lazy gardener in Loire Atlantique

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Lazy Gardener in Loire Atlantique

by Moindreffor » 25/11/20, 14:45

Did67 wrote:Absolutely.

Rather than digging, build chests (I put my foot down, tired, but I'm not "against" at all). I just wish that at the end, it would not be rotten at the beginning! But he would only learn the lessons, using more durable materials ...

it is the nature of research, to try and try again, to retain what is better, to modify what does not work

I would say that Adrien, puts values ​​on things that our convictions our hypotheses said, there he brings the proof, when we read Coleman, we can clearly see the evolution of his thought and his practices and of the time that flow
0 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
Doris
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Doris » 25/11/20, 17:15

Moindreffor wrote:I think that by looking at the development of each vegetable, we must be able to improve our knowledge on the best way to grow them, for years we practiced empirically what worked very well, but as you point out the disorder climate change the game, and as you often say when it works we do not always try to know why and we reproduce while it works this is what Doris calls following the instructions on the package

This year I decided a lot of things at the last moment, observing that unlike ten years ago, some things no longer work, while my soil is more fertile. I have tests in place for carrots, Brussels sprouts, winter lettuce (impossible to find a niche at the end of summer of ten days without heat, so no emergence at the time marked on the package) and head cabbages. Everything was sown too early or too late, and is doing very well at the moment. A doubt persists about the Savoy cabbages, sown "at the right time", so they vegetated all summer despite watering, there they have pretty colors and grow, but I think that around March, that will quickly come into flower, without having made a pretty apple big enough to eat. The stake next year will be that, to have strong little plants at the right time, to play on early sowing or something else, there are plenty of avenues to explore.
0 x
"Enter only with your heart, bring nothing from the world.
And don't tell what people say "
Edmond Rostand
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 25/11/20, 20:43

Doris wrote:
Moindreffor wrote:I think that by looking at the development of each vegetable, we must be able to improve our knowledge on the best way to grow them, for years we practiced empirically what worked very well, but as you point out the disorder climate change the game, and as you often say when it works we do not always try to know why and we reproduce while it works this is what Doris calls following the instructions on the package

This year I decided a lot of things at the last moment, observing that unlike ten years ago, some things no longer work, while my soil is more fertile. I have tests in place for carrots, Brussels sprouts, winter lettuce (impossible to find a niche at the end of summer of ten days without heat, so no emergence at the time marked on the package) and head cabbages. Everything was sown too early or too late, and is doing very well at the moment. A doubt persists about the Savoy cabbages, sown "at the right time", so they vegetated all summer despite the watering, there they have pretty colors and grow, but I think that around March, that will quickly come into flower, without having made a pretty apple big enough to eat. The stake next year will be that, to have strong little plants at the right time, to play on early sowing or something else, there are plenty of avenues to explore.

the small cabbage head not too tight is eaten, do not stay on the photos of the package either, what is in front is as misleading as what is behind : Mrgreen: the little carrot that you demarcate has an extra taste, but very often it is thrown away, a bit like the heron and its snail

Afterwards, for sowing in a too hot period, you must remember that a seed does not need light to germinate, so in the darkness of your cellar it will germinate, once it comes out of the ground there it will be necessary to light, but not an enormous amount either, a little in the morning and a little in the evening, so if we have to forget the field seedlings to be in the right timing, let's forget, it's up to us to reinvent our practices
0 x
(of me)
Doris
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Doris » 25/11/20, 22:40

Moindreffor wrote:Afterwards, for sowing in a too hot period, you must remember that a seed does not need light to germinate, so in the darkness of your cellar it will germinate, once it comes out of the ground there it will be necessary to light, but not an enormous amount either, a little in the morning and a little in the evening, so if we have to forget the field seedlings to be in the right timing, let's forget, it's up to us to reinvent our practices

My only regret here in the Landes: there is no cellar, very, very few people have one. They only have, we have, cellars, where at the end of summer, it is almost as hot as outside.
0 x
Edmond Rostand
Did67

by Did67 » 26/11/20, 09:50

Switch to "silo" mode: bury a washing machine, a trash can or whatever container that rodents will not pass through, drill lots of holes (humidity, ventilation). Put the vegetables (celery, turnips, carrots) in barely damp sand (too dry, it dries out the vegetables; too wet, it rots) ...

One condition: no slick rising !!!

And put a good cover so that nothing comes in from the top!

PS: The washing machine drums are going very very well / To be collected in a "recycling" or a "repair-café" ... It is very close (the drums of the "vertical" machines even have doors! The others , it is necessary to adapt a cover.
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 26/11/20, 12:18

Did67 wrote:Switch to "silo" mode: bury a washing machine, a trash can or whatever container that rodents will not pass through, drill lots of holes (humidity, ventilation). Put the vegetables (celery, turnips, carrots) in barely damp sand (too dry, it dries out the vegetables; too wet, it rots) ...

One condition: no slick rising !!!

And put a good cover so that nothing comes in from the top!

PS: The washing machine drums are going very very well / To be collected in a "recycling" or a "repair-café" ... It is very close (the drums of the "vertical" machines even have doors! The others , it is necessary to adapt a cover.

We are not talking about a silo, but about sowing in a cool place so that it rises when it is 35 ° C outside, but the silo yes indeed to preserve root vegetables there is no better
0 x
(of me)
Did67

by Did67 » 26/11/20, 12:39

Oops. Not reread the quote ...

For those who are patient: cover with a thick cloth kept humid (misting) + ventilation ... It really refreshes (especially if the air is dry). But you have to yeuter to see the first lift and find out.

Note that a floor kept moist and ventilated should be significantly cooler too! A test to do, with two thermal probes ...
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 26/11/20, 13:16

Did67 wrote:Oops. Not reread the quote ...

For those who are patient: cover with a thick cloth kept humid (misting) + ventilation ... It really refreshes (especially if the air is dry). But you have to yeuter to see the first lift and find out.

Note that a floor kept moist and ventilated should be significantly cooler too! A test to do, with two thermal probes ...

yes evaporation takes heat from the ground to be done
but for me, direct sowing is not an option that I look for in any case as little as possible, Doris maybe?
0 x
(of me)
Did67

by Did67 » 26/11/20, 14:11

I envisioned seedling terrines, kept moist by misting, "cool" (as much as possible) before germination, and with a fan turned on ...
0 x
Doris
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Doris » 26/11/20, 17:03

It could do it like that, we should try. I tried with wet sails in September in direct seeding, I had a few lifts, but it was not great. The ground was certainly still very, very warm, and anyway I haven't (yet) had much success with no-till, for several reasons I think. But the same principle applied to seedlings in terrine, it can do it.
0 x
Edmond Rostand