My kitchen garden of the least effort

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Did67

Re: My kitchen garden of the least effort

by Did67 » 05/05/21, 14:53

Moindreffor wrote:
you had spoken I do not know where seedlings on sand, I stayed on the absorbent paper because it "works" well except that the very small rootlets are already fixed very quickly in the paper fibers and they can break, I therefore thought of the sand, since I was sifting it to put in my soil, but not tried, your intervention made me take the plunge, and indeed in the sand, the seedling is very easily recovered with the rootlet and a little sand sometimes which is not bad, and it's 100% reusable, not like absorbent paper ...

And by the way, we can make an edifying observation: even when dry, the sand "sticks" to the rootlets, "showing" the existence of glues from rhizobacteria!

[I filmed for an upcoming video on ginger]
1 x
Did67

by Did67 » 05/05/21, 14:56

Moindreffor wrote:
today I have recovered more than 60 tomato plants, thanks to my cousin, they will have to wait another fortnight before being put out, and for my part I have as many, which are much smaller but they still have this fortnight to grow, I now know when to sow for next year

Also to come in a video (another): production does NOT depend on the size of the plants; it would even be the opposite: the little ones would give more! I did a test on two lines, because for one variety, it turns out that I had small or very small on the one hand and large or very large on the other (tubers that had turned green and that I did not keep). So I made a line of each, in the same place, at the same time ...
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 05/05/21, 16:18

Did67 wrote:
Moindreffor wrote:
today I have recovered more than 60 tomato plants, thanks to my cousin, they will have to wait another fortnight before being put out, and for my part I have as many, which are much smaller but they still have this fortnight to grow, I now know when to sow for next year

Also to come in a video (another): production does NOT depend on the size of the plants; it would even be the opposite: the little ones would give more! I did a test on two lines, because for one variety, it turns out that I had small or very small on the one hand and large or very large on the other (tubers that had turned green and that I did not keep). So I made a line of each, in the same place, at the same time ...

I will be on the same kind of convictions, but I know that you are very poorly satisfied with convictions, unfortunately I do not have small and large plants of the same variety to make a "real" comparison
but when I think about it we often say that the root system (under the ground) is larger in size than the vegetative system (above the ground) unfortunately in a bucket the size of the root system is blocked by the bucket, on the other hand the vegetative system can develop, too much, and therefore an imbalance will be created or even a reversal of the natural situation, and therefore after transplanting the plant will need to rebalance itself, for a certain time to the detriment of something else, on the other hand, a small plant still balanced in its bucket transplanted at the right time will not need to go through this phase and therefore will not see any stop in its development and not only will it catch up with the other and ultimately overtake it
should indeed be tested, but at home the place is too scarce to test this effectively with a sufficient number of plants
0 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
alkaline
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by alkaline » 05/05/21, 23:05

I had the experience of planting organic store turmeric and also tuberous nasturtiums.
I put in my usual substrate: half soil from the garden, half soil with a handful of sand. It took a while but everything grew.
I even transplanted the nasturtiums in the ground this week.
The turmeric is in a pot and only stays outside during the day (well, I'm here to take care of it if not C in the garage) its leaves don't grow quickly but it's okay. I will have to make a photo of it.
1 x
it depends
Did67

by Did67 » 05/05/21, 23:39

Moindreffor wrote:should indeed be tested, but at home the place is too scarce to test this effectively with a sufficient number of plants

I was talking about the seed potatoes here - many people think the opposite is true.
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 06/05/21, 16:27

Did67 wrote:
Moindreffor wrote:should indeed be tested, but at home the place is too scarce to test this effectively with a sufficient number of plants

I was talking about the seed potatoes here - many people think the opposite is true.

yes, I had seen the transition from tomato to potato, but I think it is also valid for other types of plants such as those that are transplanted
I transplanted germinated seeds this year, barely developed seedlings, cotyledon stages, and there is no Pb, it gives the advantage of not having to sow too many seeds, good when you do them yourself this does not matter, but when you buy a bag of tomato seeds and you have about 20 in it, you shouldn't miss it too much
0 x
(of me)
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 16/05/21, 16:01

Hello
good continuation and end of the onions transplanted last year under the pressure of Sicetaitsimple : Mrgreen: , only one foot of yellow survived, it does not seem to go to seed, 3 or 4 feet of reds had also overwintered, they all go to seed, I will harvest the seed

the bulbils of yellow onions harvested and planted, emerged very well, to be continued, they had passed the winter well, no breakage of dormancy before planting, the few red onions harvested in bulbils had had an earlier break in dormancy , I had therefore put them in a bucket in the shed, then transplanted already in green, they continue their growth, I watch the possible rise to seeds, I also had some white onion bulbils, planted them very early they emerged and grow I also watch : Mrgreen:

the bulbils of commercial yellow and red onions, planted later, also emerge, shallots and winter garlic (planted in the spring : Mrgreen: ) Are growing,

my oak leaves spontaneous emergence passed in a bucket, are developing well, a little behind the most beautiful emergence not transplanted, but not too much, well these are in the peas it will end up jostling, especially as strawberries come from 'we do not know where to get involved in the thing

I bought apia lettuce to transplant, it's ok, a little slug attack but it should pass, and for once my pumpkins are already in the ground, like the cucumbers, although they are only their first real leaf, it's not long, on the other hand the ground for the zucchini is ready except that I forgot to buy some : Mrgreen:

and finally the potatoes rise quietly, one for now, but the hay rise in other places

I am transplanting the tomatoes, between two showers

It's going slowly, this year there is still no shortage of water, but heat, last year it was the opposite of hot but no water

small mention for the endives, the last 2 seedlings are starting to develop so I will have endives to transplant in the ground, same for the celery, they are starting to make their real first leaves, it will not happen in the vegetable garden for a while, but anyway it hardly grows in summer

eggplants and peppers, are less late than last year, and will suddenly have even less next year : Mrgreen: I will pass my personal tomato seedlings from the seedling tray to the buckets, I hope I can harvest at least something to taste and to have some seed : Mrgreen:

I did a broadcast sowing trial of radishes, salad and beets, the radishes rise

here is for the small tour of the vegetable garden in this mid May
0 x
(of me)
Doris
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Doris » 16/05/21, 19:16

Moindreffor wrote:It's going slowly, this year there is still no shortage of water, but heat, last year it was the opposite of hot but no water

It's the same for me here, apart from two or three heat spikes and once 31 ° north facade, the temperatures are relatively low for the season. My tomato plants are growing, but very slowly, peppers and all that I wait another two or three weeks, before installing them in the vegetable garden. What is pleasant with my vegetable garden now is that I already have a lot of things to harvest and eat every day, while waiting for the summer vegetables I have plenty of things to keep you patient, and this "funny time "is very popular with salads, peas and cabbage.
0 x
"Enter only with your heart, bring nothing from the world.
And don't tell what people say "
Edmond Rostand
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 16/05/21, 20:36

Doris wrote:
Moindreffor wrote:It's going slowly, this year there is still no shortage of water, but heat, last year it was the opposite of hot but no water

It's the same for me here, apart from two or three heat spikes and once 31 ° north facade, the temperatures are relatively low for the season. My tomato plants are growing, but very slowly, peppers and all that I wait another two or three weeks, before installing them in the vegetable garden. What is pleasant with my vegetable garden now is that I already have a lot of things to harvest and eat every day, while waiting for the summer vegetables I have plenty of things to keep you patient, and this "funny time "is very popular with salads, peas and cabbage.

even the peas do not take off, the salads are fine, but with the rain there is slug : Mrgreen:
next year I will set up my temporary frames so as not to have to suffer from this too cool weather in the spring, every year his hard work

I put 30 tomatoes from the 60-hole honeycomb tray, in buckets, they just have to grow quickly : Mrgreen: , well after it's mid-May, last year I didn't even have my cousin's tomato stalks yet and there are already 4 in the ground : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen: , to listen to me I could believe that I am very late : Mrgreen:

It's time for me, I transplant 4 feet downpour, forced rest, and I return to the vegetable garden, re-downpour and so on ...
0 x
(of me)
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 01/06/21, 13:53

a question about my shallots, they are not very developed, but the foliage is already starting to turn yellow and dry, it's really early, especially on such small plants, is it because I planted them too late? because they took a long time to get out of the hay and suddenly they come out too late? next to it, the onions and winter garlic planted in spring are doing very well and are very green
0 x
(of me)