Lumni College lessons: beware of math lessons on TV!

General scientific debates. Presentations of new technologies (not directly related to renewable energies or biofuels or other themes developed in other sub-sectors) forums).
Christophe

Lumni College lessons: beware of math lessons on TV!

by Christophe » 03/04/20, 15:42

I just zapped on it, a geometry problem ... and sorry I came across an example of mediocrity again!

path.jpg
chemin.jpg (471.98 KiB) Viewed 3847 times

The hypotheses are in the text, the 2 "teachers" conclude after 10 minutes of LONG VERY LONG EXPLANATION that there are only 3 points of solution (white arrows)!

WHEREAS the simple solution is simply to walk every 2 towards each other ... don't bother to trace anything: the shortest path is the straightest! If the 2 walk at the same speed then they will have traveled the same route ... But the concept of speed was not induced in the reasoning ...

In short their conclusion of the 3 points is completely false since there are infinitely many points to solve the problem: all those located on the BLUE line !! Not to mention the fact that the white arrow on the right was badly drawn: it must have pointed to the pink cross ...

If millennia are formed with these methods, we understand that it is going into a spin! : Shock:

Remundo, you who is a teacher, what do you think? : Shock:
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Lumni College lessons: beware of math lessons on TV!

by Ahmed » 03/04/20, 16:19

Mathematics is by definition abstract and to make them more sympathetic, pedagogy strives to pose problems under very concrete appearances, with the result of making the utterance completely absurd (since these problems never arise in these terms) ... It also means that the results are just as absurd when they are not correctly transcribed into reality. Thus, to say that on average there are 0,6 movements of aircraft at Auxerre-Branches aerodrome is correct, but hardly speaks (there are only landings or take-offs, not fractions of these actions ) ...
This is not without consequence in the long term on our apprehension of reality, thus a formalism develops which moves away from a healthy vision of things. For example, democracy (which is an ideal) appears as a simple evidence as soon as the regulatory formalities are respected. Formal equality of rights is an illusion insofar as, theoretically, there is nothing to prevent any oppressed person from turning into an oppressor ...
So, the shape and the background are constantly merging ...
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Christophe

by Christophe » 03/04/20, 16:25

Ahmed wrote:since these problems never arise in these terms ...

Is that so? Have you never run towards your sweetheart in a spring meadow with honeyed music? ? : Mrgreen:

I think we see that in the credits of the little house on the prairie ... Ah damn it is also TV!
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 03/04/20, 16:30

If in the situation that you are kind enough to remind me (it does not rejuvenate me!) I took care to formulate it as in your example, I would never have joined it ... :!:
Last edited by Ahmed the 03 / 04 / 20, 16: 49, 1 edited once.
1 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 03/04/20, 16:32

Ah ah ah! Mdr Ahmed!

Stop: you're going to taste the youngest maths !!
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 03/04/20, 16:40

They just need to understand that math is useful in some cases and harmful (or at least inadequate) in others ...
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 03/04/20, 16:50

Ahmed wrote:They just need to understand that math is useful in some cases and harmful (or at least inadequate) in others ...

I was going to say "reassure you", but that's really not the right term ...
I do voluntary tutoring in a neighborhood house, they are not for the vast majority wondering if it is useful .... Harmful for them, today, perhaps, it makes them so shit compared to Google ......
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 03/04/20, 16:53

Yes, that does not "reassure" me indeed. The annoying thing is that it may not be limited to math ...
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 03/04/20, 17:02

Ahmed wrote: The most annoying thing is that it may not be limited to math ...

Unfortunately no. Well, those I try to help are not necessarily among the most privileged classes ... But it is often depressing.
0 x

Back to "Science and Technology"