Which websites to buy seeds?

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Did67

Re: Which websites to buy seeds?

by Did67 » 18/07/17, 23:04

olivier75 wrote:
Taste is also taken into account, f1 does not mean without taste, and less and less.

Generally speaking, an F1 hybrid is a "combination" of traits that have been "assembled" from the pure lines used as parents. To take the example of my batavia (although I do not know any hybrid batavia), this would consist in having a parent A, very resistant to the rise in seeds, a parent B having a pleasant nutty flavor, a parent C forming beautiful apples and a parent D with red leaves.

All these characters were "concentrated" in these lines, then in both parents, by consanguinity ... They are "homozygous" - that is to say that in their descendants, it will inevitably be found. Inbreeding will lead to a sort of degeneration (corn production fields are easily recognized - we have small corn).

So by crossing all this, we will have a hybrid with all these characteristics every time.

And curiously enough, instead of regaining the initial vigor, we have heterosis effect, a bit as if the plants were "happy" that we had finally crossed them. The heterosis effect, also called "hybrid vigor". In short, 1 + 1 = 2,2 or 2,3 ... The 0,2 or 0,3 in addition, it is heterosis ... It is a "gift of nature".

This is what has boosted the development of hybrids.

This is a natural phenomenon, which we know in nature - "bastards" are often less puny than purebred dogs, which often have "congenital" defects.

But it depends on the species. In wheat, the hybrids did not break through. The heterosis did not justify the additional cost ...
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 18/07/17, 23:14

olivier75 wrote:
For GMOs studies show contamination of non-GMO crops, across Canada, of several%. For hybrids, I do not think that contamination studies on native plants are done.
FYI, I cultivate F1 varieties, classics, rare, I make some seeds, and I intend to keep shallots, garlic and some potatoes in seeds.

Olivier.

Contamination by GMOs concerns a very specific problem: the GMO contains genes that are not those of the species in question; genetics have been introduced into corn that allow Bacillus thuringiensis to manufacture enzymes that allow it to manufacture toxins that allow it to shoot caterpillars ... In others, manipulation aims to endow it with genes that allow it to "digest" the Round Up, which makes it possible to treat the corn fields with Round Up.

And there is therefore a risk that these genes are found in the plant world, that other plants acquire this capacity and become on the one hand "super-wild". The other risk is that with this synthesis of toxins, resistance develops in nature.

It is this very precise contamination that raises the question.

Not that the "red" leaves of a cultivated lettuce contaminate wild lettuce. Because as said, it is done, but these genes "red leaves" man did not create them. It assembles, by selection, only genes already existing in nature. Someone found a wild lettuce somewhere with red leaves. Otherwise, we wouldn't have red leaf lettuce (since we didn't "handle" the lettuce).

A nuance, because in horticulture, many things have been tried to find curious plants, genus black tulip ... including nuclear bombing in reactors to cause mutations ... They were not GMOs. And yet, the risk of contamination existed. With an almost zero probability that such a chimera plant survives in nature. A black tulip, already cared for in my garden, not sure that it will survive long ... So in the wild!

While with GMOs, it is much less safe!
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 18/07/17, 23:16

Ahmed wrote:Do not forget either that due to evolution, plant selection existed long before humans got involved! If the plants "take the trouble to make" beautiful sweet fruits with beautiful colors, it is above all so that animals consume them * and disperse their seeds (obviously, my formulation is a shortcut, since it does not there is no intentionality) ...

* And at the right time, when the seeds are mature: before this stage the fruits are bitter and green in color (the latter character being not very visible among the leaves).

Yes, this co-evolution, sometimes very surprising of plant and animal species, essentially through reproduction (dissemination, fertilization) is also a form of selection ... We can say that the orchids were selected by the bees, otherwise they would never have had these curious forms ...
1 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 18/07/17, 23:20

"mongrels" are often less puny than purebred dogs, which often have "congenital" defects.

This illustrates the fact that it is impossible to select a large number of criteria: if one wants a dog which presents a set of precise characteristics, it will be difficult not to select at the same time an undesirable character. Another reason being that certain sought-after characters weaken ipso facto the cultivar obtained: thus, dogs with a crushed muzzle suffer from respiratory difficulties of a mechanical nature.
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
olivier75
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by olivier75 » 18/07/17, 23:22

Ahmed,
Yes, I should have noted and / or in place of the decimal point, the fact and that the varieties f1 respond to the commercial concerns of the moment, and that they are numerous, but the first are indeed resistance to transport, to diseases , and homogeneity.
It should be noted that any agronomic research attempts to meet a demand, from the producer, the reseller or the consumer in order to make them profitable.
Olivier
0 x
olivier75
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by olivier75 » 18/07/17, 23:27

Ahmed,
For voluntary and multiple modifications crisp-cas9 risks changing the situation.
The obstacle is / will be the understanding of the effects of genes, because of the vastness of the data.
Olivier.
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 18/07/17, 23:38

Completely agree with your penultimate message.
The crisp-case can probably change a lot (to see), but not the commercial aspect ...
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 05/02/20, 01:00

Certain provenances to avoid in order not to spread viruses
ANSES has launched an alert on an emerging tomato virus: ToBRFV. This virus affects the production of tomatoes, peppers and peppers worldwide. The first reports date from 2014 in Israel and 2015 in Jordan. In 2018, the virus was reported in Mexico, the United States, Germany and Italy. Since then, the geographic distribution of ToBRFV has evolved with confirmed declarations in China, Turkey, Greece, the Netherlands, the United Kingdom and Spain. It has been eradicated in Germany and the United States. In 2019, emergency measures were adopted at European level to respond to this emergence. In this context, the Agency conducted a risk assessment for metropolitan France. https://www.anses.fr/fr/content/l%E2%80 ... g%C3%A8res
0 x
stephgouv
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by stephgouv » 13/03/20, 14:15

Most of my seeds come from Sowing (family seed company in Belgium in the province of Namur).
Each year they organize an open day to discover their installations (22 and 23/08/2020).
I've never been there, because it's been 3-4 years in a row that I would like and each time I have another thing that prevents me ... but maybe this year will be fine .. .
0 x