Are "forest gardens" the future of our vegetable gardens?

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Are "forest gardens" the future of our vegetable gardens?

by Ahmed » 11/07/20, 21:42

Thank you for these sources. I was unaware of this detail and I had never established a link between Gilles Lemieux et Jean Pain. I met the professor several times briefly The best during stays in France, but I had noted that the BRF was born from the observation of branches (or residues of) on which strawberry plants grew, observation from which will follow a research process at the University of Laval. .
I also knew well Etienne Bonvallet who continued, on new foundations, the ideas of Jean Pain, died at that time.
I also experimented with the composting way "Jean Pain", modified Bonvallet and it was both very greedy in water and not easy to humidify ... that said, the result remains interesting, but it is definitely not for a lazy person.
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 11/07/20, 23:10

Ahmed wrote:Thank you for these sources. I was unaware of this detail and I had never established a link between Gilles Lemieux et Jean Pain. I met the professor several times briefly The best during stays in France, but I had noted that the BRF was born from the observation of branches (or residues of) on which strawberry plants grew, observation from which will follow a research process at the University of Laval. .
I also knew well Etienne Bonvallet who continued, on new foundations, the ideas of Jean Pain, died at that time.
I also experimented with the composting way "Jean Pain", modified Bonvallet and it was both very greedy in water and not easy to humidify ... that said, the result remains interesting, but it is definitely not for a lazy person.

Ah OK.
Yes Lemieux popularized and perfected the Jean Pain system which unfortunately died too early.
Too bad because it was really a great precursor.
He has these fucking eggplant I don't know where they come from but I have never seen such.
Perhaps it was just a variety of the time or it was its mode of cultivation in all cases of sacred plants over 1m high ...

No doubt it would have evolved if he had lived, but others have taken care of it for him successfully.

I do not know if Lemieux in his works refers to this visit, no doubt essential, at least to see the effectiveness of the principle of brush compost

After that it was on work.
Hay is better Image
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 12/07/20, 01:39

Ahmed wrote: I have never noticed any major problems because I respect the dates of employment of the real BRF and I do not incorporate it.
By incorporating it less than 10 cm deep, there is more interaction between the BRF (which stays wet in winter) and the aerobic part of the soil.
On the surface, the interaction is only partial and it therefore takes longer for humus to form, that is logical.

This is how he was able to quantify his results on Walloon soil. https://jardinierdumonde.be/download/fi ... 1594509473
On other soils and in other climates, the time of aggradation and the intensity of nitrogen hunger is necessarily different.
it also proved that surface composting, less than 10 cm, gave about twice as much humus as a Jean Pain type compost, while boosting the life of the soil
What Konrad and Mulet had also noted.
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 12/07/20, 09:21

@ Izy: yes, I agree, but on the one hand I am in no rush * 8) and on the other hand I am attached to the aspect "covered ground" ...

* As I have been practicing for a long time, I am not in an emergency situation.

@ Adrien: the system Jean Pain, in its current version presents the theoretical interest of accommodating all the tree species and all the dimensions, which multiplies the resources. Indeed, pre-composting breaks the polymer chains which are much shorter in the young BRF wood and, in the latter case directly accessible to saprophytic fungi.

I think that the question of the BRF resource must be assessed in relation to the current practice of landfill composting, whereby the material is drastically reduced in volume as well as in quality.
0 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 12/07/20, 10:49

Ahmed wrote:@ Izy: yes, I agree, but on the one hand I am in no rush * 8) and on the other hand I am attached to the aspect "covered ground" ...

* As I have been practicing for a long time, I am not in an emergency situation.

@ Adrien: the system Jean Pain, in its current version presents the theoretical interest of accommodating all the tree species and all the dimensions, which multiplies the resources. Indeed, pre-composting breaks the polymer chains which are much shorter in the young BRF wood and, in the latter case directly accessible to saprophytic fungi.

I think that the question of the BRF resource must be assessed in relation to the current practice of landfill composting, whereby the material is drastically reduced in volume as well as in quality.

OK, I get it.

Well at the time it was necessary to fire all the woods if I can say.

One day if I go to the trash 'and there is the pile of wood I will take a photo ....

But suddenly I wonder if they do not compost it on the spot ... for nothing.
I know that the manager had told me that I could serve myself as I wanted but it was pretty rude and I was a little reluctant ... and then you have to do everything with a spade.

But who knows to colonize new surfaces ...
When do you drop it off?
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 12/07/20, 12:20

In the fall for the BRF (obviously) and throughout the season for the fine and leafy wood ...

It would be nice to have a photo, I find it hard to understand what it really is: logically the dumpsters of the recycling centers go to a composting platform ...

PS: I said that I did not incorporate the BRF, but it often ends up being a little incorporated, as for example during the potato harvest, even if there is not really any need to turn everything over. ..
0 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 12/07/20, 15:12

Ahmed wrote:In the fall for the BRF (obviously) and throughout the season for the fine and leafy wood ...

It would be nice to have a photo, I find it hard to understand what it really is: logically the dumpsters of the recycling centers go to a composting platform ...

PS: I said that I did not incorporate the BRF, but it often ends up being a little incorporated, as for example during the potato harvest, even if there is not really any need to turn everything over. ..

Ok as soon as i go back i take the pictures
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 13/07/20, 01:01

Adrien (ex-nico239) wrote:But suddenly I wonder if they do not compost it on the spot ... for nothing.
I know that the manager had told me that I could serve myself as I wanted but it was pretty rude and I was a little reluctant ... and then you have to do everything with a spade.
It's documented http://www.lombric.com/traiter-recycler ... compostage, they do this to reduce volumes.

Each time I go to the recycling center with my small trailer of half a cubic meter, I fill it with a snow shovel. When they make it available after analysis, the compost is often dry and light, it goes quickly.
It is true that it is quite rude. I have a rather hydromorphic earth, real concrete. It becomes more and more loose since I incorporated on the surface, this kind of compost and the one I make with the ground material that I make. You can't call it BRF, there are quite a few dead branches too.
A coarse grelinette every 30 cm, a croc to break the large clods and remove the roots of nettle, quackgrass, bindweed and less and less creeping buttercups.
This year, I did this in the spring by incorporating 6 l of urine per square meter at the same time. I did not notice any hunger for nitrogen.
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 14/07/20, 15:56

Hello to
A comparative study of three types of agriculture, three different methods of fertilization from 1981 to 2002: https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... mic_issues

- Conventional with synthetic fertilizers
- Organic with animal manure
- Organic with vegetable fertilization with green manures, legumes
result:

The continuation here
For almost 40 years, we have collected data measuring differences in soil health, crop yields, energy efficiency, water use and contamination, and the nutrient density of crops grown in biological and conventional systems managed with different levels of tillage. https://rodaleinstitute.org/science/far ... tems-trial
Last edited by izentrop the 14 / 07 / 20, 16: 07, 1 edited once.
0 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 14/07/20, 16:04

izentrop wrote:Hello to
A comparative study of three types of agriculture, three different methods of fertilization from 1981 to 2002: https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... mic_issues

- Conventional with synthetic fertilizers
- Organic with animal manure
- Organic with vegetable fertilization with green manures, legumes

Your graph illustrates what?
0 x