Glued laminated wood bike (not cardboard!)

Transport and new transport: energy, pollution, engine innovations, concept car, hybrid vehicles, prototypes, pollution control, emission standards, tax. not individual transport modes: transport, organization, carsharing or carpooling. Transport without or with less oil.
Christophe

Glued laminated wood bike (not cardboard!)

by Christophe » 01/06/21, 18:04

A wooden bicycle, the idea is laudable (there were already other projects: inventions-innovations / a-wooden-bike-and-kit-the-sandwichbike-t14251.html ) ... but realization in glued laminated timber is complicated which will make the cost price soar ... what about resistance? Weight and ... durability?

On the other hand I think it must be pleasant to drive: the chassis was probably flexible enough to do without damping. : Cheesy:

The resistance of wood (Re) is at least 10 times less than aluminum and 20 times less than steel ...

Author's note: https://www.facebook.com/guillaume.dumont.lille/

Hello everyone !
At the end of 2020, I told you about my plan to make a low-tech bicycle. The project progressed and I created a blog around the project. http://bicycletteenbois.fr/
There is still a lot to do: test campaign, certification (?), Open-source plans, development of manufacturing kits, carbon footprint, financing ...
But the first step, which consists in making a first model which works and which works well, seems to be on the right track.

Thank you for your comments and advice!

bike_wood0.png
velo_bois0.png (1.45 MiB) Viewed 4038 times

velo_bois.jpg

velo_bois6.jpg
velo_bois6.jpg (206.69 KiB) Viewed 4038 times

velo_bois2.jpg
velo_bois2.jpg (112.67 KiB) Viewed 4038 times

velo_bois3.jpg
velo_bois3.jpg (111.42 KiB) Viewed 4038 times

velo_bois4.jpg
velo_bois4.jpg (149.38 KiB) Viewed 4038 times

velo_bois5.jpg
velo_bois5.jpg (90.32 KiB) Viewed 4038 times
0 x
Christophe

Re: Glued laminated wood bike (not cardboard!)

by Christophe » 01/06/21, 18:24

The wooden recumbent bike version ... same technique of realization: I present to you the ZELO (because it takes a sacred ZELE to embark on this realization!) ...

wood_recumbent_bike.jpeg
velo_couché_bois.jpeg (106.32 KiB) Viewed 4032 times

bicycle_recumbent_wood2.jpeg
velo_couché_bois2.jpeg (49.06 KiB) Viewed 4032 times

How much does he weigh? When I see the section of the beams ... : Shock: : Shock: : Shock:
There's no denying it: I prefer good old welded bolted steel! : Cheesy: : Cheesy:

But I salute the courage of the designers and it is true that it is beautiful with its curves!

https://www.lairdubois.fr/pas-a-pas/1-l ... -bois.html
0 x
Exnihiloest
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Glued laminated wood bike (not cardboard!)

by Exnihiloest » 02/06/21, 11:46

Nice achievement.
All that's left to do is put on the real wheels:

0 x