Hedgehog to save, wintering advice?

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
phil53
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

Hedgehog to save, wintering advice?

by phil53 » 18/11/20, 16:43

I just picked up a semi-urban hedgehog much too small to hibernate. On the internet it is written that you should not give snail because it may parasitize it. It seems exaggerated to me, only he would eat what he finds. Has anyone ever given a little hedgehog a winter?
I don t really want to pass it on to an association, is that stupid?
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Hedgehog to save, wintering advice?

by Moindreffor » 18/11/20, 20:01

phil53 wrote:I just picked up a semi-urban hedgehog much too small to hibernate. On the internet it is written that you should not give snail because it may parasitize it. It seems exaggerated to me, only he would eat what he finds. Has anyone ever given a little hedgehog a winter?
I don t really want to pass it on to an association, is that stupid?

if you don't want to entrust it to a specialized rescue association, you can at least take advice from them, since your hedgehog is not injured, but just maybe too young

at least by providing them with a photo with a mark so that they can estimate the size, and by providing them with the weight of the beast, they will also have the right information to help you the best
1 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
Flytox

by Flytox » 18/11/20, 20:29

In the meantime, to feed him, you can try dog ​​food. Regularly the local hedgehogs came to visit my dogs' bowl.

In fact, it might not be a good idea. These hedgehogs there ..... too often leave their skin there, prickles included, because my "ugly" toutounes have learned on their own to kill them in just a few minutes and play with their "remains" ... : Evil:
Your hedgehog shouldn't make the connection between the smell of kibble and a good free meal .... : Cry:

To try to ward off this genocide, a very simple solution, no more mess! If I spill the croquettes directly on the ground in the grass, the toutounes finish all the croquettes without leaving a single one lying around, .... and no smell of croquette no reckless hedgehog. 8) . Since I have been doing this, the killings have been reduced by at least half. : Wink:

Still not found a solution to train the tots to more complacency. :(
0 x
Reason is the madness of the strongest. The reason for the less strong it is madness.
[Eugène Ionesco]
http://www.editions-harmattan.fr/index. ... te&no=4132
phil53
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by phil53 » 19/11/20, 18:22

Finally I took him to the Nantes veterinary school where he will spend the winter warm.
1 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 19/11/20, 20:50

phil53 wrote:Finally I took him to the Nantes veterinary school where he will spend the winter warm.

excellent decision BRAVO !!!!
0 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)