Can agriculture be self-sufficient in energy?

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Can agriculture be self-sufficient in energy?

by Moindreffor » 15/10/20, 17:06

izentrop wrote:To mycorrhize plants in a planter, the easiest way is to mix a little garden soil with the soil, which is not necessarily so.
mychorises is mainly to get nutrients and water several meters from the base of the plant so useless in a planter
Moindreffor wrote:a hole at the bottom of the garden, it's free ...
Attention, risk of pollution if the composting is done in anaerobic manner. Better to compost within the standards it was just a joke between the price of toilets on the ISS and those before, to be ironic that it is possible to cultivate anywhere
Moindreffor wrote:why do farmers have their machines driven by a GPS, instead of driving them themselves? because we are in a race for comfort
: roll: It is mainly used to improve the precision of work, saving inputs, labor, basically staying competitive in the face of globalization.
This is part of the robotic evolutions that the West needs if we want to reverse the vicious and unsustainable system of relocations.

So that's the theory of sellers, and builders, I'll give you the farmer's version, that of the land, at the foot of the field
0 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 15/10/20, 21:19

Moindreffor wrote:
izentrop wrote:It is mainly used to improve the precision of work, saving inputs, labor, basically staying competitive in the face of globalization.
This is part of the robotic evolutions that the West needs if we want to reverse the vicious and unsustainable system of relocations.

So that's the theory of sellers, and builders, I'll give you the farmer's version, that of the land, at the foot of the field

I think you are wrong ... I know that you are very selective on Youtube channels, but do you know that of "Thierry, farmer of today".
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKpXbg ... NLx4w1EYKw
He's a guy not far from where you live (North Dpt I think), who makes vegetables and cereals, organic or not depending on his plots. It also has an ancillary activity of "guarding" horses belonging to individuals.
Personally, I have learned a lot from watching his videos, where he shares his daily successes, failures, tries and technique.
There is no doubt that GPS for tractor control is really a breakthrough.
Of course, we can do without .....
0 x
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Forhorse » 15/10/20, 21:45

I confirm, the GPS allows significant gains by avoiding recoveries (waste) lack (loss of yield) on seeds, fertilizers, phyto treatments ... It is humanly impossible to stay focused 8-10 hours a day to stay precise at 5cm when driving in the open field. In "manual" driving, the error quickly accumulates over the passages and for activities such as sowing which then condition all the other activities of the year (past treatment) precision is essential. Not for nothing that some farmers invest in autoguiding especially by this work and that even some go so far as to pay an additional subscription which unlocks a higher level of precision just for the time of sowing ... additional comfort, in use it changes absolutely nothing, it's just that 5cm better on hundreds of passages of a seeder, it ends up making hectares and the final gain largely pays the price of the subscription ( well the years not too rotten ...)
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 16/10/20, 00:13

Yes, not just comfort, there are even free versions https://www.lafranceagricole.fr/tracteu ... 41611.html
The use of an agricultural GPS has a number of advantages for improving the yield of the plots and reducing the arduousness of the work because it allows in particular to:
  • limit overlaps and gaps by optimizing the journey on the plot
  • continue working despite poor or no visibility conditions (dust, fog, night, etc.)
  • optimize seeding and spreading of fertilizers and treatments
  • avoid as much as possible difficult maneuvers at the end of the row by automating them
  • precisely control the work done
  • avoid painful and repetitive tasks to focus on the productivity of the plots
https://wikiagri.fr/articles/gps-agrico ... isir/19488
Moindreffor wrote:izentrop wrote:
To mycorrhize plants in a planter, the easiest way is to mix a little garden soil with the soil, which is not necessarily so.
mychorises is mainly to get nutrients and water several meters from the base of the plant so useless in a planter
It is also advantageous for potted plants
The main benefits of mycorrhizae include:
  • Better assimilation of nutrients (including phosphorus, copper, zinc and manganese)
  • Increased resistance to transplant stresses, deficiencies, root rot and drought
  • Optimal recovery and growth after transplantation
  • Increase in plant vigor, flowering and fruit and vegetable production
https://www.pthorticulture.com/fr/zone- ... orhiziens/
There are loads of commercial solutions proposed for "city gardeners", I may be wrong, but we can do without by inoculating with a little living soil, in the city it is often less simple.
It is therefore interesting to bring mycorrhizae to plants:
  • in degraded environments: town gardens (where the soil often contains little or no humus), soils that are poor or disturbed by human activity,
  • within the framework of a culture in pot or in tank (the compost, generally sterilized, does not contain fungi),
  • in the case of planting or transplanting in the garden, especially if these are done in potting soil,
  • for plants already installed showing growth retardation, or for old trees or shrubs needing a little "boost",
  • and also, for professionals: in soil-less culture, in greenhouse culture in controlled soil (sterilized), for trees and shrubs in containers ...
https://www.gerbeaud.com/jardin/jardina ... ,1333.html
0 x
Paul72
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Paul72 » 16/10/20, 13:54

Moreover, mycorrhizae are also made in an inert substrate (rock wool or expanded clay) to improve the assimilation of nutrients and the resistance of plants. I'm sure those who cultivate in their closet are up to speed on this. : Mrgreen:
0 x
I'm allergic to idiots: sometimes I even get a cough.
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 16/10/20, 14:45

sicetaitsimple wrote:
Moindreffor wrote:
izentrop wrote:It is mainly used to improve the precision of work, saving inputs, labor, basically staying competitive in the face of globalization.

I think you are wrong ... I know that you are very selective on Youtube channels, but do you know that of "Thierry, farmer of today".
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKpXbg ... NLx4w1EYKw
He's a guy not far from where you live (North Dpt I think), who makes vegetables and cereals, organic or not depending on his plots. It also has an ancillary activity of "guarding" horses belonging to individuals.
Personally, I have learned a lot from watching his videos, where he shares his daily successes, failures, tries and technique.
There is no doubt that GPS for tractor control is really a breakthrough.
Of course, we can do without .....

I'm talking about my farmer friend who took it as an option for comfort, he didn't take the turn option at the end of the field, "€ 20 I can do that all the same" is a real experience Personally, nothing more
0 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 22/10/20, 02:04

Like what the Mycorrhization is also valid in pot
0 x
thibr
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by thibr » 16/11/20, 11:34

Festival Projection Transition 2020 - Debate: Intensive agriculture, a death trap?

Festival Projection Transition, 2020 edition
Debate: Intensive agriculture, a death trap?

The debate following the screening of the film “In the name of the Earth” by Edouard Bergeon.

Pitch

When the search for productivity leads to social drama.
The post-war American economic model made farmers seek ever-increasing productivity. The following generations, not having been able to extricate themselves from this model, have put their finger in a disastrous gear which has not only led to a decline in the quality of products but also in their living conditions.
The low carbon transition of the agricultural sector cannot be done without a social transition. It is therefore necessary to support farmers and, above all, enable them to become actors in this transformation.
How can we produce better today, so that our land is still usable tomorrow?
0 x