Le Potager du Sloth: Gardening without fatigue more than Bio

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: The Kitchen Garden Sloth: Gardening without fatigue more than Bio

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 18/05/21, 00:00

pi-r wrote:one more question: I have a number of my young tomato plants (2 true leaves) in honeycomb plates, which wither away because they have at ground level a "tightening" of the stem with a whitish color instead of the color usual brown. who has already observed this? an explanation while in the same cell the 2 or 3 other plants are doing well ... for now?

Wouldn't that be "collar rot"?
0 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 18/05/21, 00:07

3rd part (phew) of the winter salads series

I had a little supper of long formats ... yes I know not everyone has the same notion of long : Mrgreen:

But beware there is the notion of long view from the viewer's side and which does not bother me at all: 1 hour from Did or 8 from Sélosse and I doe

While 20mn seen from the side of the producer or the gardener ... pfff it starts to swell me.

I don't find it responsive enough.
This does not reflect what I experience in the vegetable garden on a daily basis which looks more like a series of small episodes of 2 or 3 minutes

It's been 10 times that I say to myself: "we must change", I will eventually succeed ... Image

Waiting...

1 x
stephgouv
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by stephgouv » 18/05/21, 07:41

Adrien (ex-nico239) wrote:
stephgouv wrote:
Adrien (ex-nico239) wrote:To see if they manage to survive until the end of the frosts (in 1 month?) And to start again?

So, does that give you a frost-free period from when to when?

In 2019 it had given June 13 / September 9
In 2020 the readings failed in the spring but in the fall the 1st frost fell on September 26

I understand better the use of chests now.
0 x
Doris
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Doris » 18/05/21, 08:17

Adrien (ex-nico239) wrote:But at the same time we are also in the experience
- know if you can leave potatoes in the ground at the time of regular harvests to sow: advantage no need to sow and the system is self-feeding
There the answer is undoubtedly yes
- but a yes that comes up against the weather, namely what risk if they go out too early?
Is this prohibitive and must be protected with simplified safes?
Or can we let nature take its course at the risk of frost ... as in the photos and it is only the leaves that protrude that will burrow and not the foot and it will start again correctly?

To be continued

Obviously, I don't have any feedback in an extreme situation than you, but as I'm quite playful on one side and relatively dizzy on the other side, then a few leads:
- potatoes sprouted on the surface of my vegetable garden and put under hay December 2019: they took the frost several times, and after a while no more regrowth. A few frail regrowths during the 2020 season, and no harvest, but I had not searched or searched enough, because I forgot a bit. In March 2021 still in the same place a few shoots, which have caught the frost three times I believe, at this place I did not want any potatoes, I let it happen, and yesterday while digging to plant I found some medium sized potatoes.
-2021 in January I put potatoes under a thick layer of hay, they come out in February. And since it was way too early, I just put on what I had left as a veil and greenhouse cover. The protection was removed in early May. Yesterday I looked a little and saw that it is good, without doing much research I found a small kilo, and many more to come.
You will see for your climate, but I retain for myself, that the tuber is strong, on the other hand at a given moment with repeated sudden frost, the reserves must be less, and if there are still regrowths, it does not give great things. A slight protection is necessary, with me veil and tarpaulin thrown above were enough, even with you simplified chests?
1 x
"Enter only with your heart, bring nothing from the world.
And don't tell what people say "
Edmond Rostand
pi-r
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by pi-r » 18/05/21, 09:01

pi-r wrote:one more question: I have a number of my young tomato plants (2 true leaves) in honeycomb plates, which wither away because they have at ground level a "tightening" of the stem with a whitish color instead of the color usual brown. who has already observed this? an explanation while in the same cell the 2 or 3 other plants are doing well ... for now?

Wouldn't that be "collar rot"?

I do not know ... but what I can observe in my plates corresponds very well to what Doris said and to the photos and descriptions of the simple sicetaits link on damping off ... anyway thank you for your feedback
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 18/05/21, 09:33

It's been 10 times that I say to myself: "we must change", I will eventually succeed ... Image

It reminds me of something!
0 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 18/05/21, 12:54

Did67 wrote:

It reminds me of something!

Yes it's hard to change rails sometimes ... and it takes the cabbage Image
0 x
newman
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by newman » 18/05/21, 12:54

- "2021 in January I put potatoes under a thick layer of hay ..."

Hello,
I did appear with PdT under thick layer and I wonder if the leaves will be strong enough to pierce the hay and come out. So you will confirm that yes? Because my young aspers have struggled. I had to help them by spreading the hay a little.
please
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 18/05/21, 13:00

As is often the case, the reality is ... complex. It depends on the hay and how it was put!

One year, I had problems with "piercing" by asparagus, potatoes, etc ... It was rolls that had remained in the rain, had molded. Suddenly, it was, unrolling, like a kind of carpet, "welded" by the filaments of the fungi and the glues of the bacteria ... And there, some vegetables struggled ...

I should have "shaken" all these kinds of "slabs" with a fork, to smash them, to crumble them. If it happens again, this is what I would do.

Otherwise, with "dry" hay, which did not thus "stick en masse", I had no other problems than, for example, a little twisted asparagus, because they "zigzagged" to find their way. They are just as good.
Last edited by Did67 the 18 / 05 / 21, 13: 14, 1 edited once.
1 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 18/05/21, 13:01

newman wrote:- "2021 in January I put potatoes under a thick layer of hay ..."

Hello,
I did appear with PdT under thick layer and I wonder if the leaves will be strong enough to pierce the hay and come out. So you will confirm that yes? Because my young aspers have struggled. I had to help them by spreading the hay a little.
please

Don't worry, the potato is a jackhammer or rather a vibrating hammer ...

We must be able to find videos on the net that show this vibratory phenomenon that releases everything in its path ...
1 x