Heat exchanger: titanium or stainless steel? Or other... ?

Organize and arrange your garden and vegetable garden: ornamental, landscape, wild garden, materials, fruits and vegetables, vegetable garden, natural fertilizers, shelters, pools or natural swimming pool. lifetime plants and crops in your garden.
epfyffer
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

Heat exchanger: titanium or stainless steel? Or other... ?

by epfyffer » 09/04/20, 08:11

Hello,

In my project to heat my pool with a heat exchanger heated by my solar collectors, I recovered a heat exchanger which was used for a 40m3 pool, without mark, and for a bite of bread.

I have since read that salt water (disinfection of water by electrolysis) can destroy an exchanger if it is not made of titanium.

Having no info on the product, how do you know what it is made of? I tested with a magnet, the outside is not very reactive to the magnet, while the tubes inside are super glued to the magnet ... No more info than that for the 'instant.

My questions :
1. how to determine the metal in question?
2. if I mount this system on my installation with hydrolysis, what will actually happen?

Thank you
0 x
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

Re: Heat exchanger: titanium or stainless steel? Or other... ?

by epfyffer » 09/04/20, 08:47

20200409_075951.jpg

20200409_080030.jpg

Here are the images of the exchanger.
0 x

http://www.pouleto.ch/solaire

Our small contribution to a greener world ...
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 09/04/20, 11:13

Otherwise you disinfect with ozone, there does not seem to be electrolysis https://piscineinfoservice.com/equipeme ... -ozonateur.
What do you all have with swimming pools right now, water is the crucial problem of the future, but why not use it as a rainwater tank. : Wink:
0 x
Flytox

by Flytox » 09/04/20, 11:59

epfyffer wrote:Hello,

In my project to heat my pool with a heat exchanger heated by my solar collectors, I recovered a heat exchanger which was used for a 40m3 pool, without mark, and for a bite of bread.

I have since read that salt water (disinfection of water by electrolysis) can destroy an exchanger if it is not made of titanium.

Having no info on the product, how do you know what it is made of? I tested with a magnet, the outside is not very reactive to the magnet, while the tubes inside are super glued to the magnet ... No more info than that for the 'instant.

My questions :
1. how to determine the metal in question?
2. if I mount this system on my installation with hydrolysis, what will actually happen?

Thank you

Titanium is perfectly suitable for an exchanger, but it is not magnetic, so everything that sticks to the magnet must be made of steel (or nickel if you are very rich : Mrgreen: ).
The photo seems to show a mixture of plastic (vertical fittings), steel (horizontal inlet and outlet fittings) and may be stainless steel in the interior pipes.
When you have water which contains salt among other things, it is very prone to corrosion especially if there is a mixture of metals in the installation.

https://fixation.emile-maurin.fr/custom ... ldoc12.pdf

corrosion-galvanic-infra-ldoc12.pdf
(45.62 KB) Downloaded times 876

The problem with electrolytes is that corrosion ends up piercing the pipes (possibly very quickly depending on the conditions).
Finally you may not do a saltwater pool, but as a general rule the less you mix the metals the less you get bored. The "all" plastic (except the exchanger), avoids many problems.
0 x
Reason is the madness of the strongest. The reason for the less strong it is madness.
[Eugène Ionesco]
http://www.editions-harmattan.fr/index. ... te&no=4132
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 09/04/20, 12:33

Stainless steel can be magnetic or not, depending on its composition ...
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Christophe

by Christophe » 09/04/20, 12:48

Yes, chlorine "eats" stainless steel.

Salt electrolysis, often sold as "green" is only a continuous chlorine regeneration. Not very healthy or environmentally friendly therefore ... the advantage is that we handle salt instead of Chlorine ... It's already won!

Obviously, your heat exchanger is not made of titanium: the titanium parts are much duller (less shiny) and tend towards a "brownish" color ...

Here are titanium parts:

piece_titanium.jpg
piece_titane.jpg (53.84 KB) Viewed 8726 times

195314.jpg
195314.jpg (250.14 KB) Viewed times 8726
0 x
GuyGadebois
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by GuyGadebois » 09/04/20, 12:52

It seems to me that stainless steel 316 is resistant to chlorides.
0 x
“It is better to mobilize your intelligence on bullshit than to mobilize your bullshit on intelligent things. (J.Rouxel)
"By definition the cause is the product of the effect". (Tryphion)
"360 / 000 / 0,5 is 100 million and not 72 million" (AVC)
Christophe

by Christophe » 09/04/20, 13:05

Given the low quality of construction of this exchanger (which uses galvanized parts in particular), do not rely too much on the use of "thoughtful" and undoubtedly expensive material ... I could be wrong ...

After it may be 10 years to pierce 1 mm of stainless steel with the concentration of chlorine found in a swimming pool ...

So good ... a bite of bread for 10 years, the math is quick! : Cheesy:
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 09/04/20, 14:11

Christophe wrote:Given the low quality of construction of this exchanger (which uses galvanized parts in particular), do not rely too much on the use of "thoughtful" and undoubtedly expensive material ... I could be wrong ...

Not sure that the "galva" elbows are original with the exchanger. Maybe from the previous installation.

In addition, I think they are on the closed circuit "glycol water", no problem.
0 x
epfyffer
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by epfyffer » 09/04/20, 14:21

Thank you for your feedback,

Indeed, the galva is on the solar circuit and the plastic sleeves are used for the swimming pool circuit.

I wonder what the part that is painted in blue is made of ... it is non-magnetic, only the solder and the ends between the solder and the galvanized fittings react to the magnet. The interior (the glycol circuit), which must be made of stainless steel, sticks completely to the magnet.

We have a swimming pool filled with irrigation water, at my place it is non-potable water recovered from torrents and used for watering.

Salt water is especially pleasant when you bathe in it, that's why we chose this system. Also to avoid stinking chlorine tablets ...

If I decide to mount my exchanger all the same, it would still hold 1 or 2 seasons or it pierces in 2 months?
0 x

http://www.pouleto.ch/solaire

Our small contribution to a greener world ...

Back to "Garden: landscaping, plants, garden, ponds and pools"