FairPhone 2 battery repair not so obvious! :(

Consumption and sustainable and responsible diet tips daily to reduce energy and water consumption, waste ... Eat: preparations and recipes, find healthy food, seasonal and local conservation information food ...
cleanatom
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

FairPhone 2 battery repair not so obvious! :(

by cleanatom » 23/11/20, 13:57

Hello, I am (again) new to Christophe's excellent site. I see the messages on the Fairphone 2 are a long time ago. Just to report on this topic, I would like to say:
1) the idea of ​​the Dutch designer is absolutely commendable, and disgusted by the "ready to throw" philosophy, I bought 2 Fairphones in 2017. Except that my report in this month of Nov 2020 will hardly be valid, since I live in Brazil and the difficulty of obtaining spare parts is great, downright insurmountable for the batteries.
2) at first they seemed to give good results, although one of the 2 was painful from the start to work on mobile data, all configuration settings identical however.
3) After a few months, some bugs appeared, some keys did not respond to some of the apps, etc. I only once agreed to do the Fairphone update, but not having improved anything, I did not risk making any other updates (having in mind the bitter memory of Micro ... t on PCs with its patch updates on patch which very often created new bugs and incompatibilities). I had once consulted Fairphone customer service through their forum, to note that the response time was long and of random results, I did not insist, putting on the account of a service provided by volunteers, we can not expect too much.
4) after a little over a year, the batteries started to lose a lot of their capacity. In August 2019 I bought a spare battery, taking advantage of the trip of a friend of my daughter to Brazil. Because this battery of the Fairphone is exclusive, it is only found at home. And getting sent by post is very random, the batteries being considered bombs by the Brazilian post (lived in 2010 with a drill battery, a 9 month soap opera ... the salesman representing Bosch finally sent me a second to my daughter who was in Europe at the time, the first having been destroyed in Brazil by the "competent" services). This 2rd new battery turned out to be worse than the other 3, faltering after a few months, dropping to zero in 2/1 hour.
5) in recent months, these Fairphones have become practically unusable, they overheat, the screen turns black during a call and the volume goes to minimum without being able to adjust it, several new bugs, the batteries can only be recharged. by 1 single old charger which gives only 700 mA at its output. Others at 800 mA and a fortiori 1 A and more are "ignored" by these Fairphones in their current state.
6) I am embarrassed to make this negative report on the Fairphone, because the basic idea of ​​the manufacturer is important to counter the waste of planned obsolescence, but it is clear that the batteries are of very poor quality. One can undoubtedly "fight" with such a laptop in Europe where the components are undoubtedly relatively easy to obtain (no personal experience apart from the battery), and where the support for software bugs must be correct, but this is not possible far from Europe. André, alias cleanatom.
2 x
Exnihiloest
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: The industrial obsolescence, history of deception

by Exnihiloest » 23/11/20, 16:35

cleanatom wrote:Hello, I am (again) new to Christophe's excellent site. I see the messages on the Fairphone 2 are a long time ago. Just to report on this topic, I would like to say:
1) the idea of ​​the Dutch designer is absolutely commendable, and disgusted by the "ready to throw" philosophy, I bought 2 Fairphones in 2017. Except that my report in this month of Nov 2020 will hardly be valid, since I live in Brazil and the difficulty of obtaining spare parts is great, downright insurmountable for the batteries.
2) at first they seemed to give good results, although one of the 2 was painful from the start to work on mobile data, all configuration settings identical however.
3) After a few months, some bugs appeared, some keys did not respond to some of the apps, etc. I only once agreed to do the Fairphone update, but not having improved anything, I did not risk making any other updates (having in mind the bitter memory of Micro ... t on PCs with its patch updates on patch which very often created new bugs and incompatibilities). I had once consulted Fairphone customer service through their forum, to note that the response time was long and of random results, I did not insist, putting on the account of a service provided by volunteers, we can not expect too much.
4) after a little over a year, the batteries started to lose a lot of their capacity. In August 2019 I bought a spare battery, taking advantage of the trip of a friend of my daughter to Brazil. Because this battery of the Fairphone is exclusive, it is only found at home. And getting sent by post is very random, the batteries being considered bombs by the Brazilian post (lived in 2010 with a drill battery, a 9 month soap opera ... the salesman representing Bosch finally sent me a second to my daughter who was in Europe at the time, the first having been destroyed in Brazil by the "competent" services). This 2rd new battery turned out to be worse than the other 3, faltering after a few months, dropping to zero in 2/1 hour.
5) in recent months, these Fairphones have become practically unusable, they overheat, the screen turns black during a call and the volume goes to minimum without being able to adjust it, several new bugs, the batteries can only be recharged. by 1 single old charger which gives only 700 mA at its output. Others at 800 mA and a fortiori 1 A and more are "ignored" by these Fairphones in their current state.
6) I am embarrassed to make this negative report on the Fairphone, because the basic idea of ​​the manufacturer is important to counter the waste of planned obsolescence, but it is clear that the batteries are of very poor quality. One can undoubtedly "fight" with such a laptop in Europe where the components are undoubtedly relatively easy to obtain (no personal experience apart from the battery), and where the support for software bugs must be correct, but this is not possible far from Europe. André, alias cleanatom.

It is very informative. This is where we understand that having good intentions is not enough to make a product successful, and we also understand that conventional means can be superior to products from good intentions.
As the principle of planned obsolescence is "I know how to do but I sabotage", it should be up to the politicians to impose certain rules, for example the requirement of the removable batteries, or even to require a standardization. . This would not be asking the impossible of the industrialists but only demanding that they stop behaving like thugs. When it comes to constraining the ordinary citizen, the politician is constantly on the back burner. But when it comes to organizing the economy and moderating the dirty sides of capitalism, either they go wrong or we no longer hear them.
1 x