Small fruit and vegetable dryer

Solar thermal energy in all its forms: solar heating, hot water, choosing a solar collector, solar concentration, ovens and solar cookers, solar energy storage by heat buffer, solar pool, air conditioning and solar cold ..
Aid, counseling, fixtures and examples of achievements ...
Grelinette
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Small fruit and vegetable dryer

by Grelinette » 25/11/17, 18:46

Hello,

A new project under study: a small fruit and vegetable dryer.

Around my house there are many gardeners who come to get some dung from my horses for their vegetable garden, and in exchange they offer me some fruits and vegetables of their production.

Recently gardeners gave me some dried fruits and vegetables: tomatoes, apples, persimmon, plums, etc.
Some have manufactured solar dryers (there are several topics on econology on this theme), others use electric dryers market: the result gives dried fruits and vegetables succulent. :P
Some do experiments and give me fruit without telling me what it is so I guess ... (For example I was convinced that thin slices of dried persimmons were apples!).

Like many of you I get warm with a wood stove that runs almost 20 h per day and I wondered if I could tinker with a small dryer that I would simply put on the stove with fruits and vegetables cut in fine slices.

I thought of a tin box type of biscuits (23 dim x cm x 23 cm x 12 cm) in which I fixed small shelves grid. The box would be pierced with small holes to allow air to circulate to dry food cut into thin slats on the shelves. (Maybe simple grids placed in shelves without boxes around would suffice).

The production will not be industrial, but it will make interesting culinary experiences!
Fruit dryer with metal box.jpg
Fruit Dryer with Metal Box.jpg (87.13 KIO) Viewed 13179 times

A priori, it seems simple, cheap and quick to do. What do you think ?

Do you have ideas and tips for making this small dryer to hang on the stove (or on a boiler or radiator). (and in addition it will scent the house with a sweet smell of fruits or vegetables! : Cheesy: )
0 x
Project of the horse-drawn-hybrid - The project econology
"The search for progress does not exclude the love of tradition"
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Small fruit and vegetable dryer

by Ahmed » 25/11/17, 19:41

Fruit drying is an excellent method of preservation and it is therefore a good idea to have this dryer.
In my opinion, holes in the cover are enough, those on the side walls are useless, even harmful, because opposing the chimney effect. The box would also gain in effectiveness if its base was shaped like a funnel (pyramidal trunk *), in order to capture a larger flow of hot air and accelerate it around the fruit to dry.

* For simplicity of realization, the 2 short sides can lie in the vertical extension of the rest, while the 2 facades are flared at their base. Cherry (dehydrated!) On the cake, it increases the stability of the dryer and, possibly, its height ...
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Lolounette
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by Lolounette » 25/11/17, 21:13

after I do not know what temperature is the air above your stove?
because the objective is to dry and not to cook, in a dryer normally the temperature does not rise to more than 45º to preserve the vitamins and the rest ...
0 x
Grelinette
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Grelinette » 18/12/18, 19:01

Here is a very simple dryer to do and the result with tomatoes seems excellent! ...
0 x
Project of the horse-drawn-hybrid - The project econology
"The search for progress does not exclude the love of tradition"
marionz
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by marionz » 13/07/20, 19:10

Hello !

Bravo for this great model of small solar dryer :)
I want to share with you a super website on which I was offered an internship to make my own solar dryer, in 1 day.
https://www.les-sens-du-bois-ebenisterie.com/sechoirs-solaires
Really great, I recommend it 100% !!!!

MZ
0 x