Small vegetable garden 69 on the way to laziness

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
alkaline
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

Re: Small vegetable patch 69 on the way to laziness

by alkaline » 06/01/21, 18:13

Did67 wrote:[Naturally sown by nature. which proves once again if need be that all the "agitations" (all the "it is necessary to do like this, like that, the moon etc) are agitations and far from being essential - not even always effective!

Have you observed like me that it almost always grows better "next to" other vegetables: at home, at the foot of escaroles, blackcurrants ... ????

It is one of the rare vegetables which, for its germination, prefers semi-shade ... In 2019, I sowed "bare" where I had harvested the potatoes. I put, then forgot, a bunch of "beet inflorescence" mounted in seeds ... Under this bunch, there were 3 times more chews!
Yes, I thought about it, because I found a lot of it under cabbage leaves, salads and also under logs.
The anecdote is that at the start I went out to weed the garlic and onions (from a distance they looked overgrown and I wanted to take the air in the garden) but in fact it was all lamb's lettuce suddenly I harvested ... ha ha ha : Lol:
Did67 wrote: In short, just remember not to collect everything, to let the seeds go up and then "shake" the plants all over the place when they dry out and the seeds are ripe ...
Oh yes I note it
0 x
it depends
alkaline
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by alkaline » 13/01/21, 18:13

Am thinking about the vegetable garden 2021 :)
I take stock of what I want to plant, the available space and also the assessment of failures.

I would like to focus on eggplants with a new attempt. Last year I had 6 plants, the seedlings had been successful (very strong, I had even given some) but none gave fruit. So I'm going to try something because in the area I see that it grows in another vegetable garden:
- sow another variety too: blakc beauty + tsakoniki
- make the seedlings warm from mid-January and let them grow well inside. I bought a small heating mat and a lamp.
- and plant them in the warmest place in the garden, but not too early.

I'll do the same for the sweet peppers, 2 varieties this year: Long Landes and Pimientos Padrón (super good fried in tapas but be careful sometimes there is a spiciness in the batch) : Twisted:

And in discovery this year I try the Gombos. Has anyone grown some?
0 x
it depends
Doris
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Doris » 13/01/21, 18:45

Eggplants, peppers and peppers are very cautious, last year I didn't have much because of the cool nights until mid-July (see very very cool nights: 4 ° C in the early morning July 10!). For these cultures it does not suit. In addition my plants were still relatively small when I installed them in the vegetable garden at the end of April, at the same time as the tomatoes, and that too was a mistake. Of the cost this year, sowing warm from January, in the ground not before mid-May, and perhaps like melons under tarpaulin, so that the feet at least remain warm.
1 x
"Enter only with your heart, bring nothing from the world.
And don't tell what people say "
Edmond Rostand
Did67

by Did67 » 13/01/21, 19:18

Alkaline wrote:
I would like to focus on eggplants with a new attempt. Last year I had 6 plants, the seedlings had been successful (very strong, I had even given some) but none gave fruit. So I'm going to try something because in the area I see that it grows in another vegetable garden:
- sow another variety too: blakc beauty + tsakoniki
- make the seedlings warm from mid-January and let them grow well inside. I bought a small heating mat and a lamp.
- and plant them in the warmest place in the garden, but not too early.

I'll do the same for the sweet peppers, 2 varieties this year: Long Landes and Pimientos Padrón (super good fried in tapas but be careful sometimes there is a spiciness in the batch) : Twisted:

And in discovery this year I try the Gombos. Has anyone grown some?

In my house, the eggplant is the most plant that reacts the best to a small splash of urine after implanting outside. They vegetate, do not move, are palotes ... And presto, a squirt, and it starts again!

Okra is a plant of Sahelian origin.

It's funny how some tropical species are gradually making their nests here: sweet potato, okra, ...
0 x
alkaline
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by alkaline » 14/01/21, 14:06

Did67 wrote:Okra is a plant of Sahelian origin.

It's funny how some tropical species are gradually making their nests here: sweet potato, okra, ...
Yes I ate delicious stews when I lived in Tunisia where it is a refined dish and I love it :) but the few that I found here (frozen or special store) were tasteless or stringy, see the 2.
I don't expect miracles but I want to try because we are never safe from a good surprise : Wink: and if I have enough to make just 1 meal for 2 that would be great!
0 x
it depends
Biobomb
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Biobomb » 14/01/21, 22:32

Alkaline wrote:Am thinking about the vegetable garden 2021 :)
I take stock of what I want to plant, the available space and also the assessment of failures.

I would like to focus on eggplants with a new attempt.
sow another variety too: blakc beauty + tsakoniki

Here I plant the eggplants alongside the peppers. For a few years it has been working quite well. Proportion: 10 eggplants for 20 peppers.
But they arrive late in the season, if it's early August that's fine.
Eggplants in a greenhouse don't give anything to me, mites attacks.
Black beauty is a sure bet.
1 x
Doris
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Doris » 15/01/21, 14:25

Sometimes the explanation is very simple: this morning I received okra seeds as gifts with my order of seeds. Well of the cost I will do it this year.
1 x
Edmond Rostand
alkaline
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by alkaline » 15/01/21, 15:10

Doris wrote:

Sometimes the explanation is very simple: this morning I received okra seeds as gifts with my order of seeds. Well of the cost I will do it this year.
Awesome!

So I share what I found:
- Malvaceae family
- 1 foot per m²
- Germination in ten days at a temperature of 20-25 °
- then do not grow below 15 °
- neutral clay, limestone or sandy soils

I will do as for eggplants, sowing at the end of January and warm until May (well I say that but we will adapt according to the weather hey hey)
0 x
it depends
Doris
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Doris » 15/01/21, 15:32

Alkaline wrote:- neutral clay, limestone or sandy

Perfect for me, in addition in recent years my summer climate is more like the Sahel than the Landes climate of yesteryear (it is there that this year I will have a Breton or chti summer). : Mrgreen: , no big deal either, it will then benefit the cabbage and endives)
0 x
Edmond Rostand
Did67

by Did67 » 15/01/21, 18:16

I have the impression that it is perfect for everyone ... Whoever wrote the notice must have forgotten that silty soils exist ...

In fact, in Africa, it is quite similar to a weed, well a nettle for example, which grows everywhere ...

With us, the problem is heat and light!
0 x