The vegetable garden without getting tired

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Biobomb
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

Re: The vegetable garden without getting tired

by Biobomb » 06/07/21, 22:50

Did67 wrote:

For your onions:

I have been making hybrid onions for 2 years. 100% success in volume, quality and conservation.
0 x
stephgouv
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by stephgouv » 07/07/21, 08:06

Did67 wrote:This ties in with my observations: the red varieties are generally more sensitive, I stopped making "Red baron" or "Carmen" in the spring ... Each time, it goes up.

Good to know that! Thank you.
A small photo is better than a long speech ...
20210329_160405.jpg
Red baron
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 07/07/21, 08:27

Biobombe wrote:
I have been making hybrid onions for 2 years. 100% success in volume, quality and conservation.

You mean you hybridized (crossed) varieties? Or real commercial hybrids (so HF1)?

I note in my "pink notebook" [yes, as I am distracted, I have a notebook in which I note the "good ideas". And he's ... pink!]

I planted a tray of purple onions in the fall (I don't think I wrote down the name; I think I remember that the tray had lost its label - it was the "funds lying around in a garden center when no one left. does not buy plants "). They are not mounted and are ... giant! Probably one of those HF1s!
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 07/07/21, 08:35

Biobombe wrote:
I haven't made red onions for a long time, like Didier and others certainly.

I try anyway, every year, always a seedling of "Rouge de Florence".

Last year, a seedling of "Morada de Amposta" was huge! The onions were touching each other in the row. Never watered. And excellent conservation: the last to germinate in my cellar ...

[I had kept open sachets: hardly any emergence this year; as I still had quite a few seeds, I did not recommend: fatal error; the more it goes, the more I realize that with the alliaceae, there is no need to squirm: you need fresh seeds, even if the dates indicated on the bag have not been reached !!! I will not be fooled again].
1 x
stephgouv
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by stephgouv » 18/08/21, 08:08

As with many people, the weather has hastened the harvest of potatoes (mildew is developed on all the plants).
20210814_165152.jpg
Harvest as of 2021

So what about this harvest (over approximately 7m2)?
- if I compare to 2020: disappointing harvest because many small potatoes
- if I compare with the work done for putting under hay: satisfactory harvest
So I can not draw any conclusion because different varieties of 2020 and gloomy (not to say rotten) weather.
See you next year for this culture.
What about the haulm after harvest?
Some burn them, I left in place.
20210814_165337.jpg
Harvest area

I started to harvest some red onions as well.
I did not expect to have such big ones and especially not rotten (again seen the weather forecast).
20210814_165253.jpg
Red-Sturon
1 x
Did67

by Did67 » 18/08/21, 08:39

I will come back in my video (in preparation) on mildew, on these "hygienic" approaches: wanting to "destroy" mildew is for me even more desperate than wanting to have a hospital without nosocomial diseases (despite the context, tiling, rounded edges , in spite of "aggressive" products, they do not succeed; so you speak of a vegetable garden! It is a pure fantasy. It is the "Duck WC" effect!). So I also leave. But I'm trying to rotate ...

Onions: same observation. Yet another long held belief: an onion is made to overwinter and grow into a plant that flowers in the second year. This is what is natural. It shields itself by hardening its outer tunics. Admittedly, the selection leads to "giant onions", undoubtedly more fragile. But I still take care of myself in the ground ... Delays! So another "recipe" that is not based on objective observations.

To qualify for the shallots, which can "rot" from the top: the heart, once all the leaves have dried. These, I collected them. There was a bit of a loss.
1 x
Doris
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Doris » 18/08/21, 09:23

stephgouv wrote:So I can not draw any conclusion because different varieties of 2020 and gloomy (not to say rotten) weather.
See you next year for this culture.
What about the haulm after harvest?
Some burn them, I left in place.

Impossible to compare last year and 2021, nothing is the same. At the end of the year, on another thread, I thought that I was not going to invest in a greenhouse, much too expensive to use it once every ten years. Well, once every ten years was now : Mrgreen: . 2021 will have been the year of an important experience on mildew, I have never had so many. But when I compare our way of doing things and other vegetable gardens, when I walk past, the difference is clear: we still manage to get some things from our gardens, while others, after two months of struggle with various products. point out the obvious. Whether it's around me or on youtube, I am amazed, when I hear, I saved my garden from mildew, and you listen, and they bleach the stains. It took me a long time to put it in my head, to save a culture thanks to bleach!
Otherwise, I too leave the tops in place, I do not burn. But a large part of it disappears: my ducks love the vegetation and the fruits attacked by the mildew.
1 x
"Enter only with your heart, bring nothing from the world.
And don't tell what people say "
Edmond Rostand
Doris
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Doris » 18/08/21, 09:40

Did67 wrote:I will come back in my video (in preparation) on mildew, on these "hygienic" approaches: wanting to "destroy" mildew is for me even more desperate than wanting to have a hospital without nosocomial diseases (despite the context, tiling, rounded edges , in spite of "aggressive" products, they do not succeed; so you speak of a vegetable garden! It is a pure fantasy. It is the "Duck WC" effect!).

That's what I was thinking too, because I know people, who burn all this garbage, disinfect equipment and everything, but have so much mildew every year. I think you have to live with it, you can limit the spread or the impact, but no more. In fact, what do the tomatoes do in your house after your absence? Here I have limited the breakage, but nothing more, soon I will have more, apart from four or five feet (Berao, June pink and Beefsteak for the kinds, maybe a foot or two of Rose de Berne, but this 'is uncertain). The baking soda works well, but the pressure was way too much this year.
0 x
"Enter only with your heart, bring nothing from the world.
And don't tell what people say "
Edmond Rostand
Did67

by Did67 » 18/08/21, 10:24

It comes back in the video that I just posted: I have everything, burnt feet (including Berao in some places), well affected feet (but at this stage with "savable" tomatoes - the fruit not reached) and up to 100% nickel plants (hybrids under my "hat" called "tomato tunnel"). Under my tunnel, no fruit reached. The feet are between "moderately" and "not at all"! The production continues (even if rain and + 18 ° at the moment !!!).

The findings are already very clear (video to come):

a) without a "hat", even resistant hybrids (not all of them are!) are affected, a fortiori the classic varieties ...
b) the elicitors (and bicarbonate) play a minor role: badly placed, without genetic "ultra-resistance", even treated, the feet "crament" ...
With these two elements alone, I would have produced very few tomatoes this year. Fresh produce in the greenhouse. A few outside. At this point, it would be almost done!
c) it is not just downy mildew: I have identified early blight (can be recognized quite well on symptoms, when we know them) and I suspect cladosporosis (but I do not have the means to verify)

This is therefore the second time in 5 years that the tunnel has saved my money (in 2017, the year it was set up - see video and especially the addendum added 10 days later).

I will refine the varietal choice, absolutely decisive, no offense to fans of old varieties and learning about tomatoes. Let them eat Jerusalem artichokes. I already intended to get the "ultra-resistant". This time, I stop procrastinating!

http://www.wallogreen.com/blog/?p=503
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 18/08/21, 10:28

And as regards "burn / compost" to sanitize, the 100% nickel feet are in the tunnel where for 6 years (it was already a tomato plot before the installation of the dome) I bury the feet, strings, rotten fruits (from disease) ... Finally, I leave on the spot and I pass over it with fresh hay around April ... before planting in May-June ...

Doesn't it give you food for thought? [Maybe not. You idiots, maybe that doesn't meditate!]

[PS: "Con" is not "bad" with me. I treat myself twice a day as an idiot. For forgetting this. For missing that ...]
0 x