My vegetable garden at 54

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Did67

Re: My vegetable garden at 54

by Did67 » 30/06/21, 09:18

Warning !!! Don't cross too much!

From an agronomic point of view, plants have an interest in exploring the entire volume of the soil. They do not only absorb water, but the soil solution, that is to say the water and minerals they need ...

Soil water is not only used for plants, but for all soil organisms, which need it just as much.

Neither are roots in a bun in a bucket a good sign, these "upside down buns" seem like a good thing to me. With regard to these two aspects.

[Of course, "it works!" Alas, a lot of nonsense works. This is why they flourish so much]

[More fundamentally, as I wrote in my second book, saving water cannot be a reasonable goal - plants need it. In order to produce, they need to "waste" water! It is saving water loss, mainly by evaporation from the surface of the soil, which must be. The advantage of the drip is that under the dripper grows a large bulb of moist soil, explored by the roots. And where the life of the soil is maintained. For me, it is very much higher. But I also write that oyas, it works. It is a form, not very lazy - must be buried! -, to locate the contributions and to keep the surface dry. So this is in line with what needs to be done. ]

However, everyone does what they want. If everything was rational in our lives ...
0 x
Biobomb
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Biobomb » 30/06/21, 09:40

Did67 wrote:
From an agronomic point of view, plants have an interest in exploring the entire volume of the soil.

A rye plant has 600 km of roots. I personally haven't checked, but it's from the guy from Dijon.
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 30/06/21, 09:47

And naturally, they are distributed more or less well in all the available volume (even if sometimes very small buns form in ... the worm galleries, where the latter have released their nitrogenous waste - ammonium).
0 x
Gardenerof54
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Gardenerof54 » 12/02/22, 14:55

Hello everybody

My apologies for not having given news on my vegetable garden last year, I will come back shortly on the good things and bad surprises simply there I would have liked to have your opinion.
I intend to start my pepper and eggplant seedlings under LED in mid-February and tomatoes in early March and I have a problem: I won't be at my house from April 17 to 24, so I wondered if I'd put my plants in the ground under my cold greenhouse on April 15 but protecting with a wintering veil (30g/m2 doubled) will that be enough to stop the frost?
Thank you in advance for your answers.
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 12/02/22, 15:24

To answer, you would have to be Mrs. Soleil (a famous clairvoyant to whom all the celebrities of Paris ran)...

No one knows what temperature it will be.

A cold greenhouse earns almost nothing, minimum temperature issue reached in the early morning (take a look at my last video, which, with supporting recordings, shows that a greenhouse, issue fight against frost, is a total decoy; c is a forcing tool).

A winter veil allows you to gain about 2°C... Maybe 3 by doubling, but it's not sure.

The hardiness (lowest temperature supported in dying) of your plants is around -2°C. And it decreases when the plants get taller. Very soon, it will be around 0°C.

Calculate yourself: if it's -5°C, it's done. This is possible. But not sure. To find out: consult Mme Soleil.

All you have to do is add an electric heater with a thermostat set to + 2 or + 3 °C.
0 x
Gardenerof54
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Gardenerof54 » 12/02/22, 15:59

Did67 wrote:To answer, you would have to be Mrs. Soleil (a famous clairvoyant to whom all the celebrities of Paris ran)...

No one knows what temperature it will be.

A cold greenhouse earns almost nothing, minimum temperature issue reached in the early morning (take a look at my last video, which, with supporting recordings, shows that a greenhouse, issue fight against frost, is a total decoy; c is a forcing tool).

A winter veil allows you to gain about 2°C... Maybe 3 by doubling, but it's not sure.

The hardiness (lowest temperature supported in dying) of your plants is around -2°C. And it decreases when the plants get taller. Very soon, it will be around 0°C.

Calculate yourself: if it's -5°C, it's done. This is possible. But not sure. To find out: consult Mme Soleil.

All you have to do is add an electric heater with a thermostat set to + 2 or + 3 °C.

Good thank you Didier, it's a bit what I feared as an answer, yes I saw your video on the different probes I even answered it afterwards I hoped that in April there was more luck, after - 5 it may be playable I need to see the temperature recordings on the nearest station over the last few years… wherever I find someone who takes care of my plants..
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 12/02/22, 16:39

It is quite possible - even probable. But not sure!

1) Yes, look at what the normals say (the temperatures of the last 30 years); see all the months of April and how many times we would have gone below - 4 or - 5 ° C...

Verification made, the probability of falling below -5°C is very low (at Nancy-Essey):
https://www.infoclimat.fr/climatologie/ ... 07180.html

The last time was in 2003... We were close to 2020...

And apart from 2021, the averages have risen very strongly since the beginning of the 90s...

2) Do not overlook the fact that the day before departure, the 7-day Météo France forecasts are now more than 80% reliable (and if in addition the 15-day trend does not foresee a sudden cold snap, you can leave calm... [The French being complainers, everyone prefers to say that the forecasters are always wrong; but 80% of them believe in the effect of the moon, that is to say that what they say doesn't make much sense; so look anyway]
0 x
Gardenerof54
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Gardenerof54 » 13/02/22, 10:28

Did67 wrote:It is quite possible - even probable. But not sure!

1) Yes, look at what the normals say (the temperatures of the last 30 years); see all the months of April and how many times we would have gone below - 4 or - 5 ° C...

Verification made, the probability of falling below -5°C is very low (at Nancy-Essey):
https://www.infoclimat.fr/climatologie/ ... 07180.html

The last time was in 2003... We were close to 2020...

And apart from 2021, the averages have risen very strongly since the beginning of the 90s...

2) Do not overlook the fact that the day before departure, the 7-day Météo France forecasts are now more than 80% reliable (and if in addition the 15-day trend does not foresee a sudden cold snap, you can leave calm... [The French being complainers, everyone prefers to say that the forecasters are always wrong; but 80% of them believe in the effect of the moon, that is to say that what they say doesn't make much sense; so look anyway]

Perfect thank you Didier, I'll advise at the last moment, hoping that Madame Soleil does not play me by distorting the predictions of our dear meteorologists : Wink:
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 13/02/22, 10:49

Final details:

a) the bigger your plants, the more sensitive they will be (so at this point "fear" from 0°C)

b) and know that between weather temperature and temperature at ground level, there is, on clear (radiative) nights, about 3°C ​​difference, less at ground level! So "adjust" the forecast accordingly!!! This is normal, and not a forecast error: meteorologists forecast the weather (under cover, 1,5 m above the ground, away from any obstacle or abnormal surface - lakes, macadam, etc.)...
0 x
Gardenerof54
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Gardenerof54 » 13/02/22, 11:08

Did67 wrote:Final details:

a) the bigger your plants, the more sensitive they will be (so at this point "fear" from 0°C)

b) and know that between weather temperature and temperature at ground level, there is, on clear (radiative) nights, about 3°C ​​difference, less at ground level! So "adjust" the forecast accordingly!!! This is normal, and not a forecast error: meteorologists forecast the weather (under cover, 1,5 m above the ground, away from any obstacle or abnormal surface - lakes, macadam, etc.)...

Ouch so there it's more annoying because if I launch my seedlings under LED at the beginning of March it should reach ten cm in mid April so more problematic and put an electric heater so so, maybe the solution of a warm layer...
0 x