Everything about potatoes for 2021

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Did67

Re: Everything about potatoes for 2021

by Did67 » 11/03/21, 16:44

Moindreffor wrote:at home, the varieties are not varied : Mrgreen: only very very classic, a red onion, a yellow, two varieties of shallots and garlic, and that whatever the place I find the same, very disappointing

At home, there may be a little more ... But we stay in the "classic".

It may be that we are "against" e-commerce, all the things that are a bit special (resistance, long shelf life, etc ... or rootstocks, etc.) I only find them there!
0 x
Julienmos
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Julienmos » 11/03/21, 17:45

Moindreffor wrote: two varieties of shallots

concerning the shallot, a colleague recommended the "Polish" variety to me, do you know?
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 11/03/21, 19:16

There is that: https://www.graines-baumaux.fr/167025-e ... lyska.html

Who is promising !!! [I noted: I have a "pink notebook" for ideas - because at one point we talk about it, or someone tells me about it and 3 months later, unable to remember, to find, etc. .. So the "pink notebook of good ideas to try"!]
1 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 11/03/21, 21:09

Julienmos wrote:
Moindreffor wrote: two varieties of shallots

concerning the shallot, a colleague recommended the "Polish" variety to me, do you know?

I cultivated this variety for a very long time, I was looking for it but not found it, I find red sun it seems to me, now it must be the equivalent
Polish shallot, rather round and pink of good size, very good taste

baumaux says "do not plant until the beginning of April, I understand better that here in the north we did not say before April 15, like what : Mrgreen:
0 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
Did67

by Did67 » 11/03/21, 21:38

Moindreffor wrote:
baumaux says "do not plant until the beginning of April, I understand better that here in the north we did not say before April 15, like what : Mrgreen:

Will I also have to mark myself to do some testing to find out why?

- simple custom ("I was told that ..." - but nobody knows who it is, this "we")
- risk of vernalization and rise in seeds (rather a rare problem in shallots in my case)
- too long dormancy and it does not germinate?
- and in this case, does a "cold treatment" (a month of January in the back of the fridge?) unblock the situation?
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 11/03/21, 21:41

The answer is in the notice of a competitor of Baumaux: https://www.fabre-graines.com/fr/bulbes ... ka_-b.html

"The planting of this shallot is done at the end of March in order to avoid any rise in seeds."

Note: "Quick tip: you can divide large bulbs in half vertically for planting." and also : "Be careful not to bury the shallots too much and let the tip appear on the surface to ensure optimal yield."
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 12/03/21, 10:24

Did67 wrote:
Moindreffor wrote:

Will I also have to mark myself to do some testing to find out why?

- simple custom ("I was told that ..." - but nobody knows who it is, this "we") at home that's what I've always heard and since it was the start shallot, I didn't even know before reading you that we could plant shallots in autumn, let alone in February

- risk of vernalization and rise in seeds (rather a rare problem in shallots in my case) we can have, the formation of stems, since I cut them before full development I do not know what that could give, but in reduced proportion, a few plants out of about sixty

- too long dormancy and it does not germinate? it is a variety of very good conservation, dry at average temperature around 12 ° C, it keeps very very well, and even around May-June it has only just started to germinate

- and in this case, does a "cold treatment" (a month of January in the back of the fridge?) unblock the situation?should try, but for that you have to find it early in the season, which is not always easy
0 x
(of me)
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 12/03/21, 10:27

Did67 wrote:The answer is in the notice of a competitor of Baumaux: https://www.fabre-graines.com/fr/bulbes ... ka_-b.html

"The planting of this shallot is done at the end of March in order to avoid any rise in seeds."

Note: "Quick tip: you can divide large bulbs in half vertically for planting." and also : "Be careful not to bury the shallots too much and let the tip appear on the surface to ensure optimal yield."

Well I answered you before reading this
so we have an answer : Mrgreen: and indeed that makes big bulbs, and without the will I always planted this shallot without pushing it too deep, and as it worked well I never did otherwise : Mrgreen: what luck
0 x
(of me)
Biobomb
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Biobomb » 21/04/21, 23:17

Did67 wrote:
It may be that we are "against" e-commerce, all the things a bit special (rootstocks) it is only there that I find them!

Not very far from Rosheim, however, there is a large nurseryman recognized for his possibilities of choice and his skills throughout the Grand Est and who even offers tailor-made products.
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 22/04/21, 09:53

Did67 wrote:
Moindreffor wrote:at home, the varieties are not varied : Mrgreen: only very very classic, a red onion, a yellow, two varieties of shallots and garlic, and that whatever the place I find the same, very disappointing

At home, there may be a little more ... But we stay in the "classic".

It may be that we are "against" e-commerce, all the things that are a bit special (resistance, long shelf life, etc ... or rootstocks, etc.) I only find them there!

And vlan, another sentence taken out of context !!! But I made the mistake of generalizing a little too much and writing "rootstock", so I deserved it.

But it was about bulbs. That I can't find a few km from Rosheim ... I don't think I find Mioga ginger or other exotic stuff in him that I want to try ... So alas, for "things a bit special ", it remains that it is difficult to escape e-commerce.

My fruit trees, on the other hand, come from Ledermann-Mutschler (not to mention the nurseryman in question). This being the case, it happens that he does not have what I am looking for: he has a few years, assiminiers to give another example (this has perhaps changed?). So that comes back to my thinking ...

But come on, let's scratch ...
0 x