Operation of a nuclear power plant (with Jammy)

Oil, gas, coal, nuclear (PWR, EPR, hot fusion, ITER), gas and coal thermal power plants, cogeneration, tri-generation. Peakoil, depletion, economics, technologies and geopolitical strategies. Prices, pollution, economic and social costs ...
Christophe

by Christophe » 13/12/11, 14:00

dedeleco talks about a serious accident situation and me about a test situation as part of a preventive maintenance program (concrete porosity / tightness test) ...

Of course, we do not risk to understand each other !! : Cheesy:

In Fukushima, in my opinion, the reactor building whose concrete slab blew up had not even gone up to 5 bars (there were leaks everywhere already!) ... given the surfaces, much less is enough to make the stopper "! Is there any info on that fact somewhere?

Porosity test under 5 bars and structural resistance under 5 bars ... it's not the same!
0 x
Remundo

by Remundo » 13/12/11, 14:39

Christophe wrote:Yes, Remundo but the question that arises is just to know if the concrete of the BR is put totally under 5 bars, i.e. the entire building presurized (something that would greatly surprise me given the constraints therefore It must be done in small parts with a kind of "robot sucker") ...

It was not clear in it's not rocket science ... that's it!

Of course, yes Christophe: if the control valves are defective or clogged, the pressure rises and becomes uniform throughout the inner wall of the reactor. It's like a big bottle under pressure.

In practice, it crack. There can also be an explosion of hydrogen or steam, in this case, it jumps on the most fragile places like a champagne cork.
0 x
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 13/12/11, 14:54

In Japan, it was not necessary to pollute radioactive, and therefore they kept at low pressure, without realizing it (complex piping going even to a reactor at rest which also farted) and this little exploded, contrary to the miracle of 3 miles Islands !!
0 x
Christophe

Re: Operation of a nuclear power plant (with Jammy)

by Christophe » 21/02/20, 13:41

Update!

Here are the videos of C'est pas Sorcier sur le nuclear (on their official account so they will not be deleted):

https://www.econologie.com/nucleaire-pr ... -centrale/

https://www.econologie.com/connaitre-fo ... eaire-edf/

https://www.econologie.com/nucleaire-tr ... e-dechets/

Watch also:

0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 21/02/20, 13:53

0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 21/02/20, 14:29

To answer the above questions, from 2011, each reactor building is subjected to an "enclosure test" at around 5bar (the entire building is inflated to 5bar) before commissioning and then at each ten-yearly overhaul.
https://www.irsn.fr/FR/expertise/rappor ... 201412.pdf
1 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 21/02/20, 15:08

I ignored this test which seems very restrictive (if I dare say!)

Because 5 bars is 5 kg / cm2 so ... 50 kg / m000 ... or 2 T / m50!

In total, that makes tons that the structure of a BR must support! I do not know the exact size of a BR but assuming that the dome is 1000m2 (= 35 m radius = 70 m diameter).

It is therefore 50 tonnes when pulled up that the BR must support (tractive load distributed over the annular walls in the crown of the BR).

Concrete is very resistant to compression, much less tensile!

I would be curious to make a more precise estimate of the MPa in the walls during this test!

Otherwise it would be "Pouf Champagne"!
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 21/02/20, 15:16

Christophe wrote:I ignored this test which seems very restrictive (if I dare say!)

The concrete of a reactor building is prestressed.

http://efreyssinet-association.com/un-p ... contraint/
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 21/02/20, 15:29

Yes I imagine that it is the TOP of what we know to do in concrete ...

Okay if you find me the dimensions of a BR I would like to quickly calculate the tensile stresses at 5 bars ...

It does not prevent 5 bars it is a lot from a RoW point of view but it is nothing in case of melting of the heart ... We all remember the BR which exploded in Fukushima and whose roof of the BR is raised 100 m high! (about)
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 21/02/20, 15:46

Christophe wrote:Yes I imagine that it is the TOP of what we know to do in concrete ...
Good if you find me the dimensions of a BR I want to make the quick calculation of tensile stresses at 5 bars ... I

For a 900MW, 37m in diameter and 59m high.
You even have the characteristics of prestressing cables.
Enjoy!

https://www.techniques-ingenieur.fr/bas ... 10002.html

The containment walls of the REP 900 project mainly consist of a cylindrical prestressed concrete building 37 m in diameter and 59 m in height. The thickness of the wall of the cylindrical skirt is 0,90 m, that of the dome of 0,80 m. The 3,50 m thick slab is made of reinforced concrete (Figure 2).
1 x