Le Potager du Sloth: Gardening without fatigue more than Bio

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Boris70
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

Re: The Kitchen Garden Sloth: Gardening without fatigue more than Bio

by Boris70 » 21/10/21, 15:32

Gray_mouse.jpg
Souris_grise.jpg (47.44 KiB) Viewed 1842 times

End of the romance with the gray mouse in my greenhouse! The cohabitation went well so far but with the coming autumn it began to ravage my winter vegetable garden: rows of peas, lettuce, parsley, ... it was not easy to catch with a swatter. And even the day I got her she had eaten the whole piece of apple that served as bait before she got caught in the trap.

Last year a couple of voles invited into the greenhouse, but they left when I cut up the frozen tomato stems in November. They ate the apple cores that I left on the surface and had not attacked any vegetables.

Either way, these rodents were drawn to surface composting ... so I'll be doing it outdoors instead.
0 x
Recharge your batteries in sacred places http://www.lokahita.fr
Yool
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by Yool » 21/10/21, 17:19

Adrien (ex-nico239) wrote:Well say the little seed is starting to germinate well ...

After a first successful experience of abandoning aboveground in favor of living soil, greenhouse tomato growers are continuing the experiment with a new 3ha greenhouse.

Hope it lasts

It's great what vdtp manages to do. The start of a big change?
1 x
Doris
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Doris » 21/10/21, 18:37

Boris70 wrote:
Either way, these rodents were drawn to surface composting ... so I'll be doing it outdoors instead.

I don't know if this will be a big game-changer? Have you never had an attack outside? I, who until now do not have a greenhouse, have had visitors, and I think that the cattle were attracted by surface composting.
0 x
"Enter only with your heart, bring nothing from the world.
And don't tell what people say "
Edmond Rostand
Boris70
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Boris70 » 21/10/21, 19:31

Doris wrote:
Boris70 wrote:

I don't know if this will be a big game-changer? Have you never had an attack outside? I, who until now do not have a greenhouse, have had visitors, and I think that the cattle were attracted by surface composting.

For the moment, my winter vegetable garden is mainly in a greenhouse. Outside, I don't have much this year. I would see in due time but outside there are also all the predators: cats, martens, buzzards, owls.
0 x
Recharge your batteries in sacred places http://www.lokahita.fr
Miaos
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Miaos » 23/10/21, 12:59

I have never had the folly to pretend to pick up fruit that fell on the ground in my garden. Whether it is apples, pears, blackberries, blueberries, raspberries and so many others, what falls to the ground stays there and eventually disappears. Many animals are used, it is also sometimes spectacular on the autumn olive trees (Elaeagnus umbella) or sea buckthorns with migrating birds of passage.

For me, abundance allows sharing with nature, I apply "the share of birds". I want goumi? I plant 5 feet. 2 for my needs, 3 for whom it may concern and I scatter them among a multitude of other species. The result is an impressive diversity in what swarms the garden with a beautiful balance "pest / predator" of all sizes and shapes. Everyone has their share and I no longer have "raids" that leave me empty branches when I arrive with my basket.

If this is valid for the orchard, I imagine it is valid for the vegetable garden. Cultivate abundance, especially in diversity, and let nature balance itself. In my personal tests, the slugs make me see it but I imagine that it will be balanced little by little, so I trap when I think about it, often not enough, but too bad. Who knows, maybe the fox will become "limacarian"? : Mrgreen:

For the greenhouse, it is so "open door" that often only the roof remains. All the diversity of the garden is therefore easily invited and I only have a few occasional visits that are not very embarrassing.
0 x
GuyGadeboisTheBack
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by GuyGadeboisTheBack » 23/10/21, 13:05

0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 23/10/21, 22:46

Miaos wrote:... Everyone has their share and I no longer have "raids" that leave me empty branches when I arrive with my basket.

Me, on some fruit trees, I cannot find my share: the elderberry is pecked faster than the berries ripen, no way for two years to remake my liquor made 3 or 4 years ago ... Everything starts before .. .

With the cherries, I manage to have a share, but I must not delay getting out of the scale ...

Currently, it is the figs which pass there; I see the branches that move ...

Birds are safe from my cats. Nothing upsets them!

On the ground it's okay. Rodents are controlled. Except the underground - there, I manage to control with a trapping and enough "plants-martyrs" ...

AND I realize that I am lucky to be generally very, very late ... My greenhouse has a hinged door, to remove it in the summer. For 3 or 4 years, I have wanted to set a threshold to limit cold drafts ... For 3 or 4 years, this has not been done. Result, my cat passes and he loves to hunt dry and warm !!! Sometimes, when the weather is nice, he takes a nap in the hay. And watch the grain. Finally, with vegetables !!!
0 x
Miaos
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Miaos » 25/10/21, 20:14

A thousand apologies, the "ta" must have jumped.

I have a little the same for the delays. A situation of altitude (quite relative) which maintains a cooler environment in the spring and delays the breaking out, which often makes it possible to avoid waking up before the last frosts.

For figs, are birds attacking them?

Elderberry, it is often enough to let several grow. It becomes encrusted fairly easily in living hedges and recut without fuss when it gets too big. My garden has a dozen left to right, all spontaneous. I ordered 'Haidegg 17' to add to the savages. Apparently a cultivar that produces nice big clusters. I have never tried liqueurs, but jelly has become traditional for my daughters.
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 25/10/21, 22:54

Yes ... Figs - there, I manage to have my share.

Elders are everywhere. Savages. Me, it's a purchased cultivar - I don't remember which one. Very close to the savages. The birds are on it very fiercely ... I hardly stand a chance, except sleeping in it - but it is a very fragile wood; it's hard to imagine building a cabin there!
0 x
Doris
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Doris » 26/10/21, 12:29

Did67 wrote:
Doris wrote: : Mrgreen: the great mystery of the vegetable garden for me: 2021, successive heat waves until October, spontaneous emergence of lamb's lettuce from the beginning of August, all my sowing attempts have failed. 2022, time of cabbage in the Landes, except in August, my lamb's lettuce seedlings are all successful, but no spontaneous emergence, but not a shadow of one.

Do you have the "Contrariété" variety ??? (humor) [Or, more explicitly: "ellefaitchiercelle-là"]

Name of the variety: "jetemmerdejusqu'aubout". After having sown lamb's lettuce because no spontaneous emergence, I have lamb's lettuce which has been rising all over the place for a week.
0 x
"Enter only with your heart, bring nothing from the world.
And don't tell what people say "
Edmond Rostand