Metal chest

Present your DIY projects, your new technical ideas, your innovations to test or your self-construction work. Because doing it yourself is often more economical and can be more efficient.
GuyGadeboisTheBack
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Metal chest

by GuyGadeboisTheBack » 26/02/21, 20:06

Ahmed wrote:It's just a shortcut ...

Absolutely, especially since without carbon, a steel is only iron. But that, he obviously does not know. In short, he always has to bring her back just to ch ... his world. : Mrgreen:
0 x
ABC2019
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by ABC2019 » 26/02/21, 20:14

GuyGadeboisLeRetour wrote:
Ahmed wrote:It's just a shortcut ...

Absolutely, especially since without carbon, a steel is only iron. But that, he obviously does not know. In short, he always has to bring her back just to ch ... his world. : Mrgreen:

if if I know it very well, except that I also know that when you reduce iron ore with coal, what flows is cast iron, which contains more carbon in solution in iron than steel, so to manufacture steel it is necessary to impoverish the cast iron in carbon (by oxidizing it in steelworks), not to enrich it.
0 x
To pass for an idiot in the eyes of a fool is a gourmet pleasure. (Georges COURTELINE)

Mééé denies nui went to parties with 200 people and was not even sick moiiiiiii (Guignol des bois)
GuyGadeboisTheBack
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by GuyGadeboisTheBack » 26/02/21, 20:20

Thank you, I know, I did a blacksmith internship ... : roll:
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 26/02/21, 20:29

Well, I don't think all of these basic metallurgy operations are in the projects of Marie... :P
It is possible to have recourse to salvaged metal elements (sheet metal, profiles, etc.) if the use of new ones turns out to be unethical or unethical to the beginner's * metalworker's portfolio ... rust or zinc (as the case may be) are rather laborious and very "disgusting" operations; wearing a mask is imperative ...

* It's good for training.
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
gegyx
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by gegyx » 26/02/21, 23:37

I see you have more to say than the initiator who just talked about making a chest (???) ... : Mrgreen:

Clarifying your thoughts will help guide advice better ....
Why a safe? For what purpose and for what use?

A small like a box of cookies, a big one to make a smokehouse?
A solid to make a safe?
A safe to stash, or an aesthetic one to put in your living room?

For scrap, you still need a few tools and have practiced. Usually this is seen on fingers with scars : Cheesy:

Then think about thinking about protection against rust ...

Starting from a salvaged object, and transforming it to shape it according to your idea is more accessible.
It all depends on the planned project.

Perhaps also, that in wood it would be equivalent for its use, and easier to do?

If you are really interested in it, present your ideas well :)
0 x
Marieboubou
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by Marieboubou » 28/02/21, 19:40

I would say take metal plates and weld them in order to have a cube, install steel hinges (galvanized) to reinforce, put a lock etc.
We agree that it is not a guaranteed protection, but to have a little fun on Sundays (with confinement soon lol) and keep busy, it can be a nice activity that will pass the time!
:D
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 28/02/21, 22:42

Do you want to make a safe? : Shock:
A small imprecision noted: you say you want to put hinges to reinforce, but the role of the hinges is to ensure the pivoting of two parts between them, not to reinforce anything ...
You talk about welding, what do you envision at this level?
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."

Return to “Your technical assemblies, DIY, innovations and self-construction: making an object or an installation”