Food mess worldwide on France Culture

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Christophe

Re: Food mess worldwide on France Culture

by Christophe » 12/11/20, 11:00

0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 12/11/20, 13:19

the more expensive it is sold the less you buy therefore the more there are unsold items and therefore to market the supermarkets increase the prices so you buy even less and so on

if we want to eliminate the food waste, we must focus on small businesses and shun large surfaces, but our leaders are currently doing the opposite
0 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
Christophe

by Christophe » 12/11/20, 13:31

The small shopkeeper also has DLC to keep ... I don't see how that would change ... Except that the small shopkeeper can eat his expired ones himself ...

In supermarkets, some employees have already been sanctioned or condemned by a miserable justice for having recovered or worse given unsold expired food. It's to vomit ... no pun intended!

But that is changing, I believe that more and more stores have partnerships with associations
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 12/11/20, 14:00

Christophe wrote:The small shopkeeper also has DLC to keep ... I don't see how that would change ... Except that the small shopkeeper can eat his expired ones himself ...

In supermarkets, some employees have already been sanctioned or condemned by a miserable justice for having recovered or worse given unsold expired food. It's to vomit ... no pun intended!

But that is changing, I believe that more and more stores have partnerships with associations

small trade, they manage their stocks better, otherwise their figure is soaring, large retailers can afford to throw away because they profit a lot more and easily catch up with other products, hence certain differences in price between amazons and supermarkets, there are no miracles, what is lost here, is paid for there
0 x
(of me)
Rajqawee
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Rajqawee » 13/11/20, 10:24

Moindreffor wrote:
Christophe wrote:The small shopkeeper also has DLC to keep ... I don't see how that would change ... Except that the small shopkeeper can eat his expired ones himself ...

small trade, they manage their stocks better, otherwise their figure is soaring, large retailers can afford to throw away because they profit a lot more and easily catch up with other products, hence certain differences in price between amazons and supermarkets, there are no miracles, what is lost here, is paid for there

Not always. It depends on the small business! My neighborhood grocer has a lot of losses, but he recognizes it himself (we are good friends), if he does not offer certain products his customers criticize him (like lettuce).

Thus, I think that there is above all the change, in the pedagogy: if you had everything, all the time at home, you would also have a significant waste. It's the same in the shops.
We must therefore learn to live with a commercial proposition that may not be the same all the time, something that people have completely forgotten by having access to GS where the shelves are almost always filled with the same products.

Christophe, I have an acquaintance who works at Leclerc, and they have trouble "giving" away their unsold goods. Already for the DLC, but also for volume issues. Sometimes, the association in question already has too much pasta, and is therefore not interested in an additional 100kg (example).

If consumers were a little more flexible about the composition of the shelving, there would be much less loss.
0 x
ENERC
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by ENERC » 13/11/20, 11:07

It's the same when you have a garden. I put tens of kg of apples and pears in the composter after filling the freezer, all the available jars of jam and the storage spaces.
When we want to be resilient, we have to plan to produce more to be sure we have enough. This is what we do in the garden: we foresee slugs, aphids, worms, ... and sometimes it produces normally and we throw away because we cannot eat everything and it rots on the foot. It is the same for salads which rise in the first heat.

Overproducing is not a problem as long as you use the excess to fertilize the soil. Obviously, it is necessary to regulate upstream so as not to use unnecessary packaging and km by truck.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 13/11/20, 12:09

Rajqawee wrote:Not always. It depends on the small business! My neighborhood grocer has a lot of losses, but he recognizes it himself (we are good friends), if he does not offer certain products his customers criticize him (like lettuce).

Right, I remember a report from a few years ago where a container bin was filled with unsold bread ... bleached so they wouldn't be "stolen" ...!
And it was not the large distribution but a baker ... artisan small trade therefore ... But the law has changed since, fortunately!

I know one who sells his pastries from the day before -70% ...

Rajqawee wrote:Christophe, I have an acquaintance who works at Leclerc, and they have trouble "giving" away their unsold goods. Already for the DLC, but also for volume issues. Sometimes, the association in question already has too much pasta, and is therefore not interested in an additional 100kg (example).

The DLC have a comfortable margin of acceptability because the DLC is fixed under the worst storage conditions ...

Yoghurt kept in a cool place can be eaten ... 6 months after its DLC without worries! I eat it regularly ...

Rajqawee wrote:If consumers were a little more flexible about the composition of the shelving, there would be much less loss.

Well that ... some are also very stupid ... not to eat any product a few days BEFORE the DLC ...
0 x
Rajqawee
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Rajqawee » 13/11/20, 13:27

Yes, but associations do not necessarily want to manage the responsibility of donating products whose DLC is outdated.

I wasn't specifically talking about DLC for consumers, but rather the variety in the fresh products offered in a GS: if a GS "must" invariably offer: ham, pork ribs, grilled beef, 67 yogurts and 43 different cheeses, inevitably, not all will be sold.

The problem is rather therefore in my opinion that a consumer does not find it normal that a business does not have a product permanently (like, prime rib).
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 13/11/20, 14:41

Rajqawee wrote:Thus, I think that there is above all the change, in the pedagogy: if you had everything, all the time at home, you would also have a significant waste. It's the same in the shops.
We must therefore learn to live with a commercial proposition that may not be the same all the time, something that people have completely forgotten by having access to GS where the shelves are almost always filled with the same products.

this is where the problem is
we must stop making people feel guilty, constantly infantilize them, and work intelligently
instead of campaigning against food waste we should double the campaigns to eat it in season
and what also pisses me off is that even organic is not reasonable, because it too offers us organic products out of season or from around the world, so organic, yes but not commercial organic

cherries in December, yes! but cherries in syrup
0 x
(of me)
Christophe

by Christophe » 27/04/22, 11:48

Big pigs...which grease themselves like big sows...especially with oil! I've seen rapeseed oil at €6 and olives at €10 a bottle...but screw yourself...

0 x