We escaped beautiful, finally, my wife especially!

Heating, insulation, ventilation, VMC, cooling ... short thermal comfort. Insulation, wood energy, heat pumps but also electricity, gas or oil, VMC ... Help in choosing and implementation, problem solving, optimization, tips and tricks ...
GuyGadebois
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

We escaped beautiful, finally, my wife especially!

by GuyGadebois » 23/03/20, 17:53

My wife had just loaded the stove with nut shells to have some logs taken. It was then that the gas and smoke accumulated in it caught fire, well no, literally exploded in a deafening noise! The door opened on pressure, deforming the lock that closed it. If the latter had been made of hardened steel instead of mild steel, I dare not imagine the result. She was standing right in front. Fortunately, the glass did not break, it would have been minced ...
Like what, heating with wood is not without dangers!
0 x
“It is better to mobilize your intelligence on bullshit than to mobilize your bullshit on intelligent things. (J.Rouxel)
"By definition the cause is the product of the effect". (Tryphion)
"360 / 000 / 0,5 is 100 million and not 72 million" (AVC)
Christophe

Re: We escaped beautiful, finally, my wife especially!

by Christophe » 23/03/20, 18:24

This often happens to me when I load cardboard boxes or paper with my stove already hot ... explosion ... after x minutes ... it's not systematic but I must have ten a year ...

Mine is a classic model very heavy cast iron (140 kg jcrois) therefore impossible to open the door ...
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 23/03/20, 18:25

0 x
Janic
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Janic » 23/03/20, 18:33

Like what, heating with wood is not without dangers!
do not let children play with fire! : Cheesy: : Cheesy:
0 x
"We make science with facts, like making a house with stones: but an accumulation of facts is no more a science than a pile of stones is a house" Henri Poincaré
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 23/03/20, 18:34

GuyGadebois wrote:My wife had just loaded the stove with nut shells to have some logs taken. It was then that the gas and smoke accumulated in it caught fire, well no, literally exploded ....

Christophe just mentioned it, but that's the question I wanted to ask: was the stove still hot, possibly with some residual embers, or was it completely cold?
It happened to me once from a "still hot" state, but without great consequences.
0 x
GuyGadebois
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by GuyGadebois » 23/03/20, 19:02

sicetaitsimple wrote:
GuyGadebois wrote:My wife had just loaded the stove with nut shells to have some logs taken. It was then that the gas and smoke accumulated in it caught fire, well no, literally exploded ....

Christophe just mentioned it, but that's the question I wanted to ask: was the stove still hot, possibly with some residual embers, or was it completely cold?
It happened to me once from a "still hot" state, but without great consequences.

Residual embers, not very hot stove. I think that what remained of the walnut pieces in the hulls created a "greasy" gas and that the saturation of the hearth and the duct created a draft causing the explosion. But damn it, it was impressive. The cats didn't come back (literally).
The pin on this lock was completely bent!
stuv-30-30in-bolt-glass-door-and-full-14997090-1.jpeg
stuv-30-30in-lock-glass-door-and-full-14997090-1.jpeg (22.17 KB) Viewed 7130 times
0 x
“It is better to mobilize your intelligence on bullshit than to mobilize your bullshit on intelligent things. (J.Rouxel)
"By definition the cause is the product of the effect". (Tryphion)
"360 / 000 / 0,5 is 100 million and not 72 million" (AVC)
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 23/03/20, 19:12

I have never had this phenomenon .... but it must be indeed impressive.
1 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 23/03/20, 19:33

GuyGadebois wrote:Residual embers, not very hot stove. I think that what remained of the walnut pieces in the hulls created a "greasy" gas and that the saturation of the hearth and the duct created a draft causing the explosion. But damn it, it was impressive. The cats didn't come back (literally).

Not sure about leftover nuts, but good.
Your stove has switched to "gasifier" mode because there was no flame to "ignite" the volatile materials that were released from the fuels under the effect of the residual heat.
In the industry, this is called a "boiler pouf". it can be devastating.
The standards (NFPA for example, which although American refer to everywhere) impose a fairly long sweep (1 / 2h of memory) of the boiler in air before restarting a restart following a stop, to be sure that there is no accumulation of unburnt gases.
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 23/03/20, 19:59

When I had a reverse combustion wood boiler, if I opened the loading door when the fuel load was not almost completely burned, it was systematic, since I introduced air (therefore oxygen) in a mass of gas at ignition temperature ...
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 23/03/20, 23:51

Hello,
A bad draft, a counter draft due to a VMC or an insufficient outside air intake? Has your stuv30 been installed correctly? http://www.duvivier.be/medias/documents ... 181658.pdf

page 34: adjustment of a stop to avoid the risk of explosion.
0 x