables (one can be generous donor without going through NGOs) or I eradicate (priority to my stomach, which for the predator that is man, has a certain legitimacy too!)

4) If one leans for his belly, there are preparations based on entomophagous nematodes (Heterorhabditis bacteriophora better known by its code name "Hb" - not to be confused with its cousins, which attack other larvae or slugs - "Ph"), which become embedded in the larvae, inoculate therein with bacteria which, with their toxins, kill the larvae ... Fairly limited collateral damage to other larvae in the soil ... As a last resort , I do not forbid "biocontrol" as this biological fight is now called.
2 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 11/04/21, 16:56

Thank you ! If so, Cetonia larvae are greyish white, while Chafer larvae are yellowish white, so you will recognize them more easily.

What about “helper nematodes” against slugs? (I saw this on a video of a guy who put up an “electrified barrier” against the slugs, it doesn't kill them with a 9V battery but they don't like it, they don't come back .... : Cheesy: very funny to see:

0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 11/04/21, 19:18

Obamot wrote:
What about “helper nematodes” against slugs? (I saw this on a video of a guy who put up an “electrified barrier” against the slugs, it doesn't kill them with a 9V battery but they don't like it, they don't come back .... : Cheesy: very funny to see:

There are those who play with a sandbox. Me, I have 900 m²! Go close this (and keep the fence no short circuit!)
1 x
Did67

by Did67 » 11/04/21, 19:19

Obamot wrote:Thank you ! If so, Cetonia larvae are greyish white, while Chafer larvae are yellowish white, so you will recognize them more easily.

It's like the "big ass": in 8 days, when I fall on it, I won't remember which one is yellowish!
2 x
fracass
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by fracass » 11/01/22, 10:13

Hi, I am posting here to avoid opening a new topic.
Last year during confinement I made an automated greenhouse (a nursery in fact) to do the seedlings.
I would like to redo several, each adapted to a type of plant. Do you know the optimal conditions for various types of plants?
humidity, temperature, sprinkler or root watering, etc ...?
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 11/01/22, 15:24

Type of mycelium?
0 x
phil53
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by phil53 » 11/01/22, 17:11

Obamot wrote:Thank you ! If so, Cetonia larvae are greyish white, while Chafer larvae are yellowish white, so you will recognize them more easily.

I made 2 which are powered by the sun. Some slugs manage to pass anyway. From my point of view, the frames should not be too big. When the seedling is high enough I move the frame and make a new seedling. For the cabbage or zucchini, I wrap a copper strip around the base, it calms them too.
0 x